JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just wanted to make this post due to what I have read online about the Ruger LCR.
I was in the market for a new carry piece recently and was looking at many different makes and models. I do a lot of research before I purchase a gun, and many of the reviews I watched and posts I read gave the LCR a great rating, but there were a few issues that almost kept me from making the purchase.

The first issue is of cutting on the frame. I have not experienced any frame cutting at all. In the 300+ rounds I have shot out of it, the frame still looks like new and there is just no damage. I was shooting 158g Winchester 357. I will say, however, this is not a gun I just slam round after round through. Once I have put 25-30 rounds through the LCR, I let it cool off for a bit and shoot something else.

The second part is that recoil is hard and the polymer frame won't hold up. First the frame is not polymer. The frame is aluminum and it is covered with some kind of coating. the grip and finger guard portion is polymer, but I think I have about the same chance as breaking that part of the gun as I do the polymer portion of my Glock 21.

Recoil is sharp but manageable. It kicks straight back and most the force is absorbed in the palm just right under the thumb. Honestly the thing is so accurate for a snubby and so fun to shoot, I really don't notice it much, but after about 30 rounds I want to let the gun and my hand cool down.

The last portion is that the cylinder is too thin and sometimes brass gets stuck.
The cylinder holds up great. I did get brass sticking for about the first 60 rounds.
The first 25 stuck so bad I had to get my car keys out to lodge the brass out. After which I used a little oil and shot some more and the thing broke in nicely. I no longer get sticking issues, though it is still a little tight and requires a good nudge to get the spent brass out now.

Overall, this is a great carry option. I have a tamer grip on it and put it in my front left pocket. I use a De Santis holster and frankly this thing is more comfortable than my Little Kel-Tec .32acp. It's light weight and for the price it is definitely worth looking at.

I have seen no problems with my LCR either. It is a sweet smooth trigger and the accuracy is better than I expected. The front pocket carry has not worked out for me as well however, The front pockets of the jeans I wear seem to be too shallow to allow the nemesis holster to completely allow the grip to be covered. Any recommendation for deeper pocket jeans or are you wearing cargo style pants? Still carrying my P3at instead.

ragermack don't know what to tell you about how to carry. Maybe you just need a new holster. my jeans size is 33X33 and I'm 5 11', so it's not like I have any size advantage. I will say I don't care if it looks like I have something in my pocket as long as that something doesn't look like a gun. Here is a link to the holster I purchased on amazon.

Amazon.com: DESANTIS N38 The Nemesis Pocket Holster Ambidextrous Black J-Frm/LCR/SP101 Nylon N38BJN3Z0: Sports & Outdoors

As far as the as the recalls are concerned, every gun manufacture in the last 3 years has messed up trying to cut costs. I had my CX4 break, a Taurus PT845 fall apart literally in my hand, Ruger had a **** of a time with their 556. I think Ruger is a good company that is revising the errors it has made. That is more than I can say for Taurus and some others. I do love my 2nd generation Taurus millennium pro.

how does one guy's opinions about his one gun "bust" any "myth" stemming from thousands of reports of problems?

i supposed there's nothing wrong with you posting your observations, but you didn't "bust" anything, and problems with Ruger's LC_ line are not anything close to mythical.

Hey Guys
I got to try one out not long ago. I was shooting some standard loads and was supised how nice it pointed and fired, trigger was smooth through out its travel, broke clean. Its so light that you feel like its going to kick hard. It does kick more of a snap but its manageable. After 20 or so rounds I felt my rist starting to complain.All in all i found it to be a nice piece and Im looking to buy one. While target praticing I will need some rist suport and will not use +p ammo. For carry I will load it with +p and its so light you could carry it in a speedo and not even know its there. thanks for the holster info I will check them out.

This came from the Fal Files awhile back. I do remember +P ammo was being used.

tmp_ruger_lcr_kaboom-tm-tfb.jpg

I'm glad its working for you so far Thalvr. Report back after several thousand rounds and I'll probably put more weight to it. 300 or so rounds isn't really much to judge the longevity of a gun. But I'm glad its working for you so far...

I agree 300 rounds does not show that nothing can happen to this firearm. What I did see, however, is the problems that have come up with the LCR and how some people have mistaken them as malfunctions with the gun, such as brass sticking. I do know that Ruger sent out a shipment of guns in 38sp that were not properly heat treated. Also, some people just don't know how to operate the firearm, such as not letting trigger group fully cycle before trying to fire the next round. What I have seen is that my firearm is solid, but some people just don't know how to operate the gun and believe their gunsmith is not telling them the truth. Frankly, these guns are not meant to be put through the 1000 round Glock gun challenge. I'm sorry, but understanding the operation is an important step a lot of people miss.

Most the real problems were with the 38sp. I would say don't even bother with the 38sp version of this firearm, since both the 357 and 38sp are in the same price range and you get more with the 357.

At that, I promise I will post at a 1000 rounds what condition the gun is in.

while i agree that 300 rounds isn't an indication that the Ruger LCR line of handguns is bug-free, getting 1000 rounds through one gun also isn't going to convince me, and shouldnt convince ANY rational man, that the Ruger LCR line of handguns is bug free.

a problem with a line manifests itself in the form of some that work, some that dont, and some that have catastrophic failures. it's NO ONES assertion that ALL Ruger LCRs are defective- only that there's a statistically higher chance of getting a "lemon" than other revolvers on the market.

and same goes for any and all other firearms out there of questionable quality.

Okay, where are you getting your facts? Have you personally owned the gun? what you say is without any reinforcement right now. Kimbers for instance are coming on the market with a high rate of being defective. What are you getting at exactly?

I will say this, putting 1000 rounds shows that I can put a 1000 rounds through my personal LCR. If you can't be convinced one way or another, why even bother? You are wasting your own time.

What I should say is, say something that adds not subtracts. If you feel there is a better offering out their for the money, put it out there. Making positive arguments that progress knowledge is more helpful than trying to undermine the knowledge that people think they know.

how does one guy's opinions about his one gun "bust" any "myth" stemming from thousands of reports of problems?

i supposed there's nothing wrong with you posting your observations, but you didn't "bust" anything, and problems with Ruger's LC_ line are not anything close to mythical.

This.

You have proven that your gun lasts a few hundred rounds, while the hundreds of other people online with problems still have problems.

My observations are just that; they are my own observations. Come at me with facts. You know, recall rates, number of deaths, or Rugers own response. What I see is that all you want to do is placate to negativity, while on the other hand offer no alternative.

In fact, let me give you my gun collection as of right now, so you know where I come from. 1. Beretta Px4 .40S&W (blackhawk in the pants holster), 2. SIG p226 .40 S&W (blackhawk in the pants holster), 3. Taurus Millennium Pro 2nd gen .40S&W (blackhawk in the pants holster),.4 Taurus .44 mag Tracker (uncle mikes belt holster),.5 Glock 21 .45acp (shoulder holster),.6 Kel-Tec PT32 .32acp (Uncle Mikes in the pocket holster), 7. Ruger LCR .357 mag (De santis in the pocket holster),.8 IO Romanian AK-47, 9. Beretta A302 12g shotty 3 inch.