Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

"The rise of the Glock" ......Is it America's gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by No1camaro, Feb 14, 2012.

1. No1camaro

No1camaro Fort Lewis area Active Member

2. NWGunner

NWGunner Salem Active Member

Being a big Glock fan you know I love this thread. And I must agree it is Americas gun. Ugly to some beautiful to others. Always goes boom for some known for kabooms to others... Either way you gotta love these guns. That or hate them... I choose to love them for what they are. Let's hear the hate guys as we all know it's coming but like it or not this pistol is becoming Americas gun!

3. billstaf

billstaf Portland, Oregon Active Member

Not really a Glock fan. Nothing against them. I know they are good shooters, relatively inexpensive, easy to maintain, and lots of people really like them, but since they are imported from Austria, it is kind of hard for me (at least) to consider any Glock as "America's Gun". There are a lot of great American gun manufacturers making really great semis and wheel guns. I think I''ll keep buying from them.

WAYNO and (deleted member) like this.
  4. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

5. branson4020

branson4020 Forest Grove, OR Active Member

Since I'm too cheap to buy the book from Amazon for $12.99, I reserved it at the library last week. There were already 20-some holds on it. I guess there are other people out there who both read and shoot ;)

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Ugly? It's a tool, who cares? My preference is for all steel SA cocked N locked autos but I like the Glock too and since my lady has always had revolvers the transition is easier for her and we now have several 40 cal Glocks and my next full size handgun is going to be a G21 with a long slide 10MM conversion. Hard to beat 16 10MM rounds on tap

The AK is ugly too but it gets the mission done

7. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Kent, WA Member

I guess in the same logic, one can argue that Toyota Camry is the America's Sedan... It was imported to the US, starting in the 80s. It was a very good alternative to the heavy, unreliable, and inefficient US cars. It slowly gained popularity and by the 90s, it took over as the best selling sedan in America (and still is).

Does it look good? To some, yes. Does it get you from point A to point B? Very well. But to me, the look is bland, it lacks driving excitement. I'd rather drive something else.

mat33 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. CZ Fan

CZ Fan Oregon Member

I have nothing against Glocks but I imagine that the 1911 would be "Americas gun"

9. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Kent, WA Member

+1 on 1911s

10. wombat

wombat Kirkland, WA Member

... well certainly, the .45 acp and the 1911 has long been the gun of America's choice.

Now with brands such as Glock and SIG mostly predominant ... when military/LE chooses a Glock over the SIG (obviously I've not included the current Beretta for military), for example, is it the $ price, the sales pitch, or the production numbers that carry the deal?

11. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

There are easily over a million "guns" sold in America monthly. Only a fraction of them are Glocks. Given their crap grips, they are definitely the gun the Grays held captive in Area 51 lust over.

12. wombat

wombat Kirkland, WA Member

... Boats ... to the Grays, 'glock' sounds like 'groke'; which is similar to a word they use to frighten their 'children'.

<LOL>

13. gunnails

gunnails Hillsboro Active Member

You don't get to be Americas gun by showing up late to the party, got to go with some with a long history of being sold and used in the USA, maybe even something real old . The Peace Maker?

300px-1956prime2.jpg

MikeE and (deleted member) like this.
  14. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Both have a lot of historical significance and are the official firearm of a state. The 1911 is Utah's state firearm and the Colt Single Action Army is Arizona's state firearm.

15. Blitzkrieg

The grips can be modified and there are zillions of aftermarket goodies available

16. Blitzkrieg

I must admit I have never had a single action excepting rimfires and I really want a pair of nice custom Peacemakers to go with a 73 Winchester or a Centennial for display and fun. CDNN has some right now for a good price

17. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

I thought it was a good book until the author threw in a few sentences of "Why does anyone need more then 10 rounds?" bull manure.
    I have a copy of the book I won of a gunblog, anyone wanna meet FTF downtown in Portland it's yours for $10 (pm me)

18. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

Colt 1911 is Americas gun or if history is what your after the Colt .45 then.

19. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

20. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Peacemakerr.jpg