JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it's kind of funny that some folks get worked up over the Mini 14. I do like mine. It's reliable, accurate and fun to shoot (mine has the acurizer strut on it, BTW). I know some folks really don't like them, that doesn't bother me. Thankfully there are plenty of guns out there for folks to love and hate on. Now, would I grab my Mini if I had to go to war? No. But then I may not grab my AR either. I may tend more toward my M1A instead, maybe AR308, but then I like the idea of fighting with a .30 cal ;)

Why not the best of both worlds?o_O
An AR 7.62x39 :eek:
7.62x39-sm.jpg

Last Edited:
It's not that ARs are that good, it's just that Mini 14s are that bad. Like really bad. But going down that road and developing your own opinions is half the fun.
New Mini-14s aren't as bad as the old.
See, now why does it have to be either/or? Why not both? It's like the AR or AK discussion - why not have both??

I am one of those seemingly rare (though not that rare) Mini-14 fans. But I'm also an AR fan, and an AK fan.
To be fair, the AK offers something over the AR by having a rifle that is cheaper to shoot and will run 7.62x39 more reliably. Other than that? Flip a coin if you can only have one. I like having more but sometimes you gotta flip a coin. :(
I'll get to test drive one weekend after next. I'm pretty small so it's got to be comfortable for me to shoot, or I've got to have a pretty good idea that I can modify it to make it fit.

Aesthetically ARs don't really appeal to me... something I may just need to get over, but I understand why people like them. Kind of like how I feel about Glocks: don't fit my hand and ugly as all get out, but I get why people like them.
Glocks? Ugly? How dare you! The appropriate term is blocky. :s0002:

Truth be told, the only rifle I have that pleases me aesthetically is my FAL. Would have been AUG too if it was the original one, but its at least as fun. The rest? Meh, I have what I have. If I went for aesthetics alone I'd have spent thousands on just one rifle!

Last Edited:
I ended up trading my Mini14 for a piston AR. It's not that I didn't like the Mini, I just loved the AR more since it's what I grew up with. I enjoyed the Mini and had only a few complaints. The AR just fits me better.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from acquiring a Mini, just give it a test drive first both on the range and on the work bench to see if it's something that suits you.

-Ben

I'm curious as to what kind of accuracy you got with this build? The only Mini-14's I've owned were the early pencil barrel models, and accuracy was what killed it for me with them.

I'm curious as to what kind of accuracy you got with this build? The only Mini-14's I've owned were the early pencil barrel models, and accuracy was what killed it for me with them.

Accuracy or consistency would be hard to gauge. I never had it on a flat range or at a known distance in a controlled environment. I had decent-ish groupings (~2in @ ~25yds), but there were a lot of variables that I wasn't taking into account when I fired it. While cleaning the rifle after one particularly frustrating day I found that the scope mount had come loose which helped soothe my bruised ego.

I get much better groups with my AR than I did with my Mini, but I'm confident that's due to operator error. While I can't vouch for the consistency of the Mini, I certainly can't condemn it either.

Well just catching up on my initial post regarding the Archangel stock for my 583 Mini 14. I was impressed with the ergonomics of that precision stock. However, it was a pain in the a** to get it to fit and even after my friend who is a gun smith did all kinds of filing, it was very tight for the trigger group to go in. I gave up went back to the Hogue Over Mold Stock due to problems feeding the magazines. With the Hogue back in place, no problems. I have a Mo-reaper muzzle brake on it. I really enjoy shooting this gun for it is dependable, easy to strip and as long as I maintain it, it shoots just about anything 223/556 I throw at it. I have a Springfield Saint AR which I love as well so I can say that I have the flexibility to play in both of those leagues!

Well just catching up on my initial post regarding the Archangel stock for my 583 Mini 14. I was impressed with the ergonomics of that precision stock. However, it was a pain in the a** to get it to fit and even after my friend who is a gun smith did all kinds of filing, it was very tight for the trigger group to go in. I gave up went back to the Hogue Over Mold Stock due to problems feeding the magazines. With the Hogue back in place, no problems.

LMAO, I rest my case. Everything ProMag sucks.

Well just catching up on my initial post regarding the Archangel stock for my 583 Mini 14. I was impressed with the ergonomics of that precision stock. However, it was a pain in the a** to get it to fit and even after my friend who is a gun smith did all kinds of filing, it was very tight for the trigger group to go in. I gave up went back to the Hogue Over Mold Stock due to problems feeding the magazines. With the Hogue back in place, no problems. I have a Mo-reaper muzzle brake on it. I really enjoy shooting this gun for it is dependable, easy to strip and as long as I maintain it, it shoots just about anything 223/556 I throw at it. I have a Springfield Saint AR which I love as well so I can say that I have the flexibility to play in both of those leagues!

Thanks for the update.

It's interesting you mentioning your Saint. I was looking into those and it seemed like a pretty decent rifle to get into ARs without diving straight into the deep end and building one.

Don't tempt me! It's crossed my mind! Already got .223/5.56, .308 and 9mm covered....Would like one in .45acp too. Maybe .300BLK for some suppressor fun.

Definitely go with a .300BLK over a 7.62x39 in AR. One is made to work in AK, one is made to work in an AR. The 7.62x39 has an extreme taper, hence the extreme curve on magazines that feed weapons such as the AK, RPK, SKS-M, etc. The mag well of the AR accommodates straighter magazines.

Careful, the Mini 14 haters will pounce on you for expressing interest in those rifles! Trust me, I've been there myself. Still love my Mini 14, by the way ;)

I know many of you might put me in the "Mini-14 Hater" category based on my comments in a previous thread, but the truth is quite the opposite. I love my Mini-14, and doubt I could ever part with it.

The problem with the Mini-14 is the cost compared to an AR-15, which used to be it's greatest advantage.

When a Mini-14 was 1/2 the cost of an AR-15, it was clearly the more economical choice. Now that an AR-15 is 1/2 the cost of a Mini-14, it has become the more economical choice.

What Ruger needs to do is bring back the $400 Mini-14s!
;)

Last Edited:
Not all of us are making that electrician dough, some of us do have to choose :p ;).

Well, we do make good money, but we're a single income family, so we're not really rolling in dough ;) I waited several years to add the Mini-14 to my collection after I bought my first AR. The collection builds, just very slowly.

I know many of you might put me in the "Mini-14 Hater" category based on my comments in a previous thread, but the truth is quite the opposite. I love my Mini-14, and doubt I could ever part with it.

The problem with the Mini-14 is the cost compared to an AR-15, which used to be it's greatest advantage.

When a Mini-14 was 1/2 the cost of an AR-15, it was clearly the more economical choice. Now that an AR-15 is 1/2 the cost of a Mini-14, it has become the more economical choice.

;)

I bought my Mini-14 used, paid around $425 and that included a scope, bipod (which I don't use), an already installed accurizer strut and 5 magazines. I think it was a great deal. The one thing I'd like to do is get it into a wood stock some day, maybe a Boyd's.

Pretty sure I paid $225 for a new stainless 180 series in 1981... and I've shot the crap out of that gun. Put a scope mount on it eventually, the kind that removes rear sight, and had so so accuracy, but it was minute of coyote. It is back to open sights, folding stock and serves as my truck and camp gun.
I recently picked up a newer stainless Ranch 583 series model that shoots well with open sights. I need to get a scope on it and dialed in. Minis are tough guns, great tools, but they are not in the same league as my AR's. Apples and oranges.

I was in the gunshop a few days ago and a customer kept telling another customer how he should buy a mini14 because AR15s jam. He told the guy about 3 times before I had to say something. I have owned both and just hate when guys stand in gunshops spouting crap to newer shoppers. I told the customer they are not bad but watch out for older ones that can't shoot 5.56 and Mr know-it-all got a bit upset but I told him it's important he knows. And the ar15s seldom jam.

I don't think the mini is a bad rifle but it's no AR-15 .

I will agree with MrMillspecer! The Mini 14 583 was my first 223/556 gun purchase as it was of our local pawn shops is also an FFL. These guys get me competitive prices. Again, new to carbines, I really liked the simplicity with the mechanics of this rifle. My AR Saint came next after getting "the addiction". With us Californian's getting screwed so bad with those restrictions, I just can't keep the gun completely featureless when going out to one of our outskirt gun ranges to shoot. Then back it goes into the safe!

Uhmmm, it was marketed as a "Ranch Rifle" not a super benchrest rifle. ;):p

Exactly

;)

I don't hate Mini-14s, just the opposite, it was the first rifle I bought for myself on my 18th birthday, I've owned several, was fully vested in them then some scumbag cut me off at the knees, refused to sell me magazines and had the nerve to called me dishonest for using his product. So yeah, f*** Ruger and everything they make from here to eternity, I don't care if Bill is dead and they "have a different attitude". I use to own many many different Rugers, handguns, rifle and shotguns but not anymore. They pure and simply screwed me over and I don't deal with anyone that screws me over. I still wouldn't buy a new one if they were $400. I know many just don't get that, but I doubt many of them were Ruger owners back in the day when they threw us all under the bus.

BTW, the newer Minis may very well be more accurate than the older ones but they are still not in the same accuracy class as an AR, they're just not. As bbbase said, they were never meant to a precision weaopn and, unlike ARs, you don't see many at Camp Perry.