JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gads, yet another "What's best for self-defense" thread. These are bad as the "Cello on or Cello off?" threads on the cigar forums I belonged to back in the 90's.

Shot my 329 again the other day with 200 gr .44 special Winchester Silvertips. Surprisingly it wasn't bad at all - first load I shot that it didn't sting my hands, but the 240 gr loads at 1000 fps did - a bit, and the Federal Hydrashok at 1200 fps certainly did.

From my Rossi carbine, no problem, but you could tell the difference in recoil and sound.

Either way, I like the .44 magnum and agree that it is a versatile round. I like it better than the .45 ACP or Colt because the .44 has better sectional density, and there is nothing either .45 can do that the .44 mag can't do better IMO. The .357 mag is nice too, but it can't do as well with the heavy bullets as the .44 does - not going to find any 325 gr .357 mag loads, much less ones that do 1200 fps (and make your hand and arm ache for the rest of the day if you shoot them in a 329 :().

Shot a .44 snub nose once. Couldn't hit the ground if I pointed straight down. Too much recoil for my experience at the time. Big arse gun.

At one point in time I have a CA Bulldog in .44 special and a Ruger Sp101 snubby in .357 mag - both with Hogue rubber grips. The latter won out in the recoil and blast - but only by a little in recoil (a lot with the blast and flame). My current .357 mag revolvers are pussy cats in comparison to my 329 though - one .357 is titanium, but ported and spongy grips, the other a 5" barrel and weighs a bit more.

Shot my 329 again the other day with 200 gr .44 special Winchester Silvertips. Surprisingly it wasn't bad at all - first load I shot that it didn't sting my hands, but the 240 gr loads at 1000 fps did - a bit, and the Federal Hydrashok at 1200 fps certainly did.

From my Rossi carbine, no problem, but you could tell the difference in recoil and sound.

Either way, I like the .44 magnum and agree that it is a versatile round. I like it better than the .45 ACP or Colt because the .44 has better sectional density, and there is nothing either .45 can do that the .44 mag can't do better IMO. The .357 mag is nice too, but it can't do as well with the heavy bullets as the .44 does - not going to find any 325 gr .357 mag loads, much less ones that do 1200 fps (and make your hand and arm ache for the rest of the day if you shoot them in a 329 :().

The 329 is too much for me in terms of weight to horse power ratio, my manhood is comfortable halting at the 629 Mountain gun. I do agree the .44 magnum is the ultimate do all revolver round.

I carried a 3" 624 44 Special with a round butt as a winter gun for several years. The gun shoot really well, great sights, stout round (not magnum level), but kinda big. Easier to conceal a full size 1911. But is is smaller than the 8 3/8" M29!

You think so? For me, I always thought the 1911 concealed well because it is so flat while the 3" N-frames have basically the same overall length and height as the 1911 but with cylinder is quite a bit wider.

The 329 is too much for me in terms of weight to horse power ratio, my manhood is comfortable halting at the 629 Mountain gun. I do agree the .44 magnum is the ultimate do all revolver round.

Yeah, I am going to have magnaport put quad ports on it. I have had a number of ported guns with different kinds of porting and it has always worked for me. I don't mind the increased noise and blast, I am half deaf already and 99% of the time I wear hearing protection - if I can tolerate my 460V with its huge comp, I can tolerate a ported 329.

SW 686+, as it's hard to beat 7 rounds of .357 mag goodness.

627 PC 8 shots of 357 magnum beats it.
they make it in a snub nose model like the one OP pictured too and i want one. 1A4BAD73-2EDC-47D2-A00E-CEB3FE405FB0.jpeg

It's funny when people say "the Best" or "the Ultimate" when they actually mean:

"My personal fave" - for whatever reason.

But I clicked the bait, too...

I had a 69. Neat gun. With 44 Specials my wife shot it better than any other handgun.
Very good point.
People like to tout the .357 and .44 mags as "Defense" guns,, Ok,, defense against what,, a bear or someone breaking into your house?
If you fire off your .357/.44 mags indoors at night you better be on with the first shot, because you might take some time to recover from being deaf and blinded by that first shot.
A decent .44 Special load, or a .45 Colt/ACP, can be much more forgiving for follow-up shots whilst you maintain your senses.
Low pressure cartridges give up nothing in performance in SD situations.
For a bear,, yeah I'll take a hot magnum load.

Also a shout out to Ohio! I am a University of Cincinnati grad class of '77.

From Dayton, graduated from UD Law and undergrad at Ohio U in Athens.

The Remington 44 Magnum is a very versatile cartridge, with loadings from mild to wild. I know this is going piss-off many readers but before moving on to your other favorite firearm blogs take a deep breath and continue reading. Keep in mind I am not saying the 44 Magnum is perfect or best suited for a firefight, the best range cartridge or even the best hunting round. But what I am saying is paired with the right handgun or carbine the 44 Magnum is the most versatile cartridge known to man.

Because of this versatility I believe this is the best or "The Ultimate Self Defense Revolver" On the Ransom Rest for Accuracy

What is your favorite self defense revolver?

Love my Redhawk and my 629 PC V-Comp but fear that some hotter 44mag rounds can over-penetrate to14-20" - too much for SD as that round could pass through one target and keep on going.

And snubbies are not fun to shoot at the range.

GO 10mm!

I just got my "PROCEED" from the local PD under WA-1639 to pick up a Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm/40SW - 4.2" barrel. Loaded with some 10mm DoubleTap SD 180 grain 615 fpe.

GP100 Match Champion 10mm angled BEST.jpg

Just need moon clips and you can train heavily with 40SW and carry 10mm on the street or in the woods. Magnum performance on a Budweiser budget!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top