JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really a WW2 "war movie". But it was set during the time period (in China). Yeah....it was fun and with such an unforgettable title too.

Aloha, Mark

PS......sorry, I forgot about the Russian connection. So......I'll owe the readers of this thread another one.

Last Edited:
It's been mentioned though no links were provided so.....

Battle for Sevastopol

And one for good luck. The Brest Fortress.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Getting mired in the Russian Rasputitsa and then splitting forces in front of Moscow (late '41) was the beginning of the end.

The Germans negotiated for the Rhineland, Czechoslovakia, Austria.. They split Poland w/ the Russian (a fact conveniently overlooked today) and also Denmark never fired a shot.. Europeans were by and large still weary of war in 1939.

The Wermacht still relied heavily on horses in 1940. Motorized divisions were comparably few. They had no winter clothes. No wide tracked vehicles. I would argue German propaganda in WWII was much more effective than German military. The legendary Tigers, Panthers, Me262s and all of that didn't show up until late 1942 and 1943-44 when Germany was already on the defensive.

Last Edited:
Whenever I see these Russian "hero" movie titles it reminds me how few people realize soviets were allied with Nazis and agreed to take over Poland and each get half the country. Also that Stalin likely killed more civilians than the Nazis. Not to mention the first hand accounts of Soviet soldiers atrocities to civilians. If Germany was currently producing nazi "hero" movies I don't think it would go over well.

But having said that, my favorite film maker is the late Andrei Tarkovsky who had to make films within the constraints of the Soviet union's censorship and bleak budget. But he never made movies glorifying the Soviet Union.

In the West, the needs of the Cold War required Hollywood rehabilitate the image of Germany (to some degree). However if you read German histories of the Eastern Front there is some admiration for the tenacity and discipline of the Russian armed forces.

Whenever I see these Russian "hero" movie titles it reminds me how few people realize soviets were allied with Nazis and agreed to take over Poland and each get half the country. Also that Stalin likely killed more civilians than the Nazis. Not to mention the first hand accounts of Soviet soldiers atrocities to civilians. If Germany was currently producing nazi "hero" movies I don't think it would go over well.
100%

In the West, the needs of the Cold War required Hollywood rehabilitate the image of Germany (to some degree). However if you read German histories of the Eastern Front there is some admiration for the tenacity and discipline of the Russian armed forces.

100%
Agree no question there were heroes in Soviet Union, Germany, USA, and other countries.

It seems to me though these new Russian hero movies are made to build up an image (or myth) of soviet union in current Russian population.

Taking that hero info without questioning it leads to poeple making "heroes" out of mass murderers like Stalin. Stalin and Mao are the two biggest mass murderers who ever lived. Some say up to 60 million civilians for Stalin but the estimates vary. Don't like something the government is doing? you disappear, too smart?, you disappear, your neighbor says you criticized the gov?, you disappear, complain the gov not giving u enough food?, you disappear. For example the candidate for PDX mayor who is an ultra-left wing radical and member of Antifa apparently considers Stalin and Mao as heroes:
C427A539-68B5-45FE-996F-822F1ABFFAAB.jpeg
515970BB-0B0C-4702-BEA8-41523BA9836F.jpeg

Last Edited:
Agree no question there were heroes in Soviet Union, Germany, USA, and other countries.

It seems to me though these new Russian hero movies are made to build up an image (or myth) of soviet union in current Russian population.

Taking that hero info without questioning it leads to poeple making "heroes" out of mass murderers like Stalin. For example the candidate for PDX mayor who is an ultra-left wing radical and member of Antifa:
View attachment 1062608
View attachment 1062609
Absolutely right. As I have said in other posts, my neighbor who works for the ACLU, has a framed hammer and sickle on his wall. In my opinion, that symbol stands for the murder of millions of innocents. Just ask any immigrant from an Eastern Bloc country just how "cool" the Soviet Union was.

All of WWII would have been quite different if he had just left the Soviets alone, not bothered the British (where they lost a lot of the Luftwaffe) and just stuck to controlling much of western Europe. If he had done that, it is quite possible the much of Europe would still be under control of the Nazis.
He did not have that luxury. Britain and France declared war on Germany, not the other way around. Interestingly, although this was supposedly to guarantee Polish sovereignty, they did not see fit to declare war on the Soviet Union when the Soviets also invaded Poland in conjunction with the Germans.

The Soviets had their eyes on Western Europe as well. They invaded Poland in 1920 and would have kept on going had they not been defeated by the Poles. Hitler calculated that it was only a matter of time before the 2 countries came to blows.

He did not have that luxury. Britain and France declared war on Germany, not the other way around. Interestingly, although this was supposedly to guarantee Polish sovereignty, they did not see fit to declare war on the Soviet Union when the Soviets also invaded Poland in conjunction with the Germans.

The Soviets had their eyes on Western Europe as well. They invaded Poland in 1920 and would have kept on going had they not been defeated by the Poles. Hitler calculated that it was only a matter of time before the 2 countries came to blows.
Well said. As I understand it the "living space" outlined by Hitler in Mein Kampf was always to be taken out of the Russian frontier but I am far, far from an expert on that. From wiki:
600350EA-86B5-4EED-AAC2-9EFA5ADE5E8D.jpeg

Want more?

On the Road to Berlin.

This is a start of an entire series of films.

72 Hours

Under the heading "Whatever".

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Danish Army vs Nazis

Last Edited:
And some interesting long drama series.

Kill Stalin

and

MARSHAL ZHUKOV

DEATH TO SPIES (SMERSH)

Spies Must Die. The Fox Hole

BTW....there are also more of the "Spies Must Die" in a sort of subseries.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Add to that they thought that since they (the Germans) had done so well with the rest of Europe, that they (the Germans) were invincible and that the Soviets would just cave in, plus the Germans planned on scavenging for supplies, while the Soviets basically left nothing but scorched earth behind as they retreated.

Hitler's insistence on taking Stalingrad when the German's could have cutoff the Soviets anywhere along the Volga was a big mistake. The Germans got sucked into a trap - at first it was getting sucked into urban street to street fighting, then getting surrounded. Had Hitler not attacked Russia, if he had just gone straight down into the Caucuses to get those oil fields, he would have had the oil without having to deal with the Soviet army near as much. The battle of Stalingrad required him to remove forces from the western front.

All of WWII would have been quite different if he had just left the Soviets alone, not bothered the British (where they lost a lot of the Luftwaffe) and just stuck to controlling much of western Europe. If he had done that, it is quite possible the much of Europe would still be under control of the Nazis.
Agreed. If Hitler had simply stopped once the low countries were conquered, not attacked Britain, not allied themselves with Japan, not bailed out Italy, and consolidated power, Most of Europe would probably be called Germania to this day. Plus, if they'd been successful in developing atomic weapons, they literally could have captured the world.

For the Soviet aviation buffs.

And another Russian made for TV drama series.

And another one.

Aloha, Mark

PS....adding this to my watch list.

Last Edited:

100% correct.

The Bolshevists wanted a buffer zone in Europe, so it was only a matter of time. And ultimately the Soviets got what they wanted, for 50+ years plunged half of Europe into darkness.

It's worth mentioning the Soviets also provided assistance to the beleaguered Chairman Mao just as Chiang Kai-Shek was closing in... The Soviet Union was a dangerous expansionist power, contrary to what the "mainstream" narrative is today. Many people did not support Hitler's personal views but they held their nose and supported the Nazis because they felt the alternative was worse.

Last Edited:
A huge amount of what we Americans are taught and believe about WW2 is total Bu***crap. It's a flat out lie. One which out "media" serves and propagates. I served. My father served as well, a much nastier environment for him in WW2, or worst of all my grandfather was in the trenches in WW1. We've been fed lies. So so many lies. Movies help propagate those lies. Books do as well, but with books, you can pause and reflect, go look it up on other reference works. I would recommend that anyone who wants to start to grasp what the truth is read and examine some solid history books:

The book "Operation Snow" names the worst Traitor ever. No not Benedict Arnold, as bad as that was. No, this was 1000 to a million times worse, and you've likely never heard of the traitor who worked for President Roosevelt. If you are not aware, isn't it time you familiarize yourself? Harry Dexter White (aka Weiss) worked in the Roosevelt administration. A USSR operative (not a spy, but someone working directly for the USSR but being paid by the US government. Stalin and the USSR Secret police ordered White with getting the US into war with Japan and that he did. The bs you read about Japan being the warmongering aggressors is not true. Media still pitch this lie to this day. The US made Pearl Harbor occur, and the Secret Police files that came out of the USSR in 1995 after the Soviet Union fell provides the truth and facts about it. The second in charge of the NKVD ran the traitor White and admitted that it was all so horrifyingly true. WW2 was a needless war caused by the Soviet Union and nudged along by a few traitors in the Roosevelt administration.

There are 3 other hugely significantly worthwhile books that are different from the false conventional historical belief taught in American schools as truth, yet these significant works all seem to agree with each other. Here's the first one, you can figure out the other 21. Google on Amazon "Suvorov" for the 2nd one.

"Freedom Betrayed" by ex-President Herbert Hoover. Hoover saw that the traitors in the Roosevelt administration were working hard to get American into an unnecessary war via USSR agents embedded into the US government. He didn't understand exactly what was occurring but he knew it was horrifically wrong and traitorous on many levels. It was literally Hoover's life's work to work uncovering the traitorous actions he and his team found and to document it. He realized that his angry emotional angry first draft was overly wrought and chose to refine it which he did for the rest of his life. Nothing was left in his book that was not double sourced, and he had a full time team working on gathering facts, reworking and re-editing the manuscript for so many years. It is interesting that if you do a copy - paste to the internet on most of the duplicitous characters he roots out as traitors or involved in traitorous activities, they are jewish. If you copy-paste and source anyone who is supportive of those traitorous persons actions or ignores them in a historical work, they are almost always also jewish as well. I don't know why that is- but it is so.

Or don't read direct sourced history, ignore the truth and get your info from the same lying news sources that try and fill your head with lies daily: It's real, this is a small sample of what we are all getting.

I can bring much much more, but start with this, allow your mind to open, and continue to your own research. You won't get it from movies but from original sourced history books - there are "free speech" sites online for now, as hard as it is to read peoples nasty little thoughts about others, look into those places. Best to all

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads