JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If made, would you buy a smart gun?

• Not a chance

Votes: 85 95.5%
  • Yes, I love new tech

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
I recall reading of Cali and their "smart" gun saga.
At the time I read it, I thought, make this proposal mandatory for your blue force, for trials and tribulations.
Lets play R&D roulette with your minions in the heat of the night for a years term.

The weirdest thing. I just did a search for a smart gun parody video that I saw a few years ago. No matter how I worded the search, or where I did it, I found nothing even close to it. Most of what I found was anti-gun stuff and SNL bashing conservatives or the President. This censoring thing may be ramping up a bit. Or my google-foo must have failed me.
Maybe try the same search on DuckDuckGo — Privacy, simplified. ?

Consider this: California passed a law that in effect said that when microstamping became feasible, all new models of semi auto pistols would be required to have that technology in order to be sold in California. Then state attorney general and current senator and presidential candidate Kamala Harris declared unilaterally that the technology was now viable and so, no new pistol designs can make the cut for California's "Safe handgun" roster.
But wait, there's more!
In the lawsuit that followed, the judge ruled that the law cannot be invalidated even though the conditions of it are impossible to meet.
Only in the PRK

Seriously?
Half the fun of owning a gun is showing it off to your pals and having them shoot it. Smart gun technology screws that up completely.

For some people its about showing off, some about collecting, others its about self deference. For those into
Only if it was cheap and bought as a novelty.

I could never rely on something like a "smart gun"...

agree

Consider this: California passed a law that in effect said that when microstamping became feasible, all new models of semi auto pistols would be required to have that technology in order to be sold in California. Then state attorney general and current senator and presidential candidate Kamala Harris declared unilaterally that the technology was now viable and so, no new pistol designs can make the cut for California's "Safe handgun" roster.
But wait, there's more!
In the lawsuit that followed, the judge ruled that the law cannot be invalidated even though the conditions of it are impossible to meet.
Only in the PRK

Seriously?
Half the fun of owning a gun is showing it off to your pals and having them shoot it. Smart gun technology screws that up completely.
Not if you hold hands... :p

Even if I was reasonably satisfied the technology worked (and I'm not) there is still no way in hell I'd want a "smart gun". I find it bizarre that half of gun owners in that survey reported being interested in buying one.

Even if I was reasonably satisfied the technology worked (and I'm not) there is still no way in hell I'd want a "smart gun". I find it bizarre that half of gun owners in that survey reported being interested in buying one.
It's probably that have an older revolver in the nightstand that's had the same ammo in it for 20+ years, or the lone rifle in the closet that has 1-4 rounds shot through it each year, depending on whether they confirmed zero or not.

They count as gun owners too.

I have already had experience with two "smart" guns. No one choses to speak of them and their Wonderful Modern Safeties.
Colt 1911 Series 80 has a firing pin safety, so you won't get shot if the muzzle is struck sharply. Rented one at Target Sports for a visiting Dutchman. BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, . . . click.
Click?
Waited an appropriate amount of time then ejected the "dud" cartridge.
No firing pin mark on the primer. None, not even a scratch. But I was standing next to it and did hear the "click".
Months later I rented a Colt Mustang .380 to try it out. I liked the way it fit me, and I could hit with it.
But, yes, it did go bang, bang, bang, bang, click. Golly Ned I don't like that in a gun. And yes, the primer was shiny and unscathed by any pin mark.
Then I bought a nice little Henry .22, used, just the right size for my aging arms. Shot for several years, liked it, if not so much as my o-l-d Marlin 39A. Last time out bang bang bang click. So maybe a dud .22, besides it ejected somewhere in the grass. Worked lever, tried again. Click. This one I carefully ejected in my hand (after waiting a respectful time) No firing pin mark. No mark at all.

Safeties keep the gun from firing. We all know not to rely on the safety to keep the gun from firing, lest some deadly accident ensue.
Until these three experiences I was unaware that one cannot also rely on the safety to PERMIT one to fire his gun.
I'd like to believe this only the case with nice modern design safeties. Not so confident about the Clintonsafeties on my newer S&W revolvers, either.
I just might not be first in line for a Smart Gun.
Consider me one Arch-Conservative Old Retired Engineer Geezer.

"John M. Browning built the best smart gun."

JMB designed the M1911 with Cond. 0 as the intended ready carry mode. He considered the grip safety to be perfectly adequate for carry. Now that's a gun for smart people.

It was actually New Jersey that passed the law requiring smart gun tech on every new handgun once one was commercially available anywhere in the country. A gun store in Santa Clarita California put one, an Amratrix, in their display case and was instantly shamed by the 2A community for screwing their New Jersey gun owners. They quickly removed it from the sale case and pretended they never offered one for sale.

Similar is California's microstamping requirement. The statute said that as soon as microstamping (on three parts of the gun which imprint on the cartridge case) was available unencumbered by patents, no handgun could be added to the roster of approved handguns for sale until they had microstamping. The California AG, Kamala Harris, certified, without any factual basis, that microstamping was available and unencumbered by patents. Now no new handguns can be added to the roster. The NRA and CRPA sued and the California Supreme Court ruled that it doesn't matter if microstamping is impossible, the state can do whatever it wants. Expect the same from the smart gun legislature crowd.

More things to go wrong. I already dislike technology.. and connectivity/reliability issues for a carry gun is out of the question. The manual firearms work very efficiently.. why change a good thing?

Id suppose as "smart guns" became more prevalent they'd become simply another way to not only keep tabs on folks, but a way to make them jump through more unnecessary hoops and lastly cost them more time and money.. and all for control, liability and lawyering.

All of which makes me wonder about the used gun market. Will there be laws prohibiting the transfer of "dumb" guns?
Ownership? I loathe the idea of smart guns. They will put RFID tracking in them and I'll bet big money on a remote kill switch rendering your gun inert.

The idea was to invest heavily in the development of personalized weapons that could be fired only by a single person: the gun's owner. This was considered a nearly science-fictional proposition in the late 1990s, years before the world was filled with smartphones and finger sensors. But consumer backlash against the project drove the gunmaker to the verge of ruin, and Smith & Wesson recently told shareholders that the corporate bleeding touched off by this long-ago episode has never fully stopped. "Sales still suffer from this misstep," the company said in a February filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Lying bastards!! It wasn't stupidgun tech that pissed people off and nearly did them in, it was making deals with the devil.
https://www.businessinsider.com/smi...ut-of-business-trying-to-do-the-right-thing-2

Nobody blames the free market. Nearly half of gun owners in the U.S. would consider buying a smart gun, according to a Johns Hopkins University study.

Not according to the poll in this thread, pretty wide margin of error.

(Michael R. Bloomberg, founder of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP, is a donor to groups that support gun control.)

There's a surprise.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top