JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Submitted for your approval, the classic 1961 episode of the The Twilight Zone entitled "The Shelter". It is a classic study in keeping your yap shut about your preps ... in the twilight zone. Or in the PNW or really anywhere else. Enjoy!

Bonus feature, Rod Serling interviewed by Bob Crane concerning fallout shelters.

My favorite is about the old guy and his coon dog. They won't let the dog into heaven., enough said.

I have the entire Twilight Zone on DVD (all five seasons). That episode is called "The Hunt" starring Arthur Hunnicutt and Jeanette Nolan. (Season 3, episode 19). It first aired on January 26, 1962.

You had to love Hyler Simpson (Hunnicutt) and his "hound dog" named Rip.

I also liked the one about the bookworm (played by Burgess Merideth) that survives The Bomb to at last be alone to read all the books he wants....then he breaks his glasses. I'm telling you, surviving TEOTWAWKI is not for the near sighted.

I also liked the one about the bookworm (played by Burgess Merideth) that survives The Bomb to at last be alone to read all the books he wants....then he breaks his glasses. I'm telling you, surviving TEOTWAWKI is not for the near sighted.

"Time Enough as Last" was indeed a good one.

<broken link removed>

Ah... "Time Enough At Last" is the title of the episode. (Season 1, Episode 8) It first aired on November 20th, 1959.

There was also one where the soldiers are walking down the road and the last one walking down the old dirt road was Lincoln
It might have been called Glory Road.

I also liked the Night Gallery. Sterling did good work.

The episode to which you refer is "The Passerby" (season 3, episode 4) episode #69 of the series It first aired October 6th, 1961. Starring James Gregory, Joanne Linville. Austin Greene portrayed Abraham Lincoln.

In high school social studies we were given a problem to solve about our shelter that closely resembled Sterling's show.
We had to choose between about a dozen people for a lesser number of places in the shelter. It was tough! Complicated!

Just one of the problems, the doctor was bigoted and disliked the black man in the group! The black gentleman was the only person who could open the door by himself! Lotsa difficultys of that nature!
I can't remember my grade! LOL!!!:D

In high school social studies we were given a problem to solve about our shelter that closely resembled Sterling's show.
We had to choose between about a dozen people for a lesser number of places in the shelter. It was tough! Complicated!

Just one of the problems, the doctor was bigoted and disliked the black man in the group! The black gentleman was the only person who could open the door by himself! Lotsa difficultys of that nature!
I can't remember my grade! LOL!!!:D

Bomb shelter themed curriculum?
I wish I'd gone to your school.

That's back when TV was for entertainment; need streaming and DVDs for that now. The bunker/survival scenarios are always rewarding; some however forget to give enough or any credence to the fact that even the best of friends would eventually become adversaries.

There was obviously political or ideological agendas on TV back then, but it seems as though (in hindsight) the agendas were more subtle; the "Trojan Horse" technique perhaps.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top