JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
NOTE: https://realitybloger.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/the-sheriff-who-sold-his-county
If you get sent to the main blog page, then look for the article on the On the main page, look for the article "The Sheriff Who Sold His County" on the "Most Popular" list on the right. I did a search and found no reference to this article on this forum.

I came across this article this morning. If this article is accurate, then Sheriff's Offices all across the country may be in danger. Or, is this a bunch of BS? If anybody is in that part of the country or knows about this, please chime in. Here is an excerpt...

As of January 1, 2010, the day that Salt Lake County became a police state, the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Department was officially dissolved. In its place was created a brand new corporation, which is now described as “…responsible for all police operations”. This private company is called the “Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake”, or the “Unified Police Department” for short.

Manta.com lists this “private company” here: (<broken link removed>).

This Unified Police Department (UPD) became the “new police force” for all municipal corporations (cities) and all unincorporated areas within the County of Salt Lake, thereby dissolving the only true lawful protective body within the county, the elected Sheriff’s “Department“.

To add to the treasonous nature of this takeover of Salt Lake County, this elected Sheriff was then appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Unified Police Department by the County Council. To clarify, the elected Sheriff Jim Winder was appointed by the elected County Council to be the CEO of the private company called “Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake”, which is in charge of all law enforcement within the County of Salt Lake.

Privatization of government services. Get used to it. It's the wave of the future. Prisons, police, social security, medicare. It'll solve all our problems.

I really hope I'm detecting a bit of sarcasm there, because you couldn't possibly be serious. You can't have ever read Dilbert and still think this is a good idea.

there's a lot of evidence to support the idea that privatized government services should run more efficiently. the problem is that hasn't been the case so far- privatized prisons have just been a huge bubblegumming racket, for instance. seems like there is a LOT of room for abuse, with a private police department.

there's a lot of evidence to support the idea that privatized government services should run more efficiently. the problem is that hasn't been the case so far- privatized prisons have just been a huge bubblegumming racket, for instance. seems like there is a LOT of room for abuse, with a private police department.

I would imagine this evidence would be in the form of studies funded by people who would like to provide privatized government services.

The real problem, public or private, is corruption. Simple human greed and lust for power.

I was just in Salt Lake and the police looked the same as they always have. BTW, I'd support sending folks like that Laughner character or that street preacher who abducted from her home and repeated raped that 14 year old Elisabeth Smart to China for warehousing, rather than life in a US prison. Wonder what they would charge for that service.

I would imagine this evidence would be in the form of studies funded by people who would like to provide privatized government services.

The real problem, public or private, is corruption. Simple human greed and lust for power.

if the government... ANY government... could run itself without misallocating funds and rampant corruption, that'd be the way to do it. but the problem has always been that governments have next to no accountability. private corporations run efficiently because they cannot survive without turning a profit, and the reason privatized government services don't ever work is because they're never required to run efficiently.

so what we get is an outsourced government entity replacement, instead of true private industry. private prisons COULD actually turn profits- be self-sufficient. instead, they're just given money from their local governments. WTF?

You want to be careful using profit as your yardstick. Private prisons need a steady source of slave labor to remain profitable. That might lead to pretty slack interpretations of what constitutes criminal behaviour. Public or private - it all boils down to oversight by men of integrity - something sadly lacking in america today. Greed and corruption rampant throughout all segments of society. Once criminals obtain leadership, they recruit more criminals - which leads us to where we are today.

Every time you vote for an incumbent,you fuel their fire.If we don't stop re-electing these people,these problems will continue.

As to the private police and prisons.
What happens when the same company runs both?
Just a thought

2. Social Security was established in 1935. They have had 76 years to get it right and it is broke.
All the feds need to do to make it solvent again is to put back the money illegally taken out of the TRUST FUND!! If the gov't can afford to bail out private industry they can afford to do the same for SS!

Eight U.S. Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
South West Washington Arms Collector member

All the feds need to do to make it solvent again is to put back the money illegally taken out of the TRUST FUND!! If the gov't can afford to bail out private industry they can afford to do the same for SS!

That's the problem right there... there NEVER WAS a trust fund, garbage in garbage right back out just as fast! The goobermint COULDN'T afford to bail out private industry, they just printed funny money... and in the case of the auto industry they shafted the primary bond holders and gave the assets to the unions. LEGALIZED THEFT!!!

It seems like the people of this country are welcoming the slide into fascism.

Just to get out an old quote, by an old guy, for my privatization of government services friends:

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power"
Benito Mussolini, Italian dictator, 1883-1945

It seems like the people of this country are welcoming the slide into fascism.

Just to get out an old quote, by an old guy, for my privatization of government services friends:

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power"
Benito Mussolini, Italian dictator, 1883-1945

"Government service" is as much an oxymoron as "friendly fire".

And what slide? Are you saying that GE, GM and Goldman Sachs are really independent firms and not government tentacles? The federal government is already a fascist moloch. True privatization would make the corporation truly independent from government, not a subsidiary like this particular case.

The slide i'm talking about involves the weakening of 4th and 5th amendment rights, the militarization of the police, and having too much power going to too few individuals.

6. Freddie Mac was established in 1970. They have had 41 years to get it right and it is broke.

Freddie Mac is a private institution. Does this strengthen or weaken your argument?

I'd argue that the USPS has gotten it right. I get my mail six days a week. It's a service I'm willing to pay for--who says they have to be profitable?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top