JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yea, it sucks. Might as well yap about our plight in the world.
I have a medium growth rate and choose to not look like a duck-commander or terrorist. Plus, if I shave, them girls might notice the rare upturned mouth corner I occasionally grant deserving souls.
When it comes to shaving cream/soap, I've found myself happy with Proraso.. a half-pea size offering, rubbed into your cleaned and prepared stubble works very well.

proraso-shavingsoap.jpg

I've been fairly happy with like a fifty pack (Costco) of Gillette Custom Plus Pivots.. a simple double blade disposable with a lube pad.

If somehow I've been out for a good while or something and have quite a moss patch, I'll lay a straight razor to my face instead of diddling around.

Back in the day, I used those double sided "safety" razors and hear that some really swear by the new blades now.

Anyway, this is the shaving thread.

I have a couple of the old style double-sided safety razors but find less work using my new style quattro razor, as I can shave without a mirror using it. I have tried fancy shave balms & just use
soap or some cheap shave cream now, as I am not trying to impress, just get the unshaven bum look gone.

Never heard of such a thing, shaving, is this some new euphemism term the kids use. Please explain what a razor is exactly and what you do with it.

I profanely HATED shaving my chin in the military, so it's been hairy since the morning I retired - last century.

Now I sport a trimmed goatee and moustache, keeping my cheeks and neck neat, which I shave maybe 3 times a week to spare my younger GF the decidedly scrotal Yasser Arafat look.

She got me a cheap 8" diameter mirror to hang in the shower on suction cups. After a few minutes of washing hair, face, etc., just about any free (sample-in-the-mail) razor will mow through even the heaviest foliage. Takes maybe 30 seconds without bifocals. Wish I had that little shower mirror back when I worked for Uncle Sam.

Love my double edge razor. Gives way smoother and better feeling shaves than any disposable I've ever used. Nice thing is I can go a week, get ny thick stubble, and still use it and not have it clogged up with hair. Razors are cheap too.

The shaving cream is nice and warm which is awesome using the boar brush.

I have been shaving Two Thirds of my life, I have Never shaved with a THREAD, what ~is~ a Shaving Thread, how is it sharpened ????

In the Army, I sewed my name tages on, and Birgade Patch, etc. I used Sewing Thread. Is Sewing Thread anything like Shaving Thread?

Please help me understand...

philip, he shaves from the Back of his neck, to the top of his Forehead, and from his Adams Apple, to under his Nose, all around the ears.... But it is all by touch, and in the shower.... :)

I recently changed my shaving routine and love the results. I gave up my 5 blade razor because of the cost and the fact that my Dad always looked fine with just a single blade. I'm back to a double blade at less than half the cost and feel I get a better shave.

I also gave up shaving cream for this: Shave Secret Shaving Oil, 0.63 fl oz: Shaving : Walmart.com

Shave Secret is amazing and goes a long ways. I've got enough stored away that I may not have to shop again for years.

I have been shaving Two Thirds of my life, I have Never shaved with a THREAD, what ~is~ a Shaving Thread, how is it sharpened ????

In the Army, I sewed my name tages on, and Birgade Patch, etc. I used Sewing Thread. Is Sewing Thread anything like Shaving Thread?

Please help me understand...

philip, he shaves from the Back of his neck, to the top of his Forehead, and from his Adams Apple, to under his Nose, all around the ears.... But it is all by touch, and in the shower.... :)
Oh Philip. Some women in some far lands would historically use thread (as an epilator) to twist out/pull unwanted hair.
Also, back in the old days, people would "lave" (I think) their hair.. pretty much just scrape it off with a .. scraper. anyway

Ahh, Certaindeaf, you's a party pooper, can't a guy have a little fun with out reality getting in his way?

I mean, if it weren't for reality, I would be having fun, all the time !!!!!

That's it. I am picking up my marbles, All of them, and going to go home & pout.

Maybe even hold my breathe until I turn Blue

Why isn't anybody listening ???? Darn, another wasted post!

phlip
In the Boon Docks... Going to sleep now, Certaindeaf just ruined my whole day, and part of the night!!! ;)

I've been using straight razors for well over a decade now. Both a better shave and you can just touch up the blade on the strop instead of throwing away a disposable or cartridge that costs you a couple bucks each.

My latest project straight razor - picked it up for $6 at one of the local antique stores. It is an early 1920's Western Cutlery CO blade from Boulder, CO. This particular model is a no frills blade offered from 1921 to 1924 near as I can tell.
Long Beach 001.jpg

same blade after a few hours of work. It needs more work yet but it will soon be just like new and put to good use in the rotation.
005.jpg

005.jpg

Long Beach 001.jpg

I've been using straight razors for well over a decade now. Both a better shave and you can just touch up the blade on the strop instead of throwing away a disposable or cartridge that costs you a couple bucks each.

My latest project straight razor - picked it up for $6 at one of the local antique stores. It is an early 1920's Western Cutlery CO blade from Boulder, CO. This particular model is a no frills blade offered from 1921 to 1924 near as I can tell.
View attachment 70520

same blade after a few hours of work. It needs more work yet but it will soon be just like new and put to good use in the rotation.
View attachment 70519

I always wanted to try a straight razor.

Is it hard to learn how without nicking the heck out of yo face?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top