JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is this it?

snip:
Westerns were popular when The Rifleman premiered, and producers struggled to find gimmicks to distinguish one show from another. The Rifleman's gimmick was a modified Winchester Model 1892 rifle with a trigger mechanism allowing for rapid-fire shots. Despite the anachronism, Connors demonstrated its rapid-fire action during the opening credits as McCain dispatched an unseen villain on North Fork's main street.
The Rifleman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes that is it
on the winchester it has a safety that the lever has to be pressed in by the lever to fire
they modified it by making the safety the trigger
so that when squezed it would release the hammer
look close
YouTube - The Rifleman (Westlich von Santa Fee) - Intro

That clip is just Badass! The look on his face after he does the little spin action is priceless. One interesting thing I saw on a related clip that came after this one was over is that it shows him firing 12 times even though the gun only held 11 rounds. And I did notice that he never touches the trigger. So cool.

A description of the rifle with pics. Riflemans Rifle photos, The Riflemans Rifle
When I was a kid I had a toy Winchester that had a small lever on the trigger guard that would swing out and do basically the same thing. Wish I still had that gun, actually shot plastic bullets.

Wow, there was a lot more to it than I thought! I have a lot more respect for Chuck Connors and the smithing that was involved to pull this off. Great link, thanks.

I watched The Rifleman when it wasn't reruns. When I watch it now, I still get a chill up and down my spine when Chuck reaches into his shirt pocket for more shells and delivers that icy-cold stare into the camera. He really doesn't need those cartridges...that look turns any bad guy into a wimpering milk-sop.

Winchester Model 1892 in 44-40 the reason it held 12 rounds instead of 11 is that blanks have no slug to take up room. Allowing one more cartridge to fit in the mag tube.

IIRC

Anybody notice Chuck was ambidextrous?

Yea most likely he was born left handed then in school taught to be right handed. VERY common back in the day tends to leave a person ambidextrous. This combined with his basket ball would have taught him excellent either hand eye cordination.

I was born left eyed left handed in the First grade the teacher wouldn't have any of that and taught me how to write with my right hand.

As a 15 year old I broke my right thumb and had to have surgery to repair it. In the 6 weeks I was in a cast I wrote (printed which all I do anyway) with my left hand quick enough to take notes in class and stay up with the others.

Took about a week and I was using my left hand quite well.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top