JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For me the key to hunting turned off during my last hunt when I lived up in Wyoming. I had friends who owned large ranches and welcomed us to hunt their property. The owners also had out of state hunters hunting on their land - for a hefty fee, of course. I used to love heading into the hills passing by a group of [ahem] Eastern hunters who had not yet filled their tags. Told the two of us about not seeing any game and the hunting prospects were not good- even to locals. I REALLY loved coming out of the hills a couple of hours later when both my buddy and I had nice bucks in the truck. Always enjoyed the out-of-stater's looks of incredulity that we both limited out and they had bupkus. :s0114: Where I was in Wyoming back in the day the deer and antelope season overlapped by a couple of days. Imagine the looks we got from out of staters when we came out of the mountains with 2 buck deer and 2 antelopes in the back of the old rattle trap pickup we used for hunting! Priceless! It was on the last one of those trips when I had an epiphany. I didn't particularly like the killing of the game ... what I really loved was the stalk/ambush! [old military training] Heck, I figured I could still go "hunting", enjoy myself immensely and not have a carcass to process afterwards. Bingo! For years after that I would go up into the High Country just to put the sneak on an animal. Really liked the looks of surprise on the deer to discover me standing there close to them. Laughed my backside off. I could afford the meat and luckily still can. Made a promise to myself that as long as I could afford to buy meat I would not take another game animal. Why not leave them for other's enjoyment? Anyhoo that's my story. Sorry I don't have a good Dad/Son hunting story to share. But that's another really long story ... :eek:

I'm embarrassed to admit that one of the reasons I quit duck hunting was because I loved watching their beauty, colors, and style as they flared for a landing into my decoys. I just enjoyed watching them more than shooting them. That and they taste like schit... :oops::oops:

For My dad hunting was a way of life, he despised hunting for sport as he called it, which is why he was never into it . In my mind he grew up into an amazing life which i would love to be able to replicate. If I can ever buy the old homestead I will in a heartbeat.

Ah, my hunting was never about putting meat on the table, since I had enough $$ to do that. What I did enjoy was the challenge, the experience, the outdoors, the chase, the satisfaction of being able to get my own meat, a shot well made for a clean kill... you know, the sport! But not the kill. I never enjoyed that aspect, nor did I hunt for the trophy of the horns. That's just me.

I don't think you have to quit, just change method. My dearly departed uncle Bill, would head out on the first day of season in his car drive out a dirt road to the edge of a legal hunting area, pop open his trunk get out a folding chair and his rifle enjoy a cold beverage in the shade. Within an hour or two he would have his choice of game to shoot, usually within a hundred feet. All those fancy hunters would do the work for him.

Yeah, but you still have to lug that thing back to the car/truck and hoist it in and then back out to hang. I just never saw myself phoning for help to do that. Tho the last elk I shot I used the radio and my buddies came to help me quarter and pack it out. I pulled/damaged both Achilles getting my portion up out of W Birch Creek and then still had to carry that pack 2 miles to the truck. I preferred the time I shot one from a spot sitting just above the road and then we gutted it and slid it down the hill and into the back of the truck. :):):)

My dad is a diabetic he has problems with vertical I hope I pronounce that right. We had a lot of fun times just sucks to get closer to the end.

Diabetes can be a real beotch. Esp if I have my shot and forget to eat. Low blood sugar can be life threatening. I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet but it doesn't keep me from walking... it is the arthritis that did that. And in my back it hinders my lifting tasks. I also have intermittent vertigo... yep that's a nogo for walking in the woods. Too dangerous for uneven footing and a bad attack leaves one vomiting from the spinning. I hope you still take your dad for walks/rides in the woods when he can make it out.

Do you sit on it and have the Mrs drive you around?:D

;):D AB444F6F-61E6-4FC4-B99B-5E485B448D70.gif

My dad passed in '94, but I think the last time I hunted with him was 1980.
Not a day goes by that I don't wish we could've just kept going out.
My dad died in September. We hadn't gone hunting since the 90s but we went and did other things; recently my brothers and I had gotten together and gifted him a membership at the local range so we went and did that up until a few days before his death.

I want him back, but at least we have some good memories.

I guess my story is a little different from most of yours. I have touched on this a little bit on this forum but I try not to too much.
My dad never hunted with me. Hunted a few times as a teenager with my older brother, never had much success as he always shot 'em before I could find he deer.
Had my first son at 22 years old and got serious about hunting again around 25. From the days he could barely keep up with me, he was out there with me. We spent a lot of time picking chanterelles, chasing grouse, taught him how to start fires in the rain. Never did kill many animals. It was like Christmas for him the day I brought home my first forkey.
He got a little older and started carrying his own rifle during the mentored hunt. Again, we loved being out there, just never got a any kills except for me filling a couple of cow tags. But he looked up to me so I couldn't let him know that he was basically hunting with Elmer Fudd.
15 years old and he starts complaining about his hip bothering him. Chalked it up to growing pains at firsr, but the x rays showed that his hip socket slipped at the growth plate and he needed surgery. That slowed him down but he still continued to go out there. We just needed to slow it down a bit.
Fast forward a year and he draws both his youth doe tag and his youth cow tag. Both start after he is scheduled for yet another hip surgery. That goes well and a few weeks later he takes a doe while resting his rifle on his crutches. A few months after that, we take a very slow hike up a hill, find a cow and he puts her down. With a lot of help, we get it home and hung.
Next season was a bust. He was pretty much stuck in bed from the pain he was in. His hip was still giving him hell. He needed a full hip replacement. He was able to walk about a half mile with his cane and we spent a bit of time road hunting. Even that was too much for him to tolerate. His hip was too deformed his total hip replacement was finally scheduled for last February. At 17, nothing excited him or me more than the thought of being back in the woods together again, shooting, hunting and it being just him and I out there.
He had his surgery, brought him home and put him to bed. He had been through a lot and now he had his whole healed future ahead of him or so we had hoped. The next morning I went to wake him up and check on him. I found him passed away in his bed. The surgery had been more than his body could handle and he had a heart attack in his sleep.
The woods where we went together. The next day some family members accompanied me to our hunting spot. That was one of the few places I felt close to him. As of today, it has been 11 months and 6 days since he passed. In that time, I have spent more time in the woods at our spots than I did in the past few years combined. Broke down a lot, sat on more than few stumps and soaked the ground below with tears. Bagged one helluva nice buck in one of the spots that started our outdoors adventures together and a few days ago I got yet another cow elk, using my boys rifle. I understand some guys stopping hunting after the good times are over. For me, the good times with my boy are over but the hunting will never stop. Out in the woods are the one place I still feel close to him. I can never let that feeling go.

Last Edited:
I hunted with Dad as a kid, but studies got harder in high school and Dad was working a lot, so his trips were few. So I went to college and started a family. A few years ago I decided to start hunting again. We have been to one hunt together for the last 2 season. This year got scrapped like everything else due to Covid. That is because we hunt public land about 5 hours from home on a 3 day weekend, so that means a hotel is in order. That 3 day weekend allows us to hunt, hang out at dinner, and swap some stories. Not sure how many more years he will be able to do it, but we will try.

I took a buck on the last hunt. Small, but was my first actually. Growing up deer were scarce. I have seen more in those 2 seasons than I have ever saw in the woods. I think as a kid I hunted a bunch of season and NEVER saw a deer. No does, no bucks, just lots of squirrels and chipmunks.

It's just me and my dad . I am 55 and my dad is 80 we had lots of good times
[/QUOTE
My dad is a diabetic he has problems with vertical I hope I pronounce that right. We had a lot of fun times just sucks to get closer to the end.

Vertigo, as in dizziness? I feel for your father on this aspect alone.
I too am affected with this dreaded affliction, it definitely impedes a lot of every day things including getting out in the woods...

I never hunted with my father as I was the youngest of 4 children and was taught, to some degree, small game hunting by my oldest brother in the South.
After I grew up, I had been mesmerized by the "Head West young man" notion in the 70's and settled in Washington in 87. I loved the mountains, streams and the headwaters of them thar hills. I taught myself how to take deer every season (except the first) for 20+ years and passed that love of being afield on to my son and daughter.
Although my days of big game hunting ended after an OTJ back injury in 04, I still accompany them on day hunts as their driver/guide but stay close to the truck.

I guess my story is a little different from most of yours. I have touched on this a little bit on this forum but I try not to too much.
My dad never hunted with me. Hunted a few times as a teenager with my older brother, never had much success as he always shot 'em before I could find he deer.
Had my first son at 22 years old and got serious about hunting again around 25. From the days he could barely keep up with me, he was out there with me. We spent a lot of time picking chanterelles, chasing grouse, taught him how to start fires in the rain. Never did kill many animals. It was like Christmas for him the day I brought home my first forkey.
He got a little older and started carrying his own rifle during the mentored hunt. Again, we loved being out there, just never got a any kills except for me filling a couple of cow tags. But he looked up to me so I couldn't let him know that he was basically hunting with Elmer Fudd.
15 years old and he starts complaining about his hip bothering him. Chalked it up to growing pains at firsr, but the x rays showed that his hip socket slipped at the growth plate and he needed surgery. That slowed him down but he still continued to go out there. We just needed to slow it down a bit.
Fast forward a year and he draws both his youth doe tag and his youth cow tag. Both start after he is scheduled for yet another hip surgery. That goes well and a few weeks later he takes a doe while resting his rifle on his crutches. A few months after that, we take a very slow hike up a hill, find a cow and he puts her down. With a lot of help, we get it home and hung.
Next season was a bust. He was pretty much stuck in bed from the pain he was in. His hip was still giving him hell. He needed a full hip replacement. He was able to walk about a half mile with his cane and we spent a bit of time road hunting. Even that was too much for him to tolerate. His hip was too deformed his total hip replacement was finally scheduled for last February. At 17, nothing excited him or me more than the thought of being back in the woods together again, shooting, hunting and it being just him and I out there.
He had his surgery, brought him home and put him to bed. He had been through a lot and now he had his whole healed future ahead of him or so we had hoped. The next morning I went to wake him up and check on him. I found him passed away in his bed. The surgery had been more than his body could handle and he had a heart attack in his sleep.
The woods where we went together. The next day some family members accompanied me to our hunting spot. That was one of the few places I felt close to him. As of today, it has been 11 months and 6 days since he passed. In that time, I have spent more time in the woods at our spots than I did in the past few years combined. Broke down a lot, sat on more than few stumps and soaked the ground below with tears. Bagged one helluva nice buck in one of the spots that started our outdoors adventures together and a few days ago I got yet another cow elk, using my boys rifle. I understand some guys stopping hunting after the good times are over. For me, the good times with my boy are over but the hunting will never stop. Out in the woods are the one place I still feel close to him. I can never let that feeling go.

As a fresh dad this is terrifying. But you got to spend more time with him in that amount of years then most fathers do there entire lives. Good job. I will try my best to copy what you did with your kid.

In the "olden daze" I hunted back in the 60's and it was quite a different world back then. It seemed deer were much more plentiful and Elk too. It was meat hunting only. We were serious hunters because we were very poor. Not that we didn't enjoy it but that was secondary to the purpose of it. "poaching" was illegal but excused at times when hungry enough. During the 30's my grandpa poached many deer according to the stories I was told by my dad. It was almost respectable to feed your family when you needed it. I heard stories of my grandma clubbing salmon in the river with a 2x4 after my dad would chase them over to her in knee high river water. You did what you had to do during the depression. Today is much different and I wouldn't dream of poaching with all the food available today. Hunting has taken a back seat lately due to the virus and cost of licensing and the complicated rules of today. The last hunting pamphlet I saw has 117 pages to describe big game hunting. That's a little too much for me. I'm looking for something simpler and less expensive.

In the "olden daze" I hunted back in the 60's and it was quite a different world back then. It seemed deer were much more plentiful and Elk too. It was meat hunting only. We were serious hunters because we were very poor. Not that we didn't enjoy it but that was secondary to the purpose of it. "poaching" was illegal but excused at times when hungry enough. During the 30's my grandpa poached many deer according to the stories I was told by my dad. It was almost respectable to feed your family when you needed it. I heard stories of my grandma clubbing salmon in the river with a 2x4 after my dad would chase them over to her in knee high river water. You did what you had to do during the depression. Today is much different and I wouldn't dream of poaching with all the food available today. Hunting has taken a back seat lately due to the virus and cost of licensing and the complicated rules of today. The last hunting pamphlet I saw has 117 pages to describe big game hunting. That's a little too much for me. I'm looking for something simpler and less expensive.
I remember hunting back in the 70's and you're right, it was a different world back then.
Your mention of your grandpa poaching deer in the 30's (likely to keep the family fed), reminded me of a thread where a guy asked what your favourite deer hunting rig was.
One kid posted that he didn't hunt, so he asked his grandpa, who also poached deer back in the 30's, and that guy's answer was ".22 rimfire. They're real quiet.".
I got a little chuckle out of that one. =)

Dean

The last hunting pamphlet I saw has 117 pages to describe big game hunting. That's a little too much for me. I'm looking for something simpler and less expensive.

I'm down to TV and eating. :(

Hoping to get back out in the forest now that I've had foot surgery. Maybe just find a nice river trail and enjoy the scenery. Fishing licenses are too expensive for me. For the amount I go fishing, a day license would be much cheaper. And I'll probably get a fine for not wearing a mask on Fed land. :mad::mad::mad:

One kid posted that he didn't hunt, so he asked his grandpa, who also poached deer back in the 30's, and that guy's answer was ".22 rimfire. They're real quiet.".
I got a little chuckle out of that one. =)

"What's the best deer rifle?"

More deer have been killed with .22lr than any other rifle!

I've told the story here before about going out in the woods with my drunkard neighbor (former neighbor) and him saying to bring our .22s... driving along, he says "stop stop stop... back up", puts his rifle out the window and "bang". What did you shoot, I ask. A deer he says. WTF????? Then he gets me to help him load it in the back of my station wagon. Ah crap.... I was so worried about being caught... bad decisions all the way round!!!

BTW, I remember when deer season was 30days long. I just don't remember bucks being plentiful. :oops:

I have changed what I hunt over the years. Today its mostly Varmints. Ground Squirrels and Coyotes. I don't need to climb mountains, The shooting is from a bench, table or shooting stix. And carrying the dead is not a lot of work! But I also start a few new hunters too! But mostly it keeps me out there!
What I miss most is not the Deer hunting But the deer camp! A week of guns gear, and family! DR

I miss stalking down the deer and shooting it, but what I DON'T miss is hauling that carcass back to the truck.
UGH :oops:
...dead upland packs out a lot easier. ;)

Dean

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top