JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Carlos Hathcock , Chris Kyle ......and many more ......were just poor mouth breathing country boys . Many Canadian top snipers were just poor hunters found in the walmart parking lot . Lots of underestimation going on, not a good trait.

The only problem is that gun owners are a minority. without support of a significant portion of the populace, any rebellion would flounder and eventually fail.

IMO it would depend entirely on what the problem is. Given enough abuse, or a foreign invasion, the populace will either stand, or stand aside... either way would be fine.

I think it would take an existential threat to the nation to make us stop bickering - and start organizing & fighting a common enemy.

An invading army would probably be a catalyst to bring us together. A complete societal collapse could have a similar effect, since we would either work together to survive, or perish.

^^^ This!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everybody please remember that only about 30% of the population wanted to be free of British rule. Of those, about 30% were willing, or able, to fight. Yet the rest of the population either helped or stood aside and let the revolutionaries carry on. What scenario would it take? I don't know. But it is conceivable that fighting as a rag tag force could happen, at least initially. Then, as word spreads, a leader or leaders will appear and organize different sized forces. Probably not a real army, but the article doesn't really talk about a real army. Consider it an opposing force instead. Don't tread on me!!!

If the US populace didn't support a rebellion then they would probably oppose it. For any rebellion you pretty much need support of the general populace, otherwise the populace will not only not give you support (food, shelter, etc.), they will inform on you - your whereabouts, your family, etc.

In most conflicts between a major army (invading or not) and a rebellion, the underground needed the support of the populace and often the support of external nations.

While there may be many more gun owners, most of us don't individually have the tens to hundreds of thousands of rounds per person to engage in firefights. Most of us don't have the training/experience either - we would get wiped out. I personally wouldn't last more than a few minutes against a military force - if that. Also, as already mentioned, we are a divisive community - we don't really share enough common goals to be united enough that we wouldn't be picked off individually.

An Army requires training and discipline. Is that right and if so why did we lose 56000+ ( I know 58000+ not combat) combat troops in Nam and god only knows how many wounded. They hit and ran, they snipped, they booby trapped they mostly only took on fights they new they could win and most didn't wear uniforms. Afghanistan is the same thing. We'll be there forever because we are not taking the casualties to make the people say that's enough. The people on this tread that think COMBAT trained makes them some kind of super fighter I like to know what army trained them. It sure as hell wasn't the U.S. Army. Hold your rifle over your head and shoot over a wall, walk in the open, stop and pick up the wounded so you can get it to. Oh and now days don't shoot until shot at. Boy that's just a great way to fight. If your going to win a Gorilla war you can't do it in large groups. 1,2,3 pick 1 or 2 off at distance and leave. If sh-- hits I'll be the old guy down the street by day and work nights.

An Army requires training and discipline. Is that right and if so why did we lose 56000+ ( I know 58000+ not combat) combat troops in Nam and god only knows how many wounded.

Yes a Army requires training and discipline...Just where and how did the Viet Cong and NVA learn to fight that way... by training , discipline and years of fighting experience...

Any of my other comments you wish to paraphrase comes from my combat experience...
Make of that what you will and do what you want...
I know what I can and will do.
Andy

Do NOT underestimate the US military.

They get better every day.

Especially the pilots.

30736695-1F07-4BF2-A121-F8A1163D3B10.jpeg

I'm almost seventy. I never was a super soldier even in my teenage dreams.
I volunteered for Vietnam three times, but never got orders so my service was mostly stateside.
I have no illusions of being a resistance hero. In fact I have zero expectations of living through a civil uprising. I've lived too long for internet badassery.

I live at my BOL in the woods in the foothills with three water sources, food, medical supplies and the means to defend it.
I have enough of everything to take care of four or five of my immediate neighbors & friends, including provisions and water purification for them as well as extra arms and ammunition.

I figure that if God is with me, I can help others and possibly make a difference. If not, whoever kills me is going to get some good stuff.

After cancer, bypass surgery, heart disease, the ugly deterioration and death of my wife from Alzheimer's, if the worst that can happen is that I shuffle off this mortal coil, so be it.

I'm pretty sure it will be terrible and I hope I'd survive but I'm already way past my expiration date and every day is a free play.

I also highly doubt that the U.S. military is going to be willing on the whole, to obey orders to shoot U.S. civilians on U.S. soil anytime soon.(its going to take a LOT more than whats currently being pushed by media and certain people)
The FBI, and State Police forces and city police on the other hand....:confused:

Honestly, whatever happens, happens. Again, building a closer, more tight knit community that can watch each others backs... maybe the communities wont be 100% armed, but likely there'll be posses armed and the communities are providing some support... depending on what is going on.. high likely with the rise of reported police brutality, violence, and anti police sentiments as well as pro police sentiments, that this specific arena would be where an insurrection/rebellion/civil war would erupt.. again, if people are pushed to a certain point, and publicly.

One of my favorite threads I've read on this site.
My vote for best quote,
"It's all happened before."

And this may be my favorite quote, from a gentleman from Poland who was instrumental in the early day of the pre-State Jewish underground:
"We do not fight to be free; we fight because we are free"
Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern

Last Edited:
I'm almost seventy. I never was a super soldier even in my teenage dreams.

After cancer, bypass surgery, heart disease, the ugly deterioration and death of my wife from Alzheimer's, if the worst that can happen is that I shuffle off this mortal coil, so be it.

I'm pretty sure it will be terrible and I hope I'd survive but I'm already way past my expiration date and every day is a free play.

I'm with you! It's been a good life, but I'm on the downhill side and pretty much coasting. If I lose my life fighting in a worthy cause, it's no big deal. The only concern I have is that my wife is on the Alzheimer's track, just starting. If I was gone I'm not sure who would take care of her.

Eastern Oregon and Eastern Washington farmers and ranchers would watch their land dry up and blow away.

Says the city boy from Seattle.

I agree, without the federal government, they never would have been there to begin with.

Says yet another western resident.... you got facts to back that up? Certainly there are subsidies, just like in the Willamette valley. Lefties call it welfare for farmers, but I don't see you complaining about the breaks you get in the tax code!!

BTW, the Grande Ronde valley was settled and farmed by my wife's ancestors way before Oregon was even a state. Never would have been here, you don't know your (Oregon) state history!!! I suggest a trip to the Oregon Trail Museum outside of Baker City where you can see the history of thousands of farmers that came here from across the nation.

"Grande Ronde is a French name meaning "great round". A portion Grande Ronde and its valley were part of the Oregon Trail. It was first used by settlers in 1844 when Moses "Black" Harris led his party to the river from Fort Hall and then turned northwest to cross the Blue Mountains."

A relative of Black Harris, Joseph Harris homesteaded here near the north end of the valley. One of the peaks nearby is named Mt. Harris. My wife is related to Harris and we attend the Harris family reunions held here every year. But we never would have been here w/o federal subsidies. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last Edited:
For those here thinking of small unit tactics / guerilla warfare...
Having some experience in Guerilla Warfare...
It is tough nasty business for sure...Especially if the "warfare" devolves into a series of personal vendettas and one after another in a series of reprisals.

I lived through it , and taught / advised others in how to do so as well....I hope to never again have to use those skills.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top