JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't have a Hensoldt scope yet, but it's on my short list. I do have a Stanag mount and both scopes for the FAL's for that authentic FAL experience. Works quite well on my ( Not a Kit) Austrian STG-58! I also found a really complete BM-59 scope mount and Scope set up, but need the scope rebuilt. Disposable income, took me close to 27 years to get one, and i'm not about to let it go to waste sitting in some bank collecting dust and interest! LOL:D

Don't have a Hensoldt scope yet, but it's on my short list. I do have a Stanag mount and both scopes for the FAL's for that authentic FAL experience. Works quite well on my ( Not a Kit) Austrian STG-58! I also found a really complete BM-59 scope mount and Scope set up, but need the scope rebuilt. Disposable income, took me close to 27 years to get one, and i'm not about to let it go to waste sitting in some bank collecting dust and interest! LOL:D
I envy your collection. Don't be shy about sharing pics...
I'm with you..Those guns are great investments, and a hell of a lot more fun than a quarterly bank statement.

I Just remembered starting this... got a kick out of going back and reading through.
A Necrothread worthy of resurrection...

It's been just over 3 years since my first build.. 2 since I started this thread, and oh how far I have fallen into the rabbit hole since then... my simple Anderson Poverty Pony build is long gone... It along with my second ever build split into parts, and scattered among several others... My third build was Scarlett. she is family now... and has evolved into one badazz beotch!
Many dozens upon dozens of builds, between my own and the ones I've helped others with.... Untold parts and accessories have come and gone, and I've made several dear friends through buying, selling, and trading parts to feed my addiction.
The AR15 platform and all its baggage has completely consumed my life....but in a good way for the most part.

Post #29 really got me though:(
That picture of his ARs only shows a fraction of what he actually had in his arsenal...
In one of my last conversations with him, I was making light of our shared "disease" when he got very serious and made it clear that AR addiction wasn't a joke, we laughed it off but I really wonder how it factored into his end. Was it a cause, was it a symptom, or was it a positive coping tool for his depression?
Maybe a little of all the above?
RIP Brother!:s0047:

On the bright side... being that I have learned so much, and made so many great connections with other like minded folks through my dealings...
instead of costing me money, I've been able to use my knowledge to B/S/T at gun shows, online exchanges etc. to help keep my lights on, keep my small collection updated with the latest and greatest parts, and to help other good folks find the obscure parts they need for their builds. Even occasionally I'm able to pass along some of the knowledge that guys like IronMonster so graciously gave to me.
It's kept me occupied, and somewhat social. Definitely a positive spin on a serious addiction. I can think of way worse ways to invest time, money and efforts.:s0094:

Last Edited:
I Just remembered starting this... got a kick out of going back and reading through.
A Necrothread worthy of resurrection...

It's been just over 3 years since my first build.. 2 since I started this thread, and oh how far I have fallen into the rabbit hole since then... my simple Anderson Poverty Pony build is long gone... It along with my second ever build split into parts, and scattered among several others... My third build was Scarlett. she is family now... and has evolved into one badazz beotch!
Many dozens upon dozens of builds, between my own and the ones I've helped others with.... Untold parts and accessories have come and gone, and I've made several dear friends through buying, selling, and trading parts to feed my addiction.
The AR15 platform and all its baggage has completely consumed my life....but in a good way for the most part.

Post #29 really got me though:(
That picture of his ARs only shows a fraction of what he actually had in his arsenal...
In one of my last conversations with him, I was making light of our shared "disease" when he got very serious and made it clear that AR addiction wasn't a joke, we laughed it off but I really wonder how it factored into his end. Was it a cause, was it a symptom, or was it a positive coping tool for his depression?
Maybe a little of all the above?
RIP Brother!:s0047:

On the bright side... being that I have learned so much, and made so many great connections with other like minded folks through my dealings...
instead of costing me money, I've been able to use my knowledge to B/S/T at gun shows, online exchanges etc. to help keep my lights on, keep my small collection updated with the latest and greatest parts, and to help other good folks find the obscure parts they need for their builds. Even occasionally I'm able to pass along some of the knowledge that guys like IronMonster so graciously gave to me.
It's kept me occupied, and somewhat social. Definitely a positive spin on a serious addiction. I can think of way worse ways to invest time, money and efforts.:s0094:
I remember it my first build is in there .
My 300 black out was my first build.
The FDE .ONE.

Perfection is = having an old lady (wife/GF) who enjoys shooting and owning the guns you build. With me there is no hiding the new purchases ie. Sneeking the boxes in the house, leaving work to get the mail before she does, etc. . She knows the PSA boxes, Buds, etc etc. She also knows that Guns translate to money if ever needed. I've demonstrated that to her on occasion. Unlike the Designer purses that she buys for 100's and 2.1 years later you find in the closet on the floor. Worth basically nothing at that time. Good luck finding one of those, when you do hold on to her. I even got her to buy me a Canik Tp9SFX with Viper red dot on a whim (as early Xmas present) when visiting a gun store just before christmas as a present while visiting Leavenworth..... I already had the same gun at home purchased 1 month earlier.. That was a good day.

ARs are gateway guns.........eventually they just don't give you that "feeling" anymore and you start to develop more exotic and expensive tastes.

20190223_173757.jpg

I took a couple classes on how to build 'em; I've been around 'em forever;
I've shot ARs of friends now & then in various calibers, most recently the .50 Beowolf; I actually had an AR for a couple years. I had a complete lower & just couldn't figure out what to put on it.

I know they're supposed to stimulate various portions of my "can'tlivewithoutit" glands.....

I sold it. They just ain't for me.:cool:

I still don't LIKE them, but the To-Build list keeps growing... right now after I finish the US/CA "service clones" I wanna build a Mk 18 version of an AR10 in .30-06 so I can load up AP Ball M1 and watch the Lefties stroke out from apoplexy about a pistol that packs armor-piercing ammo and is fully legal... *evil laugh*

Problem is, once you add the LAW sidefolder and an A5 buffer system a 10.3" Mk 18 is right at the very edge of the 26" Rule (25.925" from crown to tube end)... a 10.5" would cross it.

You guys are weird. :p :s0140: Or maybe something is wrong with me? I bought mine built from Curt's. I dig it. Wifey won the NWFA stripped lower on the raffle and Ijust ordered a complete upper and added the stock/tube, trigger, scope/mount. She digs it. I think I might be weird in that I like the smell of my 100+ YO Swede Mauser, and the 1918 Enfield? :s0092: Whatever floats you barrel huh?

Good thread Mygrainman. It was 2 years ago, when i got my first AR. I've come a ways since then. Ill try to list my ar's in the order i bought them and explain why i bought them and why i let the ones go that i got rid of. Here goes:

1. Bought my first ar from a member here. It was a Rogue Defense with an 18" barrel, rifle length gas system and magpul ACS stock. It is actually an excellent rifle. I used it to compare to my next purchases and Noveske build. At times i was very impressed with the Rogue Defense and it made me glad i purchased a complete AR, instead of building one first. I eventually spruced up the RD with a better trigger (CMC single stage) and gave it to my dad, just so i would keep it around:

2. Next on the list was a left handed Stag 6HL with a heavy 24" barrel. The sole reason to buy this was so i could place in the top 10 of an online black rifle challenge. After only a short time, i developed a good load for it and was shooting consistent sub moa groups with this rifle. I eventually let this rifle go to another left handed shooter. My reason was because i got tired of chasing brass on both sides of the bench. The left handed receiver really wasnt necessary.

3. On to my first build!!! I ended up buying a complete upper, but decided i'd build my lower. The upper was Noveske and it had a 20" stainless varmint barrel and 15" NSR. I upgraded the charging handle to a Noveske branded raptor. The Lower got all Noveske parts, except for the armaspec ambi controls and BADD lever. The lower got a magpul PRS stock and heavy buffer and spring and Geissele ssa-e trigger. Its a pretty sweet set-up:
rTzWjRU.jpg
(The one in the middle)

4. Well, the next one came along because I saw it at the LGS and it was stuck in my mind for a week. I told myself if it was still there, I was going to buy it. It was a mut rifle. Had all kinds of parts on it, but was equipped just the way I like them. That meant I didn't have to buy a lot of parts for it. And I just knew it was going to be accurate. I was right, it's turned out to be one of my favorites. It has a Northtech Defense upper, windham weaponry 20" stainless flutted varmint exterminator barrel, RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger, k2+ grip, magpul PRS stock, BADD lever, radian raptor charging handle, spikes tactical lower, spikes st2 buffer and nickel boron BCG (RTBA):
lvSgK1N.jpg
5. The next one I bought was an AR10 chambered in 308w. I was leery about building my own, so I bought a complete Armalite with a 20" stainless barrel. Designated the AR10T, for target model. I'm still glad I went this route over a lesser AR10. I added a lighter handguard, PRS stock, K2+ grip, RRA varmint match trigger, Griffin Armament charging handle and it's a shooter:
ddIddPy.jpg

Continued: For pictures sake.....

6. The next one I really wanted to buy, but was dragging my feet because of the expense was an AR10 chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I finally made the decision to buy and chose the S&W performance center. What a sweet rifle. Even though it doesn't have a stainless barrel. It's slightly different than my other rifles. I pulled the factory butt stock on the first day and put a PRS on it. I also bought a Raptor charging handle and k2+ grip and installed them the same day I bought it:
EpwFmoj.jpg
This rifle is a shooting machine. It has always surprised me, even though the barrel is brand new and not broken in yet. This 5R barrel really impresses me:
oN6Uc3c.jpg

7. Now on to the wild and extravagant..... I decided I wanted a wildcat. Something in the 6mm realm... I saw an upper here for sale and I bit the bullet. Bought it and now I'm working on a wildcat cartridge. This one is actually very easy to work with. Just a simple run through the sizing die and that's all you need. It goes from 6.8SPC to 6WOA, that fast and easy. I'm working on loads for this thing right now. The initial loads and recipes for this thing did not work very well at all, so I ended up buying brand new starline brass and starting fresh. That seems to be working much better than the used brass I got with the upper. I was getting blown primers and split case necks with that old brass, and very poor accuracy. Not good at all... I actually pulled the barrel and installed it on my Noveske upper. So now I have a Noveske 6WOA:
JEQWsIK.jpg
I walked 5,200 yards the other day, working on a ladder and shooting loads through a chronograph. I marked each shot on paper, so I could see the accuracy nodes:
kyAD9zP.jpg
It was tedious work, but necessary. I know I'm in the right ballpark for speeds and accuracy looks much better than the previous loads. That 5,200 yards was dang near 3 miles I had to walk, just to retain information for this wildcat. Good info, but it's proven to be way more finicky than any other rifle I have.. Probably because I can't just open up a load manual and point a finger at a load and good starting pint. Working with the wildcat is all on me.... Kind of a pain in the arse, but it is what it is...

Last Edited:
Slick little critter, just needs a LAW folder and it'd be your own Briefcase Special...
Nah... this is more of a CQB build. LOP is perfect with the 8.45" tube and SBM4 brace, and it measures just a sliver over 26" and I'd like to reserve the option to VFG....and this recently happened, so anything past the hinge on the Law is no longer measurable...
Besides, I'm more of a Rock my Glock in a Murse Kinda guy...
C7D01229-79D2-4C74-91CE-8B0C7D252424.jpeg

And Scarlett is my my fold up travel companion anyway
She fits handily in my get home bag and rides shotgun wherever I go.
7D96A7A4-5C63-466C-A782-2440B06124D5.jpeg
Just a flip of the stock, and a twist of the Can...and I can defend my Japanese love pillows from the nasty roving gangs of marauding zombie ninjas, and not have to worry about adding to the tinnitus already raging in my ear holes!:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top