JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone use a box cutter blade as a face razor?
Its actually my favorite while on the job if I had missed a patch.. That and folks think Im trying to slice my face or neck.

At home, I use a KA-BAR

I haven't shave since mid-July. I won't shave again until the snow melts. We are already into the mid-20's at night here in the mountains. I will occasionally trim it for the wife(y'know, as her Christmas gift.), but will not shave with 5' of snow on the ground and highs in the teens.

Then, come early March, I will climb until I reach a bear den, wrestle the lazy beast from his winter slumber, attempt to negotiate my head into the bears jaws and manipulate the rear of the jaw bone for my Spring look. Should the bear resist(this has yet to be a problem.), I will kill him with my bare hands, consume the flesh, use the broken femur to clear cut from nape of neck to the lower ridge of eye socket, then wear my new bear robe over my face and massive shoulders, to keep the wind off my chiseled face as I descend back to my home. Until July, when t is time to put the winter beard on, I will occasionally run full speed between two pine trees 8-10" apart until the bark is gone and my face is a smooth, chiseled masterpiece, reminiscent of a Charley Russell painting.

I just finished Vardis Fisher' "Mountain Man". Excuse the hyperbole. Sam Kinard I try to emulate, but Sam Kinard I am not.

I always wanted to try a straight razor.

Is it hard to learn how without nicking the heck out of yo face?
I know this was directed at the Swede but I'll try to give some input.
You'll need a good razor and a couple of stones/hones and a strop or two and perhaps some stropping/polishing compounds.

There are quite a few vids on utoob on caring for and using a straight edged razor.
I bought mine new a long time ago and it's still perfect and I love it.. looking unused though as I said, I really only use it to whack many multi-day growth. Very efficient and easy to do/use, as long as it's.. razor sharp.

been shaving in the shower for decades, no mirror, just whatever bath soap I have at the time. get a very close shave with any razor. blades last for quite a while too. Its gotten so I can't shave in a mirror without cutting the crap out of myself.

I have to shave for work, but I don't like it so I only do it on the first day of the workweek and try to avoid management. I've been off work since August 20th, so I'm growing what's known in my profession as a "FMLA Beard". I had to trim it up a bit recently to look presentable at a social function, but I'm enjoying not having to scrape my face every 8 days.

Did you know that your razor blade doesn't get dull from sliding over your face? The dullness in most modern blades is due to rust. Microscopic though it may be, that's what causes you to replace your blades every few days. After a good rinse I dry mine off and hit it with the hair dryer. Then just a touch of oil and I've more than doubled the lifespan of that blade. :s0155:

I shave my neck and use a beard trim my to keep from being too bushy. I am just fine with two blade bic type razors. Some how with two or 3 bargain packs I am pretty sure I have enough until I die.

Brutus out although you can see my bush beard from when I was gold mining in Alaska.
In my avatar shot.

In all seriousness, I use women's disposable razors most of the time. I don't mind shaving with the cheapest, crap razor there is but when I have a choice I like these pink ones my old lady uses. I'm not kidding, they just really seem to leave my face a bit more smooth and less of a chance for razor burn. I'm not sure the brand of the pink ones, but another one I like is the Bic Soleil.

I've been using straight razors for well over a decade now. Both a better shave and you can just touch up the blade on the strop instead of throwing away a disposable or cartridge that costs you a couple bucks each.

My latest project straight razor - picked it up for $6 at one of the local antique stores. It is an early 1920's Western Cutlery CO blade from Boulder, CO. This particular model is a no frills blade offered from 1921 to 1924 near as I can tell.
View attachment 70520

same blade after a few hours of work. It needs more work yet but it will soon be just like new and put to good use in the rotation.
View attachment 70519

I use a double edge.
I've always wanted a blade like this. But, two concerns. Is it deadly sharp like a razor blade? And two, how often do I need to sharpen? Also can I screw up the blade by not sharpening correctly?

One of my favorite "Leave it to Beaver" episodes is when Wally tries out his dad's safety razor. He lathers up and goes through a nice clean shave.
Then the Beaver pipes up and says "Now try it with a razor blade in it Wally".
Later, down at the dinner table, Wally has about fifteen bandages all over his face.

When I feel like taking the time:

full.jpg

full.jpg

A Wostenholm, around 140 years old. Shaves great! But usually I use a Gilette Fatboy, from the late 50s. I can shave with that without a mirror.

AOM7_Rhodium_Plated_Plating_Gillette_Fatboy_Adjustable_DE_Safety_Razor.jpg

Mine is less shiny though, and more worn. :)

In all seriousness, I use women's disposable razors most of the time. I don't mind shaving with the cheapest, crap razor there is but when I have a choice I like these pink ones my old lady uses. I'm not kidding, they just really seem to leave my face a bit more smooth and less of a chance for razor burn. I'm not sure the brand of the pink ones, but another one I like is the Bic Soleil.

You just like the way they smell. :cool:

As for me... since the ripe old age of 16 (over 30 years ago) I've been cursed with a Fred Flintstone beard from hell, and every morning I awake to a 150grit sandpaper mug that must be knocked back for fear of ripping the flesh from areas of my lovely wife.

At 17 & 18 when I was a lowly private in the Army, I would CONSTANTLY get accused of not shaving in the morning by my Platoon Sgt. (he thought I was only shaving the night before) until one of the squad leaders finally piped up and said (in a VERY southern accent), "I saw him shave this morning Sgt. Kaylor, the boy just got a tough beard!"... Funny'er than hell moment!

Nowadays, I use a Gillette Mach-5 and good ol' Barbasol foam... after a HOT shower (or face wash) for a baby-smooth finish, then back to 150grit sandpaper 24-hrs later... Lacking that, my go-to back-up is a hammer and rock-chisel.

I won't EVEN get started about the random hairs cropping up on the outter ears these days.... Uuuugh!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top