JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An AR is an AR is an AR
I don't care what anyone says. Most of them shoot a 224 boolit and some have nicer furniture.
Still a 223/556 shooting a 224 booooolit.
They are ugly they shoot well they can have mags from 10-100+ rounds.
Still just an AR.;)
Flame on broskis......tell me how I am wrong
Oh you have a 308 AR? Yeah well?
Either you think they are something great or you realize they are just another military rifle:s0014::s0031:

What brand is the upper? The lower is Anderson and Palmetto? Does it have parts of some in each of them? Is the caliber 5.56 and .308? Sorry for all these questions, I'm just trying to know as much as I can about anything I'm interested in.

The complete AR is a 556 with a Anderson lower. The upper came in a Davidson Defense Kit I believe. The bolt carrier group (BCG) and fire control group (FCG) are Palmetto State Armory. It's a great rifle.

Last Edited:
Hi, and welcome. You certainly picked a very opinionated first topic:D. I was where you are about two years ago. Been shooting and reloading for bolt guns for going on 50 years. I finally decided I didn't know jacksshoe about ar's about the same time griggs in pasco had a sport15 on sale for 579. I'm thinking one of the foremost gun makers on the planet is offering an entry level ar for that price? "That was easy". Been happy every since. It shoots everything, everytime. And shoots it well. Then the poitics started heating up and i'm thinking about a back-up. Sportsmans had the ruger ar 556 on sale for 599. It shoots everything well too. I understand both sides about building or buying. You my new friend, have "just entered the twilight zone":s0008:

Have you purchased from this site before? The price doesn't include tax and shipping right away along with a lot of the other websites. Which with those things the price goes up to what it would be if I bought it retail.
I have purchased from this site, shipping is free on firearms. I live in Oregon so there isn't any tax, I forgot about those folks in WA and the taxes.

What was the first model/brand that you purchased? What is your favorite brand?
First was an S&W M&P. Very good quality gun for the money and yes, there is a difference.
Favorite is Noveske. Not a good first gun unless you are rolling in money, in which case it's a great first gun! (Disclaimer: poster does not claim to be rolling in money)

With any new hobby, I don't spend a lot of money until I know I'm going to stick with it for a while. I would buy a decent but not expensive brand for a first rifle (there are lots) and shoot it for a while. If you still like it, upgrade the trigger (my favorite is the Geissele SSA), take a rifle class and shoot it some more. If you still like it, try some new optics and shoot it some more. After all of that, you'll know what you're into. It may be short range, long range, static, tactical, any or all of the above or something else. But whatever it is, there are parts for it, and there are people here who are into it. :)

The complete AR is a 556 with a Anderson lower. The upper came in a Davidson Defense Kit I believe. The bolt carrier group (BCG) and fire control group (FCG) are Palmetto State Armory. It's a great rifle. I'm selling it because I built it to sell and have two 5.56 rifles as it is (a PSA 10.5" and a 16" Colt 6920). This is my 4th build.
You didn't really build it to sell, did you? Because I'm pretty sure that's against the law unless you're a firearms manufacturer with the appropriate FFL. Assuming that you're in the U.S.

Check fisherman's! It's right across the river and has great prices.

You can get great deals online and usually get free shipping.
If you buy online you have to pay the BGC and tax, same as if you bought in Vancouver.

For long guns you can buy in Oregon and save tax and drive it home.

You won't go wrong with the Ruger, it's a solid rifle with good starter options. With a little more money, the Saint looks very nice too. I find the S&W's a little on the basic side :(

You didn't really build it to sell, did you? Because I'm pretty sure that's against the law unless you're a firearms manufacturer with the appropriate FFL. Assuming that you're in the U.S.

I don't believe that is correct. If you are not a manufacturer or making a "business" of selling firearms then it wouldn't be against the law. If you bought an old car and fixed it up to sell, that doesn't make you a car dealer.

I don't believe that is correct. If you are not a manufacturer or making a "business" of selling firearms then it wouldn't be against the law. If you bought an old car and fixed it up to sell, that doesn't make you a car dealer.
If you manufacturer it, yes (80% stuff etc) that would be a problem, but if you buy full parts, you're only assembling, no problem there.

You won't go wrong with the Ruger, it's a solid rifle with good starter options. With a little more money, the Saint looks very nice too. I find the S&W's a little on the basic side :(

Agreed. Pencil non-mil-spec barrel = not for me. No offense. The Ruger and the Saint do offer a bit more bang for the buck. The Saint is soooo new. The Ruger has enough under it's belt to be trusted.

My own experience... when I tired of the early mini-14s was to seek out and buy an early "triangle forearm" pencil-barreled slab-side COLT AR15 which at the time was a couple years old and barely used. I lucked into an original carry-handle scope and mount for it (havent seen those for sale anywhere since)... Decades down the road it still cranks em out, no replacement parts needed during that time. Later I got hold of a used BushMaster (now WINDHAM ARMS, not the current Bushmaster Co). It too has taken the heat and a LOT of Russian steel ammo. It serves well and went on some job-related night patrols and never gave any cause to doubt it's sturdy durability.
Were I looking for a first AR (or giving advice) I would look at used Colts or Bushie/Windom guns. I would stay clear of "parts guns" and hold off building until you've used the AR a bit and have become "in your sleep" familiar with it.
The most recent Colt AR I picked up in Walmart during a "Black Friday" mob scene. Coulda gotten a DPMS or a Smith several hundreds cheaper but am used to the Colt quality and was reluctant to risk "cheaper" (and I had the $$$$ in my pocket) mainly cuz I hang on to every AR Ive bought. Don't overlook places like Walmart;) for new "name brand" guns, altho I was surprised to find a semi-auto marked "M4" there. The guys at the gun counter came across as knowing their stuff, even better than some countermen at "real gunstores".
Then stock up on 30 rd mags asap, min 12-15 per rifle. And enuff ammo to get to know your rifle. "1000 to shoot and 1000 to spare" or more if possible IMO... Granted, ammo isnt as cheap as it used to be.
Another observation- get a RIFLE, not a short barrel carbine, even tho the carbines are lighter in weight. The extra bbl length pays off in longer range accuracy, and more ZIP. Time enuff to get a carbine later, once you know and understand the Stoner rifle.
The AR was designed by Stoner to drive a 55gr bullet at @3200fps/20"bbl and is very effective. The effectiveness of the 5.56 round is all about VELOCITY! Heavier 62-69 gr bullets and faster twists with lower velocities of the short M4 "rifle" are just not the same thing. Not to say they won't kill but some of the stories being told of M4/M855 performance :eek: in the 'Stan arent encouraging.
Anyways, a grain of salt and YMMV.. Best of luck and enjoy!

I would check out the S&W sport.

It is a great little reliable AR and you can beat it to death. Not sure about others but I can run anything through it and it doesn't skip a beat. My more expensive ones I wouldn't run steel rounds through them but my S&W will take them. which makes it cheaper to go out plinking.;)

Ditto with SKrueger, I really like my Sport-15! It's very basic, a slick side, no forward assist or bolt cover. I got it on sale at Cabalas about a year ago, what with sale price, vet's discount, and all, about $485.00.
It has yet to have a malfunction, plenty accurate, excellent fit and finish! The only AR that I own that beats it is a Colt H-BAR!
Cabalas has them on sale periodically, check one out and good luck with your search!

Oh heck! Hillary lost so you don't need one now!!! ;)

Last Edited:
My own experience... when I tired of the early mini-14s was to seek out and buy an early "triangle forearm" pencil-barreled slab-side COLT AR15 which at the time was a couple years old and barely used. I lucked into an original carry-handle scope and mount for it (havent seen those for sale anywhere since)... Decades down the road it still cranks em out, no replacement parts needed during that time. Later I got hold of a used BushMaster (now WINDHAM ARMS, not the current Bushmaster Co). It too has taken the heat and a LOT of Russian steel ammo. It serves well and went on some job-related night patrols and never gave any cause to doubt it's sturdy durability.
Were I looking for a first AR (or giving advice) I would look at used Colts or Bushie/Windom guns. I would stay clear of "parts guns" and hold off building until you've used the AR a bit and have become "in your sleep" familiar with it.
The most recent Colt AR I picked up in Walmart during a "Black Friday" mob scene. Coulda gotten a DPMS or a Smith several hundreds cheaper but am used to the Colt quality and was reluctant to risk "cheaper" (and I had the $$$$ in my pocket) mainly cuz I hang on to every AR Ive bought. Don't overlook places like Walmart;) for new "name brand" guns, altho I was surprised to find a semi-auto marked "M4" there. The guys at the gun counter came across as knowing their stuff, even better than some countermen at "real gunstores".
Then stock up on 30 rd mags asap, min 12-15 per rifle. And enuff ammo to get to know your rifle. "1000 to shoot and 1000 to spare" or more if possible IMO... Granted, ammo isnt as cheap as it used to be.
Another observation- get a RIFLE, not a short barrel carbine, even tho the carbines are lighter in weight. The extra bbl length pays off in longer range accuracy, and more ZIP. Time enuff to get a carbine later, once you know and understand the Stoner rifle.
The AR was designed by Stoner to drive a 55gr bullet at @3200fps/20"bbl and is very effective. The effectiveness of the 5.56 round is all about VELOCITY! Heavier 62-69 gr bullets and faster twists with lower velocities of the short M4 "rifle" are just not the same thing. Not to say they won't kill but some of the stories being told of M4/M855 performance :eek: in the 'Stan arent encouraging.
Anyways, a grain of salt and YMMV.. Best of luck and enjoy!
Thank you! This was very educational!

Mega machine!!! Impeccable quality! If you are going to build, start with the best. Any others I find acceptable. Radical Arms is a smoking deal for complete guns. I choose Windham over Bushmaster as the crew at Windham are the old Bushmaster owners and employees. The only two I avoid are Anderson, and CMMG. If you have a stripper lower and parts, want to build, come on over, we'll put er together for free.

Mega machine!!! Impeccable quality! If you are going to build, start with the best. Any others I find acceptable. Radical Arms is a smoking deal for complete guns. I choose Windham over Bushmaster as the crew at Windham are the old Bushmaster owners and employees. The only two I avoid are Anderson, and CMMG. If you have a stripper lower and parts, want to build, come on over, we'll put er together for free.
What do you mean stripper lower and parts? Where are you guys located and what is the name?

Aero Precision AC-15 midlength from Brownells (cheaper than direct) Tight tolerances, Great quality, IMHO best bang for your buck. I built my first AR then bought one of these on sale for cheaper than I built my first one for. I have experience with Palmetto State Armory, they do have good prices but the quality of Aero is superior at nearly the same price. Aero has WAY better service! PSA has screwed up my order a couple times. Bonus: Aero Precision is a Northwestern brand (Tacoma, WA)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top