JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just came across a great survival movie called "The Way Back" about a group of political prisoners who escape from a Soviet gulag and walk 4000 miles to freedom. Along the way they do things to survive that would make Bear Grylls look like a lightweight. Keep in mind they did this feat with no weapons, no supplies, and no experience. It is based on a true story of events that happened in 1940.

The movie was released briefly in the US and is most likely on dvd/blu ray now, or I'm sure you can find it on Netflix. Or if you don't mind streaming the movie I can pm you a link.

Here is the trailer

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this movie being one that I wanted to see but it was out of the cinema in a flash. Zip me the link when you have a moment, please.

-d

It appears that this movie is based on Slavomir-Rawicz' book 'The Long Walk'. Since the film involves a party of Gulag escapees, including a woman they find along the way, who are trekking across the Gobi and the Himalayas to reach India, I think the movie is based on this book. It is a magnificent and inspiring read...that is mostly a load of bull. As much as I'd like to believe Slamovir's story, the details don't add up. In one instance, he describes his party as walking eleven days through the Gobi---during daylight hours---without water. This is physically impossible. He also says that his party observed a Yeti family while crossing the Himalayas. Slamovir was in real life a Polish officer that was interred in a Soviet Gulag in the early ears of WWII, and wound up a year and a half later fighting in the area of Palestine if I remember the details correctly. However there is no collaborating evidence of any of the happenings in between.

There actually were folks who actually did escape from Siberian Gulags who then walked enormous distances to freedom. One actually walked as far as Africa. Unfortunately I don't think Slamovir was one of them.

Keith

It's based on "The Long Walk" by Rawicz. The book, while an excellent engrossing read, has essentially been dismissed as a fraud. He claims to have walked overland to India from Siberia, eating almost nothing and averaging over 30 miles a day in rubber boots.

" In one instance, he describes his party as walking eleven days through the Gobi---during daylight hours---without water. This is physically impossible. " Unless he was drinking the blood of his companions, I agree. Too bad. I love tales of humans pushing endurance to the limits. Ernst Shackleton is still my champ. If anyone hasn't read his tale, it is a brilliant example of small unit leadership and triumphing over overwhelming odds.

The book maybe bs (btw trainskg from what your saying its probably the same one, except no Yetis in the movie) but the movie is well worth watching.

It is a fantastic book, well worth the read and very inspiring. I was very, very disappointed when I started researching the details. One reason i started digging into the story was the walk through the Gobi without water. There was no Google or Fact Check when Slavomir wrote this book, so he pretty much could write anything he wanted and get away with it. In real life, he was probably released from the Gulag under a general amnesty (many of them happened arbitrarily and for no reason throughout the tenure of the Gulag penal system).

Keith

"It is a fantastic book, well worth the read and very inspiring. I was very, very disappointed when I started researching the details. One reason i started digging into the story was the walk through the Gobi without water."

my experience exactly. Also, the daily mileages just didn't add up to me, especially in light of their impoverished conditions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top