JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just bought a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 222Rem and need a scope for it. I had originaly intended to mount a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF on it, but got sidetracked by a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40AO.

The rifle will be used mostly from the bench or other rested positions, but will get carried on occasion, so the few extra ounces the Nikon packs is a non issue. Both are parralax adjusting, both have similar eye relief, similar price and both have similar optic quality.

Is the extra weight and length of the Nikon worth the extra zoom, or will i find the 12x on the Leupold enough for the 222? Will I find a difference in opperating the side vs. front parralax adjustments? Wich would you buy and why? Is there a third choice I'm over looking?

This isn't really a scope vs. scope debate, more along the lines of wich is a better fit for the rifle. It's my first small bore rifle and my first major scope purchase so all help is appreciated.

After using a 24 power scope at the rifle range I just can't be happy with less. I'm going to stop here or I will someday need a scope with 100 power and a 150mm lens that will have to be mounted so far from the business end of the barrel it will require self leveling stabilizing gyroscopes. I guess this is a lot like some advice I once ignored that has cost me a fortune, "don't ever try good tequilla".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top