JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a recent post the topic of AR addiction was brought up... so I thought it would be fun to share what I consider the Stages of AR addiction and how I fell down the rabbit hole.
Please share yours too.

I'll break it up into 6 stages:

Stage 1. the first taste...
I bought my first one several years ago during the firearmageddon of the early 2010's, It was the only AR in town for sale at the time so I way overpaid for it and it was a finicky beast of a franken DMR with every component from a different manufacturer...
IMG_2072.jpg

There wasn't near as much in the way of customization readily available but I still had to change out the standard GI furniture with Magpul MOE to make it my own.
IMG_2073.jpg

I sold it less than a year later at a minimal loss to fix my car, and had been wanting another one ever since.

Stage 2. THE ITCH
Fast forward to last summer... After watching way to many Nutnfancy vids, and seeing the direction things were headed world wide... I felt a sense of urgency to get my preps together. I'm not the only one... Many people that I highly respect, that maintain a close relationship with God out of nowhere had begun stocking up... even my father now in his mid 70's started buying guns for the first time in his life. An Ar was at the top of my list. I got the idea that I could buy a lower, and add a few pieces a month along with a box or two of ammo, and have it finished before the election. I figured 5 months $100-$150 a month and I'll be set, just in case Hillary gets in and/or SHTF. So next time I was in a gun shop I picked up an Anderson lower, and so it began. I got it home and took it out of the package, and learned my first lesson as an AR builder... Do your research and inspect your parts carefully before you buy. Turns out I paid $90 for an Anderson blemished lower, and the shop refused to take it back or exchange it because it was a consignment and some legal BS. Last piece I bought at that shop...

Stage 3. Into the Rabbit Hole
I couldn't wait a full month to get going so I went to Gators and bought a Rock River Arms lower parts kit that came with an ergo grip, and a PMag... and spent another $90. Then I remembered my cousin had an extra carbine butt stock and buffer assembly and was able to trade him for a few boxes of .22 ammo. So all in my lower cost me $180 and some .22 ammo.
IMG_1356.JPG IMG_1361.JPG
Stage 4. Finding the best dealers(the first tee shirt is always free!)
It's at this point that I learned AR building was an addiction and I was on a very slippery slope. You can only fondle a complete lower for so long before you start to scheme and plot how to get the next fix. I had to wait till the next month, and thankfully my wife was on board(she gets it.. good wife!) and let me go to Limitless in Washougel, Wa where he had a deal at the time for an upper, barrel, and bolt carrier group (all Anderson) and a free Ammend2 Mag all for just over $200. Unfortunately while I was there I saw all the cool accessories he had at great prices, and he gave me a Hillary for Prison 2016 t-shirt free with my purchase. Needless to say I've spent a lot of money there since and keep going back...

IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1375.JPG

Stage 5. What ever it takes for the next fix!
At this point I have most of a rifle and need a little over $100 worth of parts to get it shootable. Thank goodness for gun shows. I had no $, but the term "shot glass" comes from the old west when you could trade a bullet(1 shot) for a mouthful of whiskey. Bullets = Currency, And I did have a good amount of 9mm and 22lr ammo to trade. That weekend I was able to trade said ammo and a scope(i also procured by trading ammo) for most of the parts I needed to make it go bang. Instead of buying a barrel wrench I bribed the boys a gators with a box of tacos to attach the barrel and check the headspace. I was lucky enough to find a magpul mbus2 rear sight on ebay... my winning bid was only $11 and I spent another 20 on a UTG front sight that would work with the DPMS gas block I got at the gun show.

All in I had a serviceable AR for a little over $400 cash, about $100 worth of ammo and other trades, and a box of tacos... I put the whole thing together with a tiny hammer, an eyeglass repair kit, and a buffer tube tool.

Stage 6. ROCK BOTTOM
So I started in June and took the first shots in late July... A little quicker than the 4-5 months I had planned and budgeted for. The gun functioned flawlessly through 3 full mags, but as I was wiping it down to put it away, I noticed the gas block had come loose. It was a take off from a DPMS and made of aluminum. I probably could have dimpled the barrel and locktighted the crap out of it to make it work, but at this point I was entering the final stages of complete AR addiction... The point when you start rationalizing "upgrades" and accumulating a box full of extra parts that you may or may not use on the next build. And you start thinking about "the next build".
I already had my eye on the Matrix Charlie free floating handrail at Limitless for only $99 and was able to rationalize getting it because a steel low pro gas block was cheaper, easier to install, and much more secure... and you can't use a delta ring with a lo-pro so $500 becomes over 6
then the addiction really takes hold and Rationalization prevails...
YHM Comp/Brake(for quicker follow up shots, and it looks way cooler than a bird cage)
Ergo never quit grip (to hide the mentioned "blemishes" on the magwell)
Strike Fang trigger guard(in case i'm wearing gloves, and easier mag changes)
Strike Polymer Flag dust cover(cause 'Merica)
60 rd drum mag (in case they are banned)
450 pum Fenix light and pressure switch(rule 4: be sure of your target and all that)
MFT folding FG (to hold extra batteries and attach pressure switch)
Keymod rail sections (to attach light, and FG)
ahhh what the hell who am I kidding....
Sweet deal on a vortex red dot(because I wanted it)
Strike extended charging handle(because I wanted it)
An ambi safety would be nice. (because I wanted it)
Oh my mil spec trigger could be better (because I wanted it)
So much for a budget build...
It is now rock solid, accurate, and extremely reliable, without so much as a hiccup through several hundred rounds. I'd trust it to GTW.

IMG_2157.JPG

I think I'm almost done with this one, I'd like a magnifier, and a better sling and QD endplate, But my second build,though quite nice as is, is gnawing at my OCD for some "upgrading"...and the one after that is basically stripped receivers waiting to be a 300bo pistol. Later a 6.5 or 6.8 upper for hunting. And I still "need" an AR10 6.5 cree or .308? both?. I've since bought all the tools needed, watched countless youtube vids and read everything I can get my hands on so I can competently build and maintain all my firearms. With all that time and money invested, it would be a shame not to use said tools, skills, and knowledge to continue to build and upgrade AR15s... maybe AKs next, or Milsurp kits,1911s... I do have a stock g17 that could use some love.

Last Edited:
My addiction started in a much different way and a very long time ago when flat tops did not exist, only A1 carry handles and rifles had shorter A1 stocks.

But we both have the same issue once you are hooked, "YOU ARE HOOKED!"

My pics are a sample of some take off stuff I have floating around and the fishing box is full of pins, springs, hammers, triggers along with my tools and gauges to build them.

I do not know how much stuff I have traded or given away because I mean how many factory safeties do I really need to save (for emergencies) or stock grips that I hate. I have a lot more stuff floating around just did not want to dig it out.

So welcome to the AR club and I hope you enjoy the addiction as much as I do.

Remember shooting them is just as much fun as building them and when you train you will find out the stuff you really need and want and eliminate the rest.

parts 1 300dpi.jpg
parts 2 33dpi.jpg

Yeah all the rails are great for spending more money on optics and doodads that end up costing more than the rifle:p. If you get addicted to AR modularity I'd suggest you stay away from reloading. I'm still convinced I'll save money at some point:eek:.
IMG_2264.jpg

When I starting shouting IDPA, I was told to start reloading! "You won't saves any money, but you will shoot twice as much" is what was told to me... and it's pretty much true! Then you also don't mind those non standard calibers either!

My addiction started in a much different way and a very long time ago when flat tops did not exist, only A1 carry handles and rifles had shorter A1 stocks.

But we both have the same issue once you are hooked, "YOU ARE HOOKED!"

My pics are a sample of some take off stuff I have floating around and the fishing box is full of pins, springs, hammers, triggers along with my tools and gauges to build them.

I do not know how much stuff I have traded or given away because I mean how many factory safeties do I really need to save (for emergencies) or stock grips that I hate. I have a lot more stuff floating around just did not want to dig it out.

So welcome to the AR club and I hope you enjoy the addiction as much as I do.

Remember shooting them is just as much fun as building them and when you train you will find out the stuff you really need and want and eliminate the rest.

View attachment 361580
View attachment 361581

LOL, I have two of the same tackle boxes but mine are full of................. you guessed it, fishin tackle..... lol although I do have a large 4 drawer horizontal filing cabinet I use for storing personal freedom components, parts and accessories...........
I too am hooked but I ain't lookin for no stinking intervention....:eek::eek::eek::D

Yeah all the rails are great for spending more money on optics and doodads that end up costing more than the rifle:p. If you get addicted to AR modularity I'd suggest you stay away from reloading. I'm still convinced I'll save money at some point:eek:.
View attachment 361595

I agree wholeheartedly on all accounts brudda. I had to get into reloading because I was bored....:D:D:D

View attachment 361595
I'm already very deep into reloading... I just finished the arduous task of prepping and priming about 800 rounds of once fired LC 5.56 millitary range brass. It's amazing, as dirty as it was, it shined up like new... I learned that putting a few used dryer sheets in the tumbler makes a huge difference. The dirt and grime are attracted to the sheets, and keep the media and brass nice and clean. I will be charging and seating over the next few days. I use a single stage and weigh each charge just in case my cheap Lee powder dumper is off even though it's usually within .05-.1 every time unless I'm using a stick powder like varget(gotta love OCD). My 18" will make clover leaves at 100yards with ballM193 so i found the recipe using H335 and will do most of 'em up with 55grain Fmjs... and some varmageddons for my home defense rounds. I also just tested a few different Sierra 69 grain hpbt/cfe223 loads and I think I found a winner. Reloading is an addiction all on its own, but I consider it a worthy investment. Like I said i'm my OP: bullets=currency... always has always will.

Last Edited:
@kbloomfeldt Hella good article and worthy of publication!
Thank you very much... I'm sure your compliment would make my High School Language Arts teacher proud, if he's still alive. It's funny... I didn't like to write back when it was required of me, and now 25 years later I'd love to do it for a living if I could... I'm disabled from a car accident and it takes me a while to piece things together, and get my thoughts out( dain bramage ) but I enjoy it. Thanks for the encouragement... I'll try not to bombard this forum with too many essays. I have to say.. I feel a whole lot more welcome on this forum than some of the other forums I've chimed in on...

LOL, I have two of the same tackle boxes but mine are full of................. you guessed it, fishin tackle..... lol although I do have a large 4 drawer horizontal filing cabinet I use for storing personal freedom components, parts and accessories...........
I too am hooked but I ain't lookin for no stinking intervention....:eek::eek::eek::D
I don't think any of us are looking for intervention... the thing that separates this addiction from some of the, shall we say, less healthy addictions... is the lack of denial. We know we're hooked and fully admit it. And if admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery, I've been on the road to recovery since day one. No wait... I've been on the road to the gun shop.

I stole this meme from DSAPT9... E0EABA3F-FE94-4C72-B872-1117B66AE044-2752-0000043D2C2BE96B_tmp.jpg

We must all hang together here or it is certain we will all hang separately. Now I wanna build a Left Hand Heavy Barrel 20" with retro A2 features including a rifle butt stock. But I want it in 6.5 Grendel. For now.

One of the fun and crazy things about the AR15 platform is that once you get that sound bottom end, all sort of crazy fun upper assemblies beckon. There is no end to the fun and madness. Once bit ... YIKES!

Hundreds of builds ... no cure ... who cares. Next I will want a .375 Socum top. Then who knows? :)

I don't think any of us are looking for intervention... the thing that separates this addiction from some of the, shall we say, less healthy addictions... is the lack of denial. We know we're hooked and fully admit it. And if admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery, I've been on the road to recovery since day one. No wait... I've been on the road to the gun shop.

I stole this meme from DSAPT9...View attachment 361670

I stole this meme from DSAPT9...View attachment 361670

I'll admit I'm hooked but I do not have a problem. Those with problems are a mess, I on the other hand am in complete control of my addiction........ :p:p:p:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top