JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This one is even nastier. During Christmas holiday a fellas Rem 700 fired, he says without the trigger being pulled, went through a widow and shot three teens killing one as they were walking towards a car. Think he was playing sniper with a rifle that he failed to clear and touched the trigger? If it went through a wall first I could see it being an accident but what are the odds of hitting three people in the open?

Strange that the case is being dredged up now. Holders civil rights unit is looking into it. Obama's speech will say 'If I had a third daughter she would look just like Jasmine.'

He could have been charged with negligent homicide but he says it's Remingtons fault. When I hear about these cases I always wonder if the trigger pull has been lightened.

I have two minds here. I don't like the politicizing of it but his story doesn't smell right. I'm sure the rifle is being tested but are these M700 safety malfunctions freak events that might never happen again even under testing?.

Coming to a television set near you.
As preparations begin for the trial of former neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman, MoveOn.org is ready to stir racial tensions on behalf of another victim in a different swing state.

The liberal advocacy group on Saturday morning sent out a petition and plea for donations to its members, urging "Justice for Jasmine," a black North Carolina teen apparently shot accidentally by a white man last year.

In a letter to MoveOn.org members, Treka McMillian, Jasmine Thar's godmother, alleged that Thar's shooter, a "23-year-old Caucasian male," was never brought to justice for the death of the "16-year-old African American" because investigators simply did not care.

"The 23-year-old Caucasian male who fired the fatal shot from the house across the street was taken in for questioning, but he has not been charged with a crime of any kind," she wrote to members, claiming the man also had a Confederate flag and Nazi literature in his house.

"The message being sent is that you can shoot and kill someone like Jasmine and get away with it by simply claiming it was an accident," she wrote. "That can't be the world we live in."

According to The Charlotte Observer, the bullet came from inside the home of James Anthony Blackwell, who told police his Remington Model 700 fired without him touching the trigger. The Remington Model 700 has been the subject of more than 75 lawsuits, which have alleged the model is subject to discharge without the trigger being pulled.

The Observer also reported that a witness saw Blackwell run from his bungalow shouting "No! No! No!" as he fell to his knees at the time of the shooting.

The USA Today reported in 2010 that the Remington Arms Company has twice considered recalling the rifle due to the firing flaw, which has been linked to at least 24 deaths and over 100 injuries.

Remington contends that the rifle is "safe, trusted and reliable."

The Chadbourn, NC police department brought Blackwell in for questioning but did not arrest him.

Thar's mother on Friday held a press conference in uptown Charlotte, N.C. (the site of the 2012 Democratic National Convention) with community activists to urge prosecutors to take action against Blackwell, saying she believes the shooting was racially motivated, The Charlotte Observer reported.

The conference did not shy away from comparisons to the Trayvon Martin case in Sanford, Fla.

"It's like déjà vu," activist John Barnett said at the press conference, comparing the Thar investigation to the Martin case. "It's happening all over again."

MoveOn.org's petition so far has 31,345 signatures, with a goal of 40,000. It reads:

"We demand justice for Jasmine Thar who was shot and killed. Three months after the shooting we still have no answers. We urge you to sign this petition to demand a lawful, thorough, and unprejudiced investigation from the SBI and sound judicial decisions from Columbus County District Attorney Jon David and ADA Chris Gentry."

Treka McMillian and Jah-mesha McMillian were also hurt by the single bullet.

According to the Observer, the FBI's civil rights unit is now looking into the case.

Read more: MoveOn petition plays race card with another gunshot tragedy in swing state | The Daily Caller

← The Coming Manufactured War On Students
Teen Accidentally Shot In NC; Mother Files Suit Claiming Racial Motivations
Posted on April 21, 2012
Trayvon Martin replay in NC

Where is Al Sharpton? Jesse Jackson? Oh wait, nevermind...Obama needs Florida more than NC.

Four months ago, 16 year-old Jasmine Thar was fatally shot. Two others with Thar were also hit by the bullet from Anthony Blackwell's Remington rifle. Blackwell has not been charged yet, which prompted Jasmine Thar's mother to call the FBI. Blackwell is white while all three of the other victims are black. Blackwell claims the gun went off accidentally as he took it out of its case.

From BND.com:

"The bullet came from inside a bungalow across the street in a quiet neighborhood in this town of 2,200 people about 140 miles east of Charlotte.

One witness said James Anthony Blackwell, 23, burst from the bungalow about 100 feet away and began shouting "No! No! No!" as he fell to his knees.

When Chadbourn Police Officer Scott Rockwell arrived minutes later, Blackwell told the officer he had taken a Remington Model 700 rifle from a case and it fired without him pulling the trigger. The officer found the rifle 4 feet from a window with a broken pane, the report said.

Officer Rockwell handcuffed Blackwell and took him to the police station, but he was not arrested and was later released."

The family is clearly not accepting this as accidental, despite the fact that model Blackwell owns has a history of firing without touching the trigger:

"He said it was an accident and that's what they believed," said Carletta McNeil, Jasmine's mother. "They're sending the message that you can shoot someone and walk away and say it's an accident. That can't be the world we live in."

Teen Accidentally Shot In NC; Mother Files Suit Claiming Racial Motivations | Lady Liberty 1885

Bullet from neighbors gun rips through home hits 3 people, kills teen
Posted: Dec 23, 2011 11:05 AM PST Updated: Jan 23, 2012 7:26 PM PST

CHADBOURN, NC (WECT) - Investigators say a teenage girl is dead after a shooting in Chadbourn Friday morning. Two other people were struck by the same bullet.

An initial investigation shows the incident may have been an accident, according to Police Chief Steven Shaw, as the result of someone attempting to clean a rifle. However, Shaw says the investigation will continue.

According to police, shots were fired from 313 Third Avenue into 312 Third Avenue around 11 a.m. Friday. The houses are right across the street from each other.

Investigators say, Jasmine Thar a 16-year old girl from Charlotte died. The other 16-year old Jahmesha McMillian is in critical condition, while Jahmesha's aunt Traeka McMillian 42 suffered the fewest injuries.

Sources told WBTV News that Thar was a student of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. She attended South Mecklenburg High School before transferring to Ardrey Kell this school year.

Neighbor's tell us, the three were loading up a car getting ready to go to Myrtle Beach.

Shaw says one bullet struck all three people. It's the first time Shaw has heard anything like this happening in Chadbourn.
Charlotte teen girl dies in freak shooting in eastern NC - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

There is a semi-known issue with the pre-"X mark pro" trigger mechanism on Rem 700s, which would allow the weapon to go off when the safety was disengaged.

You do not need to touch the trigger, and barely need to touch the gun.

MSNBC covered this with "Reminton Under Fire". While they certainly are in attack mode, they had facts to draw from. Included in their support:

A) video of separate military and LE groups duplicating the errors.
B) documents from military, LE, and even Remington's records, discussing the issue
C) testimonials from victims and non-victims who have witnessed the errors, first hand
D) the inventor of the rifle, saying that he brought up the issue while the first 200 rifles were in testing... and copies of documents in which he not only mentioned it, but also sketched a revision to the trigger mechanism.

The trigger revision that he sketched IS the X Mark Pro mechanism. He designed it before the 700 went into mass production-- more than 40 years before they opted to use it.

Edited to add:

CSNBC, not MSNBC.

Also: Remington's response has been that the discharges could not/have not been replicated in 'properly maintained' or 'unaltered' rifles.

My personal belief:

The issue has *never* come up with the X Mark Pro versions, so that seems to be the way to go.

Reminds me of another "killing" from years ago...I was a kid, (this was in the 50's, so not this was not a Rem 700) and our family was visiting another family who were dary farmers. Their son who was a bit older then I was, decided to demonstrate for me how he was going to kill this big bull Elk. He took his rifle and aimed at his dad's prized herd bull,,,squeezed the trigger...and yep, killed that herd bull with one shot.

Dumb, but I am also sure not the first one to do so. There is a reason ALL of my weapons are ALWAYS loaded...then there never is any doubt...yep, their loaded, treat them as such.

You always have to keep in mind...don't point a weapon at ANYTHING you are not prepared to shoot...especially humans. That is one of the reasons using you rifle scope as binoculars is never a good idea.

What was he doing with a loaded Rem 700 in his home in the first place...and with a round chambered??

Whats wrong with that? The majority of my firearms are loaded (actually) in my home. So?

ANY gun is always loaded, even it if it laying in pieces on my bench being repaired or cleaned. Just like hermannr said ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded.

You always have to keep in mind...don't point a weapon at ANYTHING you are not prepared to shoot...especially humans. That is one of the reasons using you rifle scope as binoculars is never a good idea.

There is a law enforcement joke about having more than flashlight available, so that there are no dilated pupils when shining into suspect's face :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top