Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The Ultimate Air Rifle

Discussion in 'Air Rifle & Pistol Discussion' started by rainiergreen, Jun 5, 2013.

1. rainiergreen

rainiergreen Columbia County New Member

This is the air rifle that Lewis and Clark took on their expedition and AMAZED the Indians!

It takes 1500 strokes to pump this rifle to full pressure, after which it could shoot more than 400 .46 cal. round balls, each of which can blast a clean hole through a 1 inch pine board at 100 yards.

This is a VERY interesting gun! How many of you very gun-knowledgeable folks out there even knew that a rifle like this ever existed, especially back then?

This video is with sound and great on full screen.

Click here:

FT forum: This is just tooo kewl not to spread around

LINK IS SAFE!!!!

2. spreck

spreck bellingham Member

Saw this rifle on the history channel very, very cool, I would love to own a reproduction of one of these.

3. 1stIDFMP

1stIDFMP North of Salem, south of Portland Active Member

Interesting. Imagine if Custer had a couple dozen of these!

4. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Corvallis Active Member

40 shots on a charge, not 400... But still impressive for the times.

5. FZRider

FZRider Lacey, Wa Active Member

I want one!

6. OcelotZ3

OcelotZ3 Corvallis Active Member

I find it surprising that no one is selling a reproduction of this. A few have been built, but for personal use... And it appears that repros would be well over $2k, possibly closer to $5k.

I wonder what the market for one of these would really be. I would also like one. Very fascinating, and actually useful.

7. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

reading some of the comments on that video, someone says that a repo costs 26k to make.. I find that a bit hard to believe but ya never know.

8. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Yep, I knew! I've told friends about this ever since I was in the 4th grade and did a report on them. That was damned near a half a century ago.

9. gemihur

gemihur Ridgelines of Virginia, Roanoke Valley Member

WoW!!!I've heard that Napoleon's private guards used only pneumatic arms ...