JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Might as well get an AK if wanting 7.62x39. The AK offers a rifle in 7.62x39 or 5.45x39, whereas the Mini-14 doesn't really offer anything over the AR.

Yes, you should get a Mini-14 if you want one. Yes, you should own both if you want both. But unless you're in a ban state, let's not kid ourselves into thinking the Mini has something over the AR. They are both rifles, they go bang.

Pretty sure I paid $225 for a new stainless 180 series in 1981... and I've shot the crap out of that gun. Put a scope mount on it eventually, the kind that removes rear sight, and had so so accuracy, but it was minute of coyote. It is back to open sights, folding stock and serves as my truck and camp gun.
I recently picked up a newer stainless Ranch 583 series model that shoots well with open sights. I need to get a scope on it and dialed in. Minis are tough guns, great tools, but they are not in the same league as my AR's. Apples and oranges.

My first one was a 182, my dad had a 180, I always liked it for the classy wood handguard.

BTW for those that did not know, Jim Sullivan helped design the Mini-14 with Bill Ruger by scaling down the M14, yep the same guy that scaled down Eugene Stoner's AR-10 to create the AR-15 and Stoner 63 from the Stoner 62, as well as the Ultramax 100 LMG.

Last Edited: