JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ever find stuff you forgot you had, looking for something else? It makes me feel especially weird to find something I simply can't remember acquiring in the first place.

I've been going through some changes in perspective in recent years, and have decided to try to simplify my life somewhat. When I was younger I wanted to accumulate lots of what I liked, and was really into surplus stuff when it was cheap 20+ years ago. I've actually gotten rid of piles of surplus ammo in the last few years (good timing), but still have a lot of junk left. I've realized that if it's sat unused for a decade, what's the point in having it. My plan is to also get rid of a bunch of guns, but that seems to be so much harder. I've heard it said that sometimes your possessions can own you, rather than the other way around. Like Thoreau said, Simplify, Simplify, Simplify...

So, I was digging through boxes of junk. Really, some of it actual junk: old damaged or oddball slings and holster and whatnot, stuff that's still "good" but nobody would ever want or buy. Out it goes. I run across a bunch of surplus magazine pouches. OK, I remember the pile of G3 pouches full of H&K mags. I bought them because they were almost free. I don't have a G3/HK91 and most likely never will. I remember the L1A1 mags; good to know where they are, though in reality I never use more than the one because I rarely ever shoot that rifle. I barely remember the pouch full of AK74 EG bakelite mags, full of ammo. I had another that I'd found recently, and thought I had two. Those mags have been loaded that way for about 20 years.

What I don't remember at all is the four old GI mag pouches, each containing three USGI 30 round AR mags full of Malaysian surplus rounds. I remember having some of that ammo back in the '90s; it was great ammo. I don't remember having a bunch of mags full of it. I never was really into ARs, but I was more into them back then than I am now. I still have a couple but almost never shoot them. Funny how things change when you get older. I guess I'll give them to my son for fun range ammo. :)

I wonder what else I'm going to find as I continue to dig out.

One of my favorite quotes comes to mind here.

"There is nothing like looking , if you want to find something. You certainly find something , if you look , but it is not always quite the something you were after."
J.R.R. Tolkien

Andy

Had an ammo can full of 10mm hollow points I found some 5-6 years after getting out of 10mm. There is all sorts of stuff lying around to be found, some day.

Funny story! I was considering selling my 500S&W Mag but found close to 1500 new or once fired cases, plus already have the bullets, powder, and primers to load them. Forgot I had all that stuff. Probably just keep it as selling components normally takes a big hit on value. Hope my wrist holds up, lol.

I quietly mumble about my wife's yearly garage sale as it requires me to reorganize my half of the garage [i.e., the shop] to accommodate the tables and other stuff stored inside and then hauled outdoors on sale day. All the same, each year when the sale is over I will put everything back in place and in the process discover something I forgot I had. And the more organized I make it, the less 'stuff' I'm willing to keep.

Maybe getting older has something to do with it as well. After settling the estates of my parents and in-laws, we swore we wouldn't leave a huge mess for our kids like our parents did for us. They were the Great Depression era, and simply couldn't throw out anything.

I hear that, I went through a huge toss out phase a few weeks back, since Im now retired and trying to move out of WA state, I tossed all my books ( not reloading manuals) 3 old laptops ( stilled worked all running linux) 6 cameras ( is film even a thing anymore) sold all my milsurp ammo and I mean all of it, have sold off all but 6 rifles and I think I will try and get rid of them as well even if i have to take a loss, 10 garbage bags of old Afghanistan work cloths to Goodwill, you are right, the stuff ends up owning you..carry on cleaning. Its liberating.

861252_554989511249775_1960188897_o.jpg

Have had it happen a few times. I literally was digging around in my safe and found a Sig box pushed up against the back behind some other things I haven't looked at in years. So I pull it out and here's a P226 in .40. WTF? I don't own any guns in .40. Then I slowly remember years ago I got it thinking I would convert it to .357 Sig. Ah well... Ended up trading it for another gun. Then years later I find a box of 600 rounds of .40 I had stored away. Why? Who knows! Must have been a good deal or a trade.

Ever find stuff you forgot you had, looking for something else? It makes me feel especially weird to find something I simply can't remember acquiring in the first place.

I've been going through some changes in perspective in recent years, and have decided to try to simplify my life somewhat. When I was younger I wanted to accumulate lots of what I liked, and was really into surplus stuff when it was cheap 20+ years ago. I've actually gotten rid of piles of surplus ammo in the last few years (good timing), but still have a lot of junk left. I've realized that if it's sat unused for a decade, what's the point in having it. My plan is to also get rid of a bunch of guns, but that seems to be so much harder. I've heard it said that sometimes your possessions can own you, rather than the other way around. Like Thoreau said, Simplify, Simplify, Simplify...

So, I was digging through boxes of junk. Really, some of it actual junk: old damaged or oddball slings and holster and whatnot, stuff that's still "good" but nobody would ever want or buy. Out it goes. I run across a bunch of surplus magazine pouches. OK, I remember the pile of G3 pouches full of H&K mags. I bought them because they were almost free. I don't have a G3/HK91 and most likely never will. I remember the L1A1 mags; good to know where they are, though in reality I never use more than the one because I rarely ever shoot that rifle. I barely remember the pouch full of AK74 EG bakelite mags, full of ammo. I had another that I'd found recently, and thought I had two. Those mags have been loaded that way for about 20 years.

What I don't remember at all is the four old GI mag pouches, each containing three USGI 30 round AR mags full of Malaysian surplus rounds. I remember having some of that ammo back in the '90s; it was great ammo. I don't remember having a bunch of mags full of it. I never was really into ARs, but I was more into them back then than I am now. I still have a couple but almost never shoot them. Funny how things change when you get older. I guess I'll give them to my son for fun range ammo. :)

I wonder what else I'm going to find as I continue to dig out.
In my 20's for a few hours I forgot I had a girlfriend. It didn't go nearly as well as your story. :rolleyes:

Last week I decided to make some 110gr speer soft nose hollow point ammo for my 30 carbine revolver. I've been making FMJ's for the rifles for a couple of years so thought I'd make ammo for me for a change. When I opened the ammo can it was half full of the Speer bulleted ammo I'd just made. So now I've got lots. I guess I should shoot that gun more often.

Last week I decided to make some 110gr speer soft nose hollow point ammo for my 30 carbine revolver. I've been making FMJ's for the rifles for a couple of years so thought I'd make ammo for me for a change. When I opened the ammo can it was half full of the Speer bulleted ammo I'd just made. So now I've got lots. I guess I should shoot that gun more often.

I always wanted that particular Blackhawk. But the barrel length kept it low on my want list.

I always wanted that particular Blackhawk. But the barrel length kept it low on my want list.
Yep Ruger only makes them with a 7 1/2" barrel and you need it for the muzzle blast. They are rude to say the least. On a side note it's the only Blackhawk barrel that is tapered from the factory. I was going to go sage rat hunting with mine and then bought the CZ bolt gun in 223 so that's why it and it's ammo has been on the back shelf so to speak.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top