JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have heard that in some places the state only has 90 DAYS to get you your license by law.
In Oregon and Utah it is 60 days. The kicker is.... that its from the time of application. No one says they have to allow you to apply in a reasonable amount of time.
On a brighter note, I just got mine from Clackamas county last month, and it took less than 3 weeks from the application date until it was in my hands.:s0155:

Anyone in Oregon have any "inside info" on which counties are particularly friendly and accomodating to out of state residents in getting their own CHL? I've heard it is, for non-residents, "discretionary" for the local constabulary to issue, not issue, or think about it for a long time. Obviously, Multnomah would not be a good choice. I've heard that, technically, one is supposed to apply to the sheriff in the county "closest" to his out of state residence. I've also heard this is not regulated much, even outright ignored.

I'd like to find an Oregon county to go to, apply, and have a minimum of fuss and delay. State law requires one to have "compelling reason", from what I understand.... I've also heard that some counties consider "personal protection" to be a compelling reason. In others, I've heard you just about have to be a private detective, travelling jewel merchant, or Bill Gates to satisfy them.

Since I live in Olympia, I am thinking Washington, Columbia, and Clatsop, perhaps Hood River counties might qualify. I also spend some time down in Grants Pass and Medford areas, so maybe Josephine and Jackson might be possibilities. Anyone with some inside info on these counties and their eagerness to accomodate non-residents , please speak up.....

Also, do I understand correctly that, in order to get the Oregon CHL, one must pass a handgun safety class approved by Oregon? Even with an out of state permit?

All these interstate differences and confusion are, well, confusing... and I'll wager create a number of criminals. Seems what is reasonable and makes perfect sense in one state is considered insane and grounds for a night in the local Greybar Hotel in others.... I do wish the federal legislation I heard about some time ago, making ALL handgun permits reciprocal to all other states, and at least somewhat doing away with all the stupid technicalities, would get passed... but it seems our legislators are bent upon more diabolical measures these days....

Getting a CPL or buying a hand gun with your CPL is very pain less in Washington state.
I renewed mine about a month ago and all i did was walk into the local sheriffs office and filled out a couple of forms and paid my 32.00 and it came a week later in the mail.
as for buying a gun, all I do is fill out the 2 forms they give you, hand them my CPL and drivers Lic. and they call it in to NICS and about 5 minutes later they come back and tell me I passed the back ground check.
I pay them and walk out the door with my new gun.
easy as pie.
:winkkiss::winkkiss::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Yep. Real easy here in Washinton. And, as said, getting a CPL is a piece of cake. No courses to take, no appointments to make, and then no waiting for monthes to finally receive the license, etc. :)

I'll concede that Washington's system is less onerous than many.... and it is a SHALL ISSUE system, too. Except for those folks who are not citizens. The non-resident alien permit and nonsense basically said citizens only can carry. But the Constitution says "the people", not "the citizens".. Looks like that requirement has been struck down as unconstitutional, but from what I've learned since that decision, they've not moved very quickly to implement the changes. Resident aliens still can't get the CPL. Nor, it seems, can US citizens residing abroad, and visiting home. A long way to go yet before "shall not be infringed" is a reality. And the crazy patchwork of laws restricting carrying/possessing loaded weapons for non-CPL holders is, well, crazy. A very high second place reason I'm getting my own CPL. Its just far too easy to become a "criminal" without one, unless you leave all your guns at home/fixed place of business.

BUT-- when I consider some of the other states (California, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Winconsin, I guess I'd better not commplain too loudly.....those states are so bad if I lived there I'd have to move.....

I let my ccw in Jackson County, OR expire accidentally. I went in yesterday, walked up to the counter, and found out I now need to have my picture taken. They whipped me right through the whole deal - in and out in 15 minutes.

Because the new plastic license has to be printed, and because they run the background check every renewal (every 4 years) they will mail me the ccw. They said within 2 weeks.

Next time I'll apply early, but I did like just walking up to the counter and being treated very, very nice...

BTW, a touch off-topic, our Jackson County Sheriff is the guy who refused the Medford Mail Tribune's request for a list of ccw holders under the "freedom of information act." He said releasing the names would be a danger to the holders - announce who owns guns to the thieves.

The Mail Tribune sued and it went to appellate court but before that could get settled, our state legislature passed a law making the lists private.

Thumbs up to our sheriff. :s0155:

BTW, a touch off-topic, our Jackson County Sheriff is the guy who refused the Medford Mail Tribune's request for a list of ccw holders under the "freedom of information act." He said releasing the names would be a danger to the holders - announce who owns guns to the thieves.

The Mail Tribune sued and it went to appellate court but before that could get settled, our state legislature passed a law making the lists private.

Thumbs up to our sheriff. :s0155:

Not private anymore. Get ready. Thieves are on there way to buy news papers right now!

Ticks me off! Discrimination, harassment, risk of Theft, and Identity theft, etc. Why make the law abiding citizen a target??? Oh that's right, Liberals don't use Logic and Reason.

Ticks me off! Discrimination, harassment, risk of Theft, and Identity theft, etc. Why make the law abiding citizen a target??? Oh that's right, Liberals don't use Logic and Reason.

Nor do they use guns, or like anyone else who does. Talk about "tolerance"..... yeah, that only works one way. THEIR way.

I got my original from Multnomah county after two weeks of waiting, then moved to Hillsboro and get my double from Washington County after 2 weeks of waiting and I just get mind renew from Josephine County after two weeks of apply.... I am just lucky I guess. :)

Well, I had my appointment today, was a little early, had everything already filled out ahead of time and it only took about 15 minutes. The Clackamas County CHL office only has one desk and one person. She stated that she has about 25 appointments each day and even at that rate they are backing up. Seems like alot of work for one person. With all that she had a very friendly attitude and was efficient. She said check your mail in six weeks.

That would be Aug 27, 2009.

Utah permits are a 98 day wait now.

That would be Sept 2, 2009.

The race is on!

My Clackamas County Permit arrived! Aug 14th... that equals a 28 day wait after the appointment and an 82 day wait after making the appointment to the time I had it in hand.

I will report when the Utah License arrives.

Dale

The Utah permit wait is Brutal! Applied on May 5th, Check cashed on May 12th.... that means with a 98 day wait, I should be getting it around Sept. 20th or so. Geez.
Im more of an instant gratification sort of guy. :)

I'm planning to start the Utah process later this month, or probably sometime next. Thankfully, I don't have any pressing need for it. (I think I've made one trip into Washington in the past five or six years, and otherwise I've only been into the PRC, where concealed carry isn't legal. Period.)

My Oregon CHL (Washington County) took five weeks on the dot from the day I sent the paperwork in, and about six from the day I took the class. As of today, I'm legal. Now I can buy a holster without fear of a jinx!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top