JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
“Experience shows that putting firearms and grizzly bears in the same place ends up with dead grizzly bears,” said Steve Cain, senior biologist for Grand Teton National Park.

<broken link removed>

Ya think? LOL! That man must be a rocket scientist! Me, I'd rather be alive and shooting than dead meat for some dumb griz. Wonder if they will let him keep the hide? LOL!

"Ruth’s gun quite possibly saved his life. It also provided fodder for a long-standing debate about whether a gun or bear spray is better in fending off a grizzly attack."

The long standing debate? Where was this long debate held? :s0112:

"Ruth’s gun quite possibly saved his life. It also provided fodder for a long-standing debate about whether a gun or bear spray is better in fending off a grizzly attack."

Bear spray or gun? Duh, that's a difficult question Mr. Trismn. Can I spray the bear after I shoot him, I mean ain't this spray like bear flavoring or something?

I think bears have the right to bear arms.. Afterall, we did steal the name from this species after all? :s0114::s0114:

On a more serious note, bears are well armed with 7 inch claws, lighting fast legs , powerful jaws and teeth, as well as a half of ton of muscle. We humans cannot even outfight a chimp, we need a little help in a life and death scenario. I think the bear-loving hippy guy who got eaten in Alaska would have wished he had a gun the moment he was having his organs torn to pieces in front of his face.

Most gun owners don't seek out a fight with a bear and if a gun goes off its usually a warning shot that scares the bear away in the case of a charge.

Grizzlies are the undisputed bosses of the backcountry in the three parks. They’ve killed 10 people in Glacier and five in Yellowstone in the past century. Those parks average one grizzly attack with injuries a year. Grand Teton has had only a handful of attacks, and no deaths, but it’s only had substantial numbers of grizzlies for the past decade or so.

have dead people than dead bears?

As someone else noted bears are already well armed, and you can't outrun them (35 mph vs approx. 23 mph for the fastest human in running gear) so that leaves being able to protect yourself with a gun.

had bear spray, why didn't she use it if it's so good?

Bear spay can be very effective is you have another person with you to use it on. It should slow the person down enough to keep the bear occupied while you take evasive action.

I think I saw part of it on C-SPAN, when I was flipping through the channels. :D

Smith has evaluated the efficacy of bear spray in reported aggressive and nonagressive encounters in Alaska between 1985 and 2006. He found that bear spray stopped grizzlies in 46 of 50 cases, or 92 percent of the time.

Bear spray stopped charging grizzlies 12 out of 14 times, a success rate of 85 percent. The other two times a grizzly charged, one person was deeply scratched and the other was spared when the grizzly moved off after stopping just a few feet away.

"that bear spray stopped grizzlies in 46 of 50 cases, or 92 percent of the time." And what happened to the other 4 individuals? Bear food? Nope, I'll trust in my 29 packed with flying ashtrays to keep me from ending up as some grizs's dinner.

Smith has evaluated the efficacy of bear spray in reported aggressive and nonagressive encounters in Alaska between 1985 and 2006. He found that bear spray stopped grizzlies in 46 of 50 cases, or 92 percent of the time.

Bear spray stopped charging grizzlies 12 out of 14 times, a success rate of 85 percent. The other two times a grizzly charged, one person was deeply scratched and the other was spared when the grizzly moved off after stopping just a few feet away.

"that bear spray stopped grizzlies in 46 of 50 cases, or 92 percent of the time." And what happened to the other 4 individuals? Bear food? Nope, I'll trust in my 29 packed with flying ashtrays to keep me from ending up as some grizs's dinner.

The model 29 is a good plan. The flying ashtrays, not so much. You would be better off with FMJ or hard cast lead than hollowpoints. Too much fur to expand the hollowpoint and bleed the energy before penetration...

I fail to see the issue with arming bears though... ;) :s0114:

That's my three years in Alaska as a fishing guide talking (interior Alaska, no coastal brownies, thankfully). All the guides I knew, as well as the state troopers I knew preferred hard cast. Personally I carried Federal Hard Cast (if I recall, they were 300 grain). Most of the troopers/rangers I knew had 870's with slugs for bears. You can carry what you like though, no skin off my back...

That's my three years in Alaska as a fishing guide talking (interior Alaska, no coastal brownies, thankfully). All the guides I knew, as well as the state troopers I knew preferred hard cast. Personally I carried Federal Hard Cast (if I recall, they were 300 grain). Most of the troopers/rangers I knew had 870's with slugs for bears. You can carry what you like though, no skin off my back...

Thanks, I'll remember that, appreciate the advice.

Not sure where you live ZeeZee (your location is a bit odd). If you are close enough, I have a partial box of Federal Hard-Casts left from my last stint up there. You are welcome to them if you want to try them...

Not sure where you live ZeeZee (your location is a bit odd). If you are close enough, I have a partial box of Federal Hard-Casts left from my last stint up there. You are welcome to them if you want to try them...

Mountain Bear I'm north of Vancouver, WA a bit but plan on visiting the bend area this summer.
Thank you

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top