JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just recieved a couple of T53's from Southern Ohio guns, needless to say the stocks were functional but really ugly. So I poked around looking for an M44 stock to replace them, too pricey average was about 50 bucks with no hardware or handguard. Looked around some more and put up wanted ads, no use. Finally decided to cut down a 91/30 stock (after all, how hard could it be?). It's harder than you might think, and you can't cut down the 91/30 handguards to work either. A nice fellow from another thread contacted me with 3 91/30 stocks for 50 bucks, great condition and I found some reproduction m44 handguards for $5 bucks each!!, So while I get my photos together here's what I did:

*cut the fore end to length, relieved the wood enough so the metal tip would fit.
*tried to put the barreled action in and discovered it needed to be inleted for the rear sight base, did that. Relieved some of the barrel channel too.
* now the rear of the stock won't let the reciever in, relieved it a bit, done.
*the barreled action fits!! Now the bands won't slide over the forend! Dammit! Now I have to thin down the forend! Shaved down the forend, now the bands fit nice and snug.
*Now I have to inlet the stock for the sling eschusions, very carefully, with the barrel channel on top and the groove for the cleaning rod on the bottom, it's got to be just right. Done.
*now for the front barrel band retainer. not as neat as I would like but done.

I'll get some photos up in a few days.

The ultimate goal is to restock the T53 and not affect it's C&R status by removing it from "original configuration". I couldn't do it any cheaper, I figure I'm into it (so far) a little under 25 bucks. It's going well enough financially I'll probably buy some nice red shellac to finish it up.

Last Edited:
I'll be interested to see your results. I have two Type 53's on the way, one from Century with an unknown-condition stock and one off Gunbroker with an obviously beat up stock.

And here I thought Mosins and their derivatives were supposed to be ugly guns. The type where if a splinter from the stock was smaller than a pencil you were good to go and expected to be macho about it if it stuck you. ;)

I'll be interested to see your results. I have two Type 53's on the way, one from Century with an unknown-condition stock and one off Gunbroker with an obviously beat up stock.

from what I've seen, don't expect a lot from the stock, but, the condition of the metal is usually pretty good. Mine were excellent. I have had more than a few mosins, almost all have dark bore grooves, these T53's were amazingly bright and shiny. I have gone through all cleaning methods, from solvents, soap and water, electrical. All the T53's really required was a good scrub with soap and water, drying, and a good spraydown with wd40.

I forgot where I got my T53, but it had a pretty shiny bore and is fairly accurate to shoot. I can hit the 200 yard gong at ARPC main range just about every time. I chose to only give my stock a cursory once over, though. There's just something about the way it starts to sweat a little cosmoline when it gets hot after a several rounds that I like. I just make sure I have something handy to clean my hands with afterwards. A friend turned me on to Grime Boss wipes. They can be found in the painting section at Home Depot.

Just got my T53 from a guy the Midwest, a cursory glance before I leave for work shows the metal parts to be in reasonable shape and the wood to be rough but usable. I'd like to get a correct cleaning rod for it, does it take a standard M44 rod?

It takes a cleaning rod that is dimensionally the same as an M44, but rather than a grooved round head, it has a smooth round head. But, those are hard to find... I've got a bringback T53 but I don't have a photo of the rod:

-Thirtycal

right_side.jpg type_53_sn.jpg

Just got my T53 from a guy the Midwest, a cursory glance before I leave for work shows the metal parts to be in reasonable shape and the wood to be rough but usable. I'd like to get a correct cleaning rod for it, does it take a standard M44 rod?

same problem here, seems the chinese didn't keep track of cleaning rods. considering making my own or cutting down a 91/30 rod, they varied quite a bit in head design and I'm not really concerned with keeping that part "correct"

BTW it's 32tpi with a 0.156 diameter

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top