JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is an in depth article on using fast pistol/shotgun powders for reduced rifle cartridge loads. The main takeaway I got out of it was to use double based flake type powders. It gets pretty deep. He also has some load recommendations.

Load selection is on left side bar:

This is an in depth article on using fast pistol/shotgun powders for reduced rifle cartridge loads. The main takeaway I got out of it was to use double based flake type powders. It gets pretty deep. He also has some load recommendations.

Load selection is on left side bar:

After reading this over a few times, I think Ramshot Competition and Alliant e3 may be too fast to get decent SD numbers in reduced rifle loads. Evidently variations of charge weight makes a bigger impact on SD numbers as relative quickness of powder gets faster. I may have to stick with titegroup and W231 speed powders if groups suck with the faster powders.

"Although we found no internal ballistics imposed upper limit on the RQ of a pistol powder usable in low velocity CAS loads, we encountered a practical upper limit: as the RQ increases the size of the load decreases (to maintain the same maximum pressure); as the size of the load decreases, the percentage error in weighing the load increases. A .1 gr scale/weighing error in the context of a 16 gr Unique load, is a .6% error. The same .1 gr error in a 5 gr 700x or RedDot load is a 2.5% error. If small groups are associated with small extreme spreads in velocities, and weighing errors induce large velocity variances, then one should be avoiding powders/loads inclined toward larger weighing errors."

Last Edited:
Hodgdon has titegroup data for 115gr bullet in 350 Legend cartridge. How would you adjust this data for 147gr bullet?

Screenshot_20220407-111126.png

The 147gr bullet is about 28% heavier than the 115gr bullet they provided data for. If I reduced hodgdons starting charge weight by 28% would that get me in the ballpark of where I need to be?

If anybody has other data for titegroup loads in 350 Legend please share.

Last Edited:
Don't do that. Even with all the years of knowledge and test equipment ammo makers cannot reliably predict how powders will react with enough certainty to do away with testing every lot of powder they use in their loads.

Gun powder is a complex mixture with many variables that affect burn rates and resulting pressures. Most changes (none?) are not linear as in a certain percentage weigh change in projectile results in a certain weight change in powder charge.

If you can't find published data, call the powder manufacture directly. The all have a toll-free customer support number. You can get great info from their technicians and engineers.

Don't do that. Even with all the years of knowledge and test equipment ammo makers cannot reliably predict how powders will react with enough certainty to do away with testing every lot of powder they use in their loads.

Gun powder is a complex mixture with many variables that affect burn rates and resulting pressures. Most changes (none?) are not linear as in a certain percentage weigh change in projectile results in a certain weight change in powder charge.

If you can't find published data, call the powder manufacture directly. The all have a toll-free customer support number. You can get great info from their technicians and engineers.
Thanks if anybody has a subsonic 350 Legend load with 158gr or lighter bullet please post it here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top