JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"and – apparently unaware the weapon was loaded – pulled the trigger."

That's a direct quote from the article.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-Weapon-Inside-Hall-of-Justice-375642301.html

They've clearly got some of the details wrong, of course, but if half of it is true, Santos should be charged with whatever passes for reckless endangerment down there. Not being a fluffy bunny or whatever they've renamed it to. Sadly, being San Francisco, they'll probably put him in charge of safety training.

Now to the incompetent reporting:
The holes in the picture are not from a .22. They look like they could be from a 9mm or so. The term "Baby Glock" refers to the models 26, which is 9mm. So where did they get 22 from? Well, there is a Glock 22, but it's a 40 caliber, which makes holes about the same size as 9mm, but it's not easily confused with the 26. I recognize that reporters can't be experts on every subject, but two minutes on any internet search site would have told the reporter that things were way off kilter. <sigh>

And last but not least, how do you miss from pistol sharing distance? Not that I'm anxious to see the other officer shot, but who is this guy, Cyril Figgis?

No, no, no, Jim! If an official does it, it's an accidental discharge! Hardly worth bothering about!
If one of us does it, then it's a negligent discharge! Probably a felony!:D

I was not there and reading a news report isn't the best way to get all the facts.
But if someone hands you a gun and says they don't know how to operate it , why would you point it at them?
Let alone pull the trigger?

Firearm ID is also very important.
I get a lot grief when I complain when the wrong term or name of a type of gun is used, but getting the terms or names of firearm types correct is important.
It can end up being another "wrong fact" put out there to be used.

I also agree that this was not a accident , but indeed negligence.
One officer pointed a gun at another.
This same officer neglected to first check to see if the gun was unloaded and then neglected to ensure muzzle control.

We are all guilty of making mistakes , I am not saying that I have never mishandled a gun.
But mistakes with firearms can leave someone dead.
I am glad that this is not the case in this story.
If nothing else I hope that this story reinforces the safety practice of always checking to see if the gun is loaded , before you do anything else.
Andy

Don't be so harsh, it just went off! Guns are dangerous!

Good thing he didn't poke someone's eye out!!!:eek:

Not a .22 hole:s0002:.

I'm with the 9mm or .40 cal guy.

image.jpeg

A friend of mine who worked at the indoor range at Wade's in Bellevue says some of the most dangerous customers they had were police.

Poor muzzle discipline, bad marksmanship, generally unsafe handling was commonplace.

Not all police are careless with their weapons and some can really shoot well. But there's that old saying, "The empty (wooden) barrel makes the most noise". Foghorn leghorn is gonna be the one who blows off someone's toes or puts a round through a locker.

A friend of mine who worked at the indoor range at Wade's in Bellevue says some of the most dangerous customers they had were police.

Poor muzzle discipline, bad marksmanship, generally unsafe handling was commonplace.

Not all police are careless with their weapons and some can really shoot well. But there's that old saying, "The empty (wooden) barrel makes the most noise". Foghorn leghorn is gonna be the one who blows off someone's toes or puts a round through a locker.
Some officers think that the minute you put a badge on you're automatically an expert on law, public relations, driving fast and firearms. The rest of them actually work to get good at those things.

[QUOTE="Flopsweat, post: 1439628, member: 19284"]Some officers think that the minute you put a badge on you're automatically an expert on law, public relations, driving fast and firearms. The rest of them actually work to get good at those things.[/QUOTE]

The worst part is that most of the public believe that too.

"The round missed the her,"

I'm glad the her didn't get hit....

And why is nobody losing a job over this? The one brought a gun into the Hall of Justice that shouldn't have been there, and the other was unsafe with it and accidentally fired it twice (???), yet they both still have their jobs are are just getting a wrist slap and firearms training. If one of us had had an ND in the Hall of Justice before even getting to the security checkpoint, how long of a jail term would we be looking at?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top