JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a friend who has melted his brain with Effexor. If he misses a couple days he goes into deep, deep depression and thoughts of suicide. I asked him how long his prescription is for, how many pills does he have. He said 30-45 days worth. After that, ie SHTF he'll just off himself.

When I retired from the Army in June, I had about 2 months surplus of my pain meds. Now with all of the VA's screwing around, well, this is the second month in a row they've run me out. Now, I'm not going to do anything drastic, but I do feel rotten and fairly angry. I know I could get the wonderful "medical card", but I don't like the stuff, and that would wreck me as far as firearms ownership goes. If the SHTF, I'll survive, but it seems with all of our technology, these companies could develop some sort of pain relievers that don't have horrid withdrawal effects if you run out.

My teenage son however, went with his mother when he was 8 and we split up. He was a paycheck for her, and the doctors were more than happy to medicate him for ADHD, which of course he did not have, but it turned him into a zombie, which meant she didn't have to do much to deal with him. He came to live with me while he was 12-14 years old, and I got him off of the stuff, but I'm afraid the damage has already been done. He's got no concept of right or wrong, or any social skills. And I think the medication is to blame. Dunno, seems to me that kids have energy, and often times it is mislabelled and treated for ADHD. The doctors are just as much to blame as far as I'm concerned.

Fixed it fer ya.

Yet, keep in mind, we had mass killing well before video games were the buzz. Before video games and TV, we had "imagination", which is just as good as at warping someones psyche.

I'd like to shift responsibility to the individual. Pertaining choices, I'd add "lack of a solid, trusty Moral Compass + the belief his/her existence is over after death".
I am in no way saying he wasn't responsible for his own actions and that the gun was in any way at fault. His mother should have done a little better parenting though. Sounds to me like she knew what he was capable of or at least knew he wasn't normal. She should have had her guns locked up with that little nut living with her.

Insert any tool, chemical, device you want. It's not the fault of the method used, it's the person.

Yes but the AR15 his mother had was the easiest way for him to kill people. Have you seen pictures of that little turd? He didn't look like he would be too hard to overtake, even for a female teacher. I'm not blaming the gun, but there were plenty of indicators that his mother ignored that if taken seriously could have prevented this whole mess from happening.

Nearly everyone in here is missing the point, and I suspect a large portion of those complaining about what was said regarding video games is coming from people in their 20's and early 30's. Those who grew up with video games as a large part of their life.

As someone in their early 30's let me tell you I LOVED video games in my teenage years. I played them at least an hour or two every day and sometimes longer when it was raining or my friends were all busy doing something else that day.

I played Doom, Wolfenstein, Mortal Kombat, Resident Evil etc... many that would be considered "violent," but I didn't grow up to a psycho killer. This is what's called anecdotal evidence. My personal experience is that I played games like these, and yet I grew up "normal." Ok, not normal. I grew up and became an LEO. (now former :)

I still have fond memories of playing video games as a kid. The only time I ever pick up a game these days is when playing with my son, but we play Mario, not Dead Island.

What else did I grow up with? TWO parents. Who were involved in my life. Made sure I got my homework done. Made sure I wasn't out getting high. Didn't put me on pills. They created a family and stuck around to see it through.

My point isn't that kids from divorced homes grow up to be animals who murder children. It's that there's a larger picture here, and many seem to be missing the point because all they see is an attack on the media they love.

Some of these games are truly nothing more than murder sims. The point of Grand Theft Auto is to commit virtual crime. Be it car jacking, drug running or a shooting spree. Are those things that people in their formative years should be thinking about and worse yet, enjoying?

There's a principle in defensive training called visualizing. If you run scenarios over in your head and visualize the outcome, you will be better prepared when it happens for real. Police do this all the time.

Better yet, the police train by standing in front of a huge projection screen with a fake gun and run video scenarios. Deciding when to shoot/ not to shoot.

The brain can't tell the difference between running a sim, and doing it for real. That's why defensive training works.

Again, no one is saying the game MADE you go out and commit real murder. That argument is stupid. It's the same one that anti-gun propaganda is built on. However, it may very well be a contributing factor to some people's psychosis. Especially if your 7 year old is mowing down people in Modern Warfare 12.

There is an answer to this question, and I think it's a very complex one. People have been murdering other people since we discovered you could beat someone to death and steal their fire. There will always be violent criminals out there. Psychopaths are a different animal altogether (don't pardon the pun)

If every time someone throws a potential contributing factor out there we say, "Nope can't be that" then there will never be an answer. The only answer left will be guns. Big, evil, scary easily legislated guns.

It won't do any good, but the anti-gun lobbies don't care. They will have gotten what they want, and the next crazy psycho killer will go back to watching Dexter.

So, which is it?

Guns?
Video Games?
Movies and TV?
Pills?
Divorce?
Mental Healthcare?
Morals?

Maybe a few of those lead into one another and they're part of a bigger picture. Personally, I'd like to see the vehicular death and traffic condition problem solved before we tackle this issue, but that's just my logic side coming out for a bit.

I might be wrong in thinking this but I belive that the NRA doesnt have a whole lot to argue in gun owners defense besides the second amendment, now dont get me wrong with me saying that because I am a FIRM beliver that our rights are all we have left these days but when you are facing a million liberal's who are crying for action from shootings and these people do not look at how history has proven what gun control does, they do not care about there rights because they have never had to stand for the rights people have died to protect and they are raised not to respect them.

The NRA needs a scape goat to help back there case with these unreasonable people and video games are going to be the next on the chopping block, now I play alot of video games myself Call Of Duty mainly but I understand why they are doing it. I dont belive that it is the right thing to do but I kinda understand it. And I will say that I would rather them attack my XBOX than my firearms.

Except for all the "time, place and manner" restrictions on said amendment.

Revmedia speaks the truth. You cant assemble without the proper permit that your authorities have had to approved, before you speak the truth. It gives your keepers time to assemble in a greater force against you. Sound much like the british when they challenge a bunch of farmers to a field match, standing arm in arm with your brothers, bullet for BULL(lets). If you truly think A seperate force than the British won the 'revolutionary war'....... like there ever was a challenge to the british. Do you believe in the Iraqi constitution as an iraqi?.... A constitution that we gave them. Or better yet, a constitution that your handlers have made you hand to them the same as they handed to you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top