JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If made, would you buy a smart gun?

• Not a chance

Votes: 85 95.5%
  • Yes, I love new tech

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
Technology can and does often fail. Batteries run low. Electronics can be damaged by exposure to water or shock. You can't afford to reboot in the middle of a gun fight. If the technology was so great why don't police departments adopt it. I'm certain the military won't adopt it because what happens if you have to pick up another weapon if yours fails.

Granted a 100% mechanical firearm can also fail but I think the chances of that are much less. Sure we have laser sights, red dots and optics that can fail but we have back up iron sights for such situations.

These are "smart" enough for me...:D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

I have an iPhone 7. It costs a bomb. I think apple is amazing. However when I wash my hands the fingerprint activation WILL NOT WORK till my finger dries.

I'm not going to trust my life on some tech that is guaranteed to be worse than apple

- "Hey Alexa! Save my life."
- "Did you want me to call the police?"
- "Hey Alexa! No, unlock my weapon now!"
- "Sorry, you do not have adequate social standing to defend yourself."
- "Hey Alexa! unlock my gun! NOW!"
- "I don't like your tone, I'll call a Judge and red flag you"

Huh, so far that poll of gun owners saying 50% would buy one does not seem.... well accurate. Shocking I tell you, shocking.
From an article referenced by the original article in the OP:

Nearly 60 percent of Americans, if they buy a new handgun, are willing to purchase a smart or childproof gun – a weapon that is only operable in the hands of an authorized user – new Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health-led research suggests.

Bloomberg-financed "research", what a joke. He always gets the answer he pays for.

I dont think anyone would mind owning a gun that only they can shoot. But when laws are passed saying all you can buy is smart guns it shuts the idea of having one very quickly, and rightly so.

The weirdest thing. I just did a search for a smart gun parody video that I saw a few years ago. No matter how I worded the search, or where I did it, I found nothing even close to it. Most of what I found was anti-gun stuff and SNL bashing conservatives or the President. This censoring thing may be ramping up a bit. Or my google-foo must have failed me.

Well let's see, I won't even own a keypad on my safes, so hmmmm, yeah I'll pass. Now if it is attached to a phaser we can talk, I'll buy two and figure out how to disable the "smart" part.

Last Edited:
Wait, I see it in the smoke. A "law" in effort to make something of this nature, mandatory.
Consider this: California passed a law that in effect said that when microstamping became feasible, all new models of semi auto pistols would be required to have that technology in order to be sold in California. Then state attorney general and current senator and presidential candidate Kamala Harris declared unilaterally that the technology was now viable and so, no new pistol designs can make the cut for California's "Safe handgun" roster.
But wait, there's more!
In the lawsuit that followed, the judge ruled that the law cannot be invalidated even though the conditions of it are impossible to meet.
Only in the PRK
I dont think anyone would mind owning a gun that only they can shoot.
Seriously?
Half the fun of owning a gun is showing it off to your pals and having them shoot it. Smart gun technology screws that up completely.

Consider this: California passed a law that in effect said that when microstamping became feasible, all new models of semi auto pistols would be required to have that technology in order to be sold in California.

Kalifornia should mandate that all police in state are required to have them as duty weapons.
Something tells me that would end the debate, as it would be shown these are not ready for prime time life and death situations.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top