JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interesting article about a guy who made a 3D-printed AR-15 (M16) lower receiver for $30. I guess for anywhere from $500 to $1800 you can purchase a 3D printer and bang our polymer lowers all day long. He could probably make stocks, rails and other stuff too. Wouldn't that be cool! Go to a web forum, download a new lower design, upload it to your 3D printer and hit the start button.

The world’s first 3D-printed gun | ExtremeTech

I thought this was kind of a BS statement from the site, something to incite fear for the ignorant. There is plenty ignorance in the statement as well and it boarders on what I could consider anti gun.

While this pistol obviously wasn't created from scratch using a 3D printer, the interesting thing is that the lower receiver — in a legal sense at least — is what actually constitutes a firearm. Without a lower receiver, the gun would not work; thus, the receiver is the actual legally-controlled part.

In short, this means that people without gun licenses — or people who have had their licenses revoked — could print their own lower receiver and build a complete, off-the-books gun. What a chilling though

Nevermind the fact with a good CNC machine anyone's been able to too this for years.

Here a bunch of firearms someone could make on their own.
CNCGuns download list

Of, someone with some skills and calipers wouldn't even need a CNC program. Now, 3-D printing on the other hand is an amazing technology. Some of the stuff Jay Leno's been doing with it in the car world is fantastic. They technology reminds me of a stone age version of the replicator from Star Trek.

Nothing illegal about making yourself a firearm as long as you would be able to legally possess it in your state and it does not fall under the umbrella of a NFA weapon.

I know guys who have built everything from .22 target pistols to 8lb bowling ball motars.

So much for Gun Control.

Any gang can print their own lowers for a few bucks and purchase all the uppers they want with impunity.

Now maybe we can get back to CRIMINAL CONTROL. As in the WA legislature recognizing that a 16 y/o murderer needs to get more than two years in kiddie jail.

And if you don't want to plunk down at money for the 3D printer itself there are services that will print things for you if you upload a CAD file. Shapeways I think is one. Although they would probably realize what you were doing and refuse to do it. Cost depends on the size and what material you want it in.

I actually read awhile back where some guy with CAD knowledge drafted a replacement part for a high end stroller out of a better material than the original broken part since the company wanted more than the stroller was worth for the part. Think it was about 30 bucks to have it printed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

In short, this means that people without gun licenses — or people who have had their licenses revoked — could print their own lower receiver and build a complete, off-the-books gun. What a chilling thought.

Gun licenses? Huh?

Also, they could just get 80% lowers as well. There's really nothing novel here in terms of "gun control".

Overall the writer of this article needs to research his topic much more thoroughly. It is really shoddy work actually.

Regardless of their topic dejur, I'm really tired of the poor quality reporters just going for sensationalist crap

Baby steps. They expected failure within 20 rounds. Its just a matter of time! The first airplane did not fly very far! These will get better and better.

They won't make it much further if they don't learn some decent safety rules about protecting their eyes and ears. Plus it looks like they edited the video just before he muzzled the camera.

Anyone who has lived through a gun exploding in their face (Ruger 10/22 in my case) knows they should have been remotely bench firing that weapon.

A new low in manners, even for an internet gun board.

Bringing politics into a non-political discussion is extremely rude, but there are cretans who can, apparently, never resist.

What are you talking about? I have not seen one partisan comment on "left vs. right" in this thread so far. Do you consider a comment on fighting crime effectively, or 3D printing up a hot chick (w/a spare backup... LMAO, btw) "politics"?

He may be referrring to my comment to take the blue pill, which was not political, but more a reference to The Matrix after Morpheus' comment. Morpheus in the movie said:

"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill, the story ends, you will wake up in your bed and believe what you want to believe. You take the red pill, you will stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

Here is a different article on the same release - 6 shots.
The 3D-Printed Gun For the Masses Doesn't Actually Work Very Well - Technology - The Atlantic Wire

But I strongly agree it will work. If you were printing with the 'right' material it would work. It will take a while to get there - but it will.

Why this is important is because more than guns benefit. If you have a classic car and need a part, how do you get it? Some you can have some things made - like sheet metal. But how about a bracket - could you really afford to have one manufactured? What about printed? or What about printing in something like wax to create a mold?

The 3D Printing market is hugely important.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top