JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I've worn a full beard since 2004, but am planning on changing to something much trimmer like a Van Dyke. In preparation for that, I picked up a new straight razor.

razor.jpg

Anyone else use such and what do your razor(s) look like? (If not for shaving, they can be an improvised weapon. :s0112:)

I don't have any pictures of my exact razor, though I can tell you it's just a standard DOVO with a black plastic handle. I probably whip it out twice a year for a change of pace.

I have one and shave with it from time to time...
Not too sure of who made it or when...Its old...and marked "Made in Prussia"

Get a good lather with your shave soap and keep you blade , sharp and nick free....and you will do well.
Andy

I have a couple more than a few - and use them regularly. Vintage, modern, custom, half/quarter/full hollow mostly in the 6\8 to 8\8 sizes.
Once you're setup it's a nice way to go - getting to that point is like anything else...

I quit using strait razors long ago, sucks having skin like boiled leather, so when I shave, it's with a safety razor!
Get the shave soap good and foamy and really work that Badger Brush over your face, might even cocktail in some shave oil or other smell good, and go for it!

A good aftershave is a must have as well, and if your keepin some whiskers, a good beard oil or dressing is really nice to have!

I like these guys for my Beard supplies!

Straight razors, let's see, easily cut...yourself, very slow at getting the job done, have to keep sharpened to a razors...edge, hey, what's not to like?

Oh, and if you drop it, don't try to catch it...

I have my great grandfather's straight razor and brush put away as a family heirloom, but have never tried using it.

To be honest, ability to grow facial hair is at best weak; shaving is usually a twice a week occasion and even if I was to let it grow, I'd look far more pathetic than distinguished.

I'll stick to disposable razors out of practicality.

I've always envied those that didn't have to shave much. My beard is "werewolf grade" (thank you genetics). When courting my beloved, it was the morning shaving, before going to office, then cutting away at said at just past 5:00 PM, before going out. Finally gave up, but back at it. :eek:

I hate shaving. And I don't understand people that like it. Because you have to love it to put up with the nonsense of a "safety" razor. Lather, shave up, lather again, shave down, lather again, shave across. Are you kidding me? Who has time for that?

I've thought about trying a straight razor but assume it's simlar to the safety razor experience. I too am also clumsy and would probably kill myself.

So I stick with my twin blade Atra. Best cartridge ever made. YMMV.

Sadly that Zertone didn't work out. Kind of a clunker for a straight razor and despite normal precautions, it rusted. So, I went back to the Mach 3 compatible razor. I still have the one with the black handle, but haven't used it recently. Oh well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top