JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of course there's a need for certain units to have a sidearm. MP's doing garrison law enforcement (which I understand is becoming more and more rare, as they shift focus into being more infantry-like) use a sidearm as their primary weapon, just like civilian cops.

Snipers benefit from having a weapon that holds more than a few rounds, and is a good close defense weapon - and doesn't have the weight of an SBR or sub-caliber machine gun.

Officers need something to carry around and make them feel like real soldiers, and to show how important they think they are :D

The average grunt would probably rather have a few more mags for his rifle, more food, better IFAK, or just less weight to carry around rather than having a pistol he's unlikely to use. Yeah, it's usually quicker to switch to a pistol if you run your rifle dry - but if you're at rifle ranges, you probably want something rifle-like, rather than pistol like, to shoot back with. And I guess it depends on the holster, and which magazine pouches you're using. I think it'd be quicker to rip a mag from a carrier - especially if using a mag-pul or paracord pull than to pop the flap on the Bianchi holster. I know the USAF was fielding Serpa holsters for some unit, and the Army MP's were using Safariland gear last I knew, so maybe that's not a big issue these days.

Scooop skeers though. didn't click. praying for the smouldering children

scared-cat-56125.gif

No surprise they kept the 9. Cheaper ammo, holds more ammo, already in the supply inventory, and keeps NATO happy. Maybe the Trump ARmy will have the balls to start using hollowpoints...

No surprise they kept the 9. Cheaper ammo Not that it is a concern to the Army they do buy in bulk, holds more ammo okay that is true, already in the supply inventory They could put 40 in the inventory, and keeps NATO happy NATO is happy to oblige the US. Maybe the Trump ARmy will have the balls to start using hollowpoints...They have never been obligated to follow the Hague convention, but they do

If they want to use defense type ammo or waterboard prisoners I'm OK with it.
If they would just keep their mouths shut about it.
Wouldn't want to back to the days where you get hit the leg, you lose that leg, though.

Well naturally it is not over Here Glock protests as the article states it was inevitable, and one of the reasons the testing was so involved, the Army has to document everything to protect itself in these claims.

Did Glock submit a new pistol that is modular, though?

I know that with Beretta, they submitted their new APX pistol, which is modular, just like the Sig P320.

Perhaps Beretta will do better with consumers and law enforcement, once the APX becomes available to them. It reminds me a lot of the S&W M&P in looks:

pistol-apx-beretta-introduction-tactical-summit-3.jpg

I expect that first a gun had to roughly conform to the proposed specs, and I don't think Beretta passed that, then there were initial tests...apparently where S&W failed to meet verification, and then more detailed testing. I expect that the 320 pleased the small hands people a lot better. I recall when we got the M9 that it was too big for some.

That APX - I was originally enamored by it - but looked at the slide - I would NOT want to try making a holster for that - it is literally going to shred any holster you could make - kydex, nylon, leather - the big, sharp, wide serrations are going to shred the inside of the holster. Or you have to make a holster that doesn't touch the slide, so dirt mud, and clothing gets let in. ND waiting to happen.

Noope - the APX needs to go back to the drawing board.

Glock needs to be glad they kept the FBI contract - the FBI wrote their solicitation to get the Sig P320. Glock made a Gen 4 without finger grooves, and the FBI bean counters caved. Until they really innovate, they will loose market share. The last batch of guns they have released have either been too little too late, or just big WTF guns.

Sig will fight tooth and nail to keep this win - in the end, troopers will be toting Sig pistols sooner rather than later.

That APX - I was originally enamored by it - but looked at the slide - I would NOT want to try making a holster for that - it is literally going to shred any holster you could make - kydex, nylon, leather - the big, sharp, wide serrations are going to shred the inside of the holster. Or you have to make a holster that doesn't touch the slide, so dirt mud, and clothing gets let in. ND waiting to happen.

Noope - the APX needs to go back to the drawing board.

Glock needs to be glad they kept the FBI contract - the FBI wrote their solicitation to get the Sig P320. Glock made a Gen 4 without finger grooves, and the FBI bean counters caved. Until they really innovate, they will loose market share. The last batch of guns they have released have either been too little too late, or just big WTF guns.

Sig will fight tooth and nail to keep this win - in the end, troopers will be toting Sig pistols sooner rather than later.
I have ...since your post seen a release of the APX and have seen two online retailers selling them. Botach has them in Black for $525 and colored frames for $49 (out of stock) . Just a harebrained thought, but could you line a Kydex holster with a thin piece of formed metal to alleviate that shredding?

Just a harebrained thought, but could you line a Kydex holster with a thin piece of formed metal to alleviate that shredding?
Kydex is slick (unless you order a textured finish)....I wouldn't worry about at all.

Kydex holsters are a precision fit due to the nature of their manufacture.
Trying to line one with sheet metal would be a giant PITA and would very likely screw up the precision fit that you started with.
Even if you could get it to work, welcome to accelerated holster wear on your pistol.

Sheet metal lining of the holster would just wind up removing the finish off the gun. Kydex holsters are either vacuum formed or foam press formed around the molding drone or actual gun. Most kydex holsters do flex upon drawing and reholstering - the halves actually push away from each other a bit - but those ridges are still going to make contact and just tear up the holster, or destroy the finish of the gun.

I cannot imagine making one of these a concealed carry gun, even with a full sweat guard. I get that they intend the APX to be a duty gun - but I wouldn't even want that. Aggressive traditional slide serrations would be preferable from a functional and aesthetic aspect.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top