JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've heard it called rat shot or snake shot. Disperse round for birds if it were. But do they not get made this way anymore? I have some in CCI's shot shell but seems a bit iffy. Would it be worth hand loading some really small shot?

220px-WinRat.jpeg

Yep Federal still makes it. I have used it for years for rats/ mice etc. when I was much younger we used it on the dairy for the war on rats.

100_3149.JPG

but in my experience it's not effective past 5-6 feet or so.
Maybe a foot or so more depending on the rodent.

I remember many years ago shooting sparrows in a feed barn on the rafters with the basic shot rounds and it dropped 'em immediately. We called it the 'Feed barn gun club' and it brought out many to help eliminate the sparrows!

Oh yes, rat shooting. I'll skip the story unless somebody wants to hear it, but I set up a Remington Nylon 66 with a flashlight for night hunting rats.I thought this was the bomb until I purchased a Remington Speedmaster that cycled .22 shorts. Many Saturday nights with my brother killing rats numbering into the hundreds. He used night vision goggles and I used the flashlight to silhouette the guns sights. More effective than birdshot and rarely shot holes in the barns.

Oh yes, rat shooting. I'll skip the story unless somebody wants to hear it, but I set up a Remington Nylon 66 with a flashlight for night hunting rats.I thought this was the bomb until I purchased a Remington Speedmaster that cycled .22 shorts. Many Saturday nights with my brother killing rats numbering into the hundreds. He used night vision goggles and I used the flashlight to silhouette the guns sights. More effective than birdshot and rarely shot holes in the barns.
I like those stories. I never grew up on guns so I have fishing memories. My brother had those air soft guns in our teens so I'm kinda late to the gun party but better late than never.

I've had to use these a few times. Last time was to get a flicker that was pounding on my cedar siding. Nothing else would work. I left my house for about an hour and when I got back, there was a hole in my siding about four inches in diameter. The flicker had to go. I fired when it was under the eaves, no problem with damage to the building, shot size too small but it took out the flicker.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top