JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Important for us all to know truth ~ Facts about Rifles and crime

Read more: The Facts About Rifles and Crime
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

The fact is, in many of the worst mass shootings, like Las Vegas, Newtown, Parkland, and elsewhere, the weapon used is an AR-15 or some similar rifle. It is also rare, as the CPRC research shows. According to their data on mass shootings in public places, the weapon most of the shooters use is a handgun, either on its own, or in conjunction with a long gun. Rifles are involved in one way or another with 28 percent of mass shootings. With handguns, it's 87 percent. (The figures add up to more than 100 percent because some of the mass shooters will use more than one weapon

Good post, this needs to be more widely understood. Of ALL firearm deaths, long guns were only used in a little under 5% according to the latest FBI crime statistics.

In 1966, a gunman using a bolt action rifle killed 14 people and injured 31 more from the Whitman Tower. Showing that a man with a simple rifle can be just as deadly as the typical AR15 incident. The problem for AR15 owners is that the optics of mass killings in such a short time frame really looks bad to the lay public. Pretty hard to overcome this type of bad PR. Even so, there seems to be no palate in Congress for an AW ban - at this time.

There is one retort to this that I've heard that I don't know how to counter, which is that for 3077 (2016) killings, the type of weapon is not identified. Expanded Homicide Data Table 4

About the only thing I can think of would be to assume that that the unidentified category is made up of the same proportion as the identified categories, but I don't know how valid that is.

Anyway, it's a good stat on the Pro2A side generally, but we need a good response to the inevitable retort about unidentified firearms.

In 1966, a gunman using a bolt action rifle killed 14 people and injured 31 more from the Whitman Tower. Showing that a man with a simple rifle can be just as deadly as the typical AR15 incident. The problem for AR15 owners is that the optics of mass killings in such a short time frame really looks bad to the lay public. Pretty hard to overcome this type of bad PR. Even so, there seems to be no palate in Congress for an AW ban - at this time.

And the day that sort of shooting happens again, we can all kiss our hunting scopes goodbye.

And the day that sort of shooting happens again, we can all kiss our hunting scopes goodbye.
We did recover after the local
Murderer I5 shooter with his bushmaster made the National news 24/7 ... it's sort of humbling to shoot at Bullseye range in Tacoma and know that gun owners and patriots kept it open against all the bad press

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top