JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I remember right back in the late 1700's a bunch of hunters, woodsmen and few others run a bunch of trained Red Coats out of this country. I also remember about 45 years ago there was one hell of a lot of men trained for combat that are still alive today and armed.

Yes Thank God we had the likes of Washington, Lafayette and others to train them as an army.

There is a big difference between hunting.something with a gun and hunting something that has a gun that knows how to use it. To.me simply having a gun does not make you proficient with it like a milatary would be.

I don't think hunters have to report to lawyers for their actions or follow NATO guidelines either. Pretty sure not only would it have been messy but probably a lot of "inhumane" actions performed on the enemies invading.

Not to mention that ammo isn't round ball a lot of it fragments... And the range of ammo is not just NATO rounds or limited guns and caliber. I think that freedom would make a big difference.

I'm not sure what a 45/70 +p would do if used today in war with a modern rifle but.... My guess it would be messy.

And then you have to factor in the redneck science, I think it probably would have been messier then the farmers in the Viet cong.

Well, the Founders would have hung 90% of DC long before now and we would have that standing army at the ready.

But I'll still take a bunch of pissed off Americans over most anything and anybody up to NBC warfare and even then, many of us are ready for that too.
*As ready as one can be.

Call them Fudds, Bubbas, or anything you like - but the hunters in the USA have been (and are) a force to be reckoned with.

Copied from Facebook:

"Food for thought when next we consider gun control."

Here's an interesting side bar. After the Japanese decimated our fleet in Pearl Harbor Dec 7, 1941, they could have sent their troop ships and carriers directly to California to finish what they started. The prediction from our Chief of Staff was we would not be able to stop a massive invasion until they reached the Mississippi River. Remember, we had a 2 million man army and war ships in other localities, so why did they not invade?

After the war, the remaining Japanese generals and admirals were asked that question. Their answer....they knew that almost every home had guns and the Americans knew how to use them.

1. The world's largest army ... America 's hunters! I had never thought about this....

2. A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

3. There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin .

4. Allow me to restate that number.

5. Over the last several months, Wisconsin 's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

6. More men under arms than in Iran .

7. More than in France and Germany combined.

8. These men deployed to the woods of a single American state to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.

9. That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan's 700,000 hunters,

10. All of whom have now returned home.

11. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that

12. The hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. The number of Hunters in the state of Texas would be the largest standing army in the world by itself.

13. The point?

14. America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

15. Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

16. That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

17. Food for thought when next we consider gun control.

View attachment 582637
That's all great .
Now all we need is a RED DAWN EVENT.
TO PROVE IT.
So is Iran going to invade the U.S.
Nope .
Is Mexico or Canda.
Nope How bout North Korea.
Nope . Japan nope.
You really want to know how the United States will fall.
It will be from with in
We are on a course to kill ourselves.

You see all those Country's and more are all ready invading us.
Little bit at a time 10 or 20 cross the boarder every day .
But thousands are welcome in threw the government student programs and work programs.
And when there time is up THEY STAY.
HB1 VISA EXPIRED.
Oh well I can stay .
Because I live and work in a state or city that will protect me from being DEPORTED.

Last Edited:
stop thinking conventional warfare and think insurgency......kill you in your sleep insurgency.
Out where 2/3rds of the city boys are going to "bug out" ......these guys are going to be already , and they know the AO intimately. My bet, most internet warriors wont make it over the first ridge.

numbers are one thing and equating hunters to firearms is smart if you are looking at opposing them.
the real question is how many would fight or instead of jeopardizing their lifestyle and family with prison would give up their firearms and comply? you can cut those numbers of hunters by more than 2/3's. That's their choice as we all have a line drawn in the sand we wont cross when it comes to family.
i think it would be safe to assume 95% of the hunters don't shoot in any other position than a bench. maybe off a back pack or shooting sticks a couple times before they go to the field. but that's about it. when i was back east i met hunters who used the same box of ammo for the past 10+ yrs. They zeroed their rifle years prior and then just shot once to hit a vital and called it good before the season. If they didn't hit anything they just put the rounds back in the box for the next season.
i would assume most never fired their "Hunting rifles" under duress let alone trying to replicate a two way live fire range.
now rednecks are rednecks and they bring their own unique flavor to the fight regardless of location.

just my two cents...……………………………………………….

It takes more than having a gun or even being able to shoot well to make an army.

Some things that I have learned after four combat tours :
One has to be able to fight and get to the fight...
Have the willingness to go and do what is needed , without thought of ones personal needs or wants...
To be able to endure boredom , repetition , stress , poor or even no chow , weather , being away from ones family...for what seems like an endless amount of time...
Able to both lead and be willing to be lead...
Accepting the notion that even if you are willing , have the best in training , gear , skills etc...that chance , bad luck ,
timing , etc...means that you still can get killed , while others may live...

Life in the Army , especially in a combat zone is not at all like any book , movie or video game....it is :
Harsh...
Stressful...
Boring...
And to survive , one needs results...as in what gets you the results that you need , with the least amount of loss...is what needs to be done...Sounds somewhat simple...but it ain't.
Andy

To be able to endure boredom , repetition , stress , poor or even no chow , weather , being away from ones family...

Many of these reasons are why I don't go hunting. I don't get how people can sit out in a hunting blind bored for hours. It's gotta be boring, cold, lonely.... Hopefully they bring good food with them but my guess is the poor hunters don't.

All that waiting for the brief hope that an animal might come by. I guess I'm just spoiled by all the entertainment provided in today's society. Young people go hunting though, what do they do play cards?

Many of these reasons are why I don't go hunting. I don't get how people can sit out in a hunting blind bored for hours. It's gotta be boring, cold, lonely.... Hopefully they bring good food with them but my guess is the poor hunters don't.

All that waiting for the brief hope that an animal might come by. I guess I'm just spoiled by all the entertainment provided in today's society. Young people go hunting though, what do they do play cards?
I can not equate hunting with combat...
A bad hunting day , I can still come home...a bad day in combat , means that I or someone else won't be coming home...
Andy

Just a couple of the many things 3 combat tours in Vietnam taught me:

Combat requires a level of mental and physical hardness that's become a rarity in our country. In a military environment, most, but not all of that hardness is instilled in recruits through months of rigorous training. The remainder has to be created by the individual soldier through the sheer force of their own will.
Theorizing and speculating about it is all well and good, but until you've walked willingly into the mouth of Hell you do not understand it.
Yup, the US has lots of gun owners and hunters, but damn few of them have what it takes to stand their ground and fight when the bullets and shrapnel are flying, and the screaming of their dying and injured friends and enemies are ringing in their ears.

I get your point.

My response is this:

I have cousins in the Deep South who are excellent woodsmen and hunters, and I pity the fool who truly pisses off one of those guys. There are millions of men in the US just like them.

Added to that is the huge number of veterans who can still pull a trigger.

Added to that are all the family members who've been taught to shoot, from a young age.

And then there's us, too. The gimpy old grandpas and grandmas who know how to shoot.

For every one of those guys described above, there's a fat, beer-drinking, out of shape guy that never leaves his truck during hunting season or otherwise.

Last Edited:
When I was in the service I was in my 20's. I am now approaching 60. That 20 year old could do things I wish I could do today but I cant. Thete is a reason there are very few if any active duty 50 year olds.

I can not equate hunting with combat...
A bad hunting day , I can still come home...

Just a couple of the many things 3 combat tours in Vietnam taught me:

When I was in the service I was in my 20's

Thank you for your sacrifice...

I know I'm a bit early, and a lot of people don't like being thanked for that. I have the privelage of having a lot of friends and family that served, and you tend to be a better caliber then most.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top