JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Like Dylan* said man, The Times They are A'Changin' :s0136:

Remember the video of the two female officers on the guys porch trying to get him to come out so they could arrest him and they got caught on the guys Ring camera discussing how they had no cause to arrest him but planed on doing it anyway? The thing is that not everyone got the memo that there are cameras everywhere and they are still acting like they have been used to. OH! And than there was the disabled vet that the cops shot when he came out of his mobile home holding their robot, they tried to lie about what happened and went full Surprised Pikachu Face when they realized that he had cameras inside his house

So basically that, bad LEO's doing bad things because they know they have done them before and gotten away with it.

And you have to love this one star review of Serpico :s0112::s0112:
I love Al Pacino in other movies but I did not enjoy this at all
True as it may be it is not the entertainment i want and it just went On and On and on
If you wanted to relax and get a lift this is not the movie to watch
Very sad end

Not Dylan Thomas, Whoever he was . .
The North Carolina Sheriff SWAT officers were congratulating for a good shoot until they saw the camera of the mobile home in the corner and then they shut up.

Not really, it was as I posted before related to many posts some of which got removed and some I can't see any more because apparently blocking me is better than hearing opinions that differ from theirs, but ranking them on a level of egregiousness scale from 1 to 10 I was really responding to the ones in the 7-10 range and yours was more like a 3 or 4 which is to say I may not have 100% agreed with your point but there was still plenty of room for productive conversation. Also you said not to quote you so I was respecting that you only wanted to express your opinion but did not particularly want to engage in conversation or debate on it

:s0090:
You agree with me? :s0092: That isn't my opinion, or "View, on the subject. It's a fact. Abused/beat, harassed animals that have been under over stressed will not have the same demeanor as animals that live a normal life.

Sounds like a big fizzle in Portland:

Can't play the race card. The cops and the Police Chief are black, as is the County Sheriff and the two deputies that later showed up.

In addition, the case is being handled publicly and responsibly and there is no division between political sides as this appears by all evidence to be wrongdoing by the officers.

Protesting is pointless when you are already getting what you want, sp only the recreational/serial protesters show up.

Plus it's cold and rainy. Most local protests happen during good weather and rarely in the winter.

Sounds like a big fizzle in Portland:

Until tonight…. Perhaps all the appropriate antagonists were not present for a real "Portland Protest"…

Can't play the race card. The cops and the Police Chief are black, as is the County Sheriff and the two deputies that later showed up.

In addition, the case is being handled publicly and responsibly and there is no division between political sides as this appears by all evidence to be wrongdoing by the officers.

Protesting is pointless when you are already getting what you want, sp only the recreational/serial protesters show up.

Plus it's cold and rainy. Most local protests happen during good weather and rarely in the winter.
I heard yesterday that "the only reason conservatives aren't defending the cops is because they're black". :( Some people just have to try to make political hay no matter what.

Anyhow, it is getting better, and cameras are a big part of that. Even back 35 years ago, a neighbor came over for moral support, and filmed some police interaction with his big, heavy VHS camera. That footage caught a deputy in an outright lie on the witness stand in my dad's trial, one of the reasons the jury took about 30 seconds to deliver a "not guilty" verdict.

I hope I haven't cluttered up the thread too much with my story. It's not the same, since this latest episode is being handled the way it should be. It's terrible that the victim died, but there's no chance of a coverup here.

Abuse of authority and coverups have been going on since the beginnings of civilization. Most people don't think about it much unless it happens to them.

The video with Dan Bongino in post #120 is spot on. It addresses many of the issues discussed here, and gives the perspective of professional training and explains much of how (but not why) this incident went off the rails. I believe it almost touched an important point, and one should review it in preparation for reading my further comments.

Cases like this, including Rodney King and the Ahmaud Arbery case in Georgia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Ahmaud_Arbery

have a factor involved that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: pack mentality.

Pack mentality is the process where a group of individuals submerge their individual status and go with the flow of what the group is doing, without making decisions based on their individual thoughts. This is a very powerful force. It is easy to submit to, and very hard to resist.

In the Abery case, one of the murderers literally came off his porch and joined the action when he saw two men pursuing Abery running down the street!

In the case at hand, the video, and especially the comments of the officers, indicate that there was a "group think" going on. This is a major indicator of the pack mentality.

Pack mentality subverts training, morals, and critical thinking. It replaces them with being caught up with what the "pack" is doing. This is why another name for the phenomenon is "mob mentality". It is a breakdown of social order.

Unfortunately, the popular attack on law enforcement is resulting in "good" officers leaving (or moving to more stable places), retiring, or just quitting Law Enforcement. Because of the diminished image given Law Enforcement the lost officers are being replaced by inexperienced, and perhaps less well-trained, personnel. This is likely to lead to a downward spiral in LE performance, and more incidents like this.

One has to wonder why this has not been brought up in the mainstream Media yet. Perhaps they don't want it to be examined, since it would give credence to some of the conspiracy theories that claim that a decline in quality of local LE is intended to justify the nationalization of LE?

My final opinion on this issue. I support LE, but that support is not absolute. For quite some time now, LE all over the country are experiencing bad reputations across the board. Maybe not unfairly.

All of us know there are bad officers in every department. That's the visible problem. Deeper into that is the "blue wall of silence" that is presented every time there is misconduct.

Public opinion and trust in LE is apparently at an all time low. They are at least partially responsible for that bad public image.

Good officers, and there are many and I hope those good officers stay safe and continue doing the good job. These good guys need to stand up and point out bad officers, stop protecting them, get them off the force. And do it publicly.

Let the public see that they are policing their own instead of putting up a wall of silence and secrecy. Prosecute the criminal actions of sworn officers the same as the general public at large.

Qualified immunity is used far to often to excuse this kind of behavior. Officers are not above the laws they are paid to enforce. Neither are politicians, but that's a whole other thread.

There are good people out here. Not everyone is a murdering scum intent on killing every badge they see. But, you never know which one you're going to get.

The really scary part is there are bad officers out there that are looking for opportunities to abuse their authority. It happens and it can't be denied. We don't know which officer we are going to get either.

Police departments have far more power to change public opinion than they use. I believe the current tide of public opinion can be turned. But it has to come from the LEO community as a whole.

"We are not the enemy" applies to both sides of that badge.

Tyre Nichols' mother recently made a GoFundMe which has raised over $700,000 in 36 hours.
#GhettoLottery. She waited until the police video was released for the maximum amount of grift, probably at the advice of Ben Crump. He died on January 10th, 2023.

Last Edited:
RE : Post #131 Qualified Immunity

Qualified Immunity is suppose to only work for the officer(s) when they are doing their job (without intentionally/knowingly acting to deprive someone of their Constitutional Rights). And so......many LEOs have faced the music, when they had acted, "outside of the bounds".

BUT, But, but.......
Has anyone noticed that.......
Politicians also use it as their "excuse/cover", when they intentionally/knowingly pass Un-Constitutional Laws?

NO....they would never do that.

Rrrrright.....
Because, that would be against the LAW.

Hummmm.......
Do you know of......
Any past (or any recent Gun Laws) that fits into that category?

Aloha, Mark

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you comment about film and literature for the last 100 years, but I'm not sure I would have tied it to Alexx1401's comments. Maybe other posts were more on the mark, but I find this thread somewhat depressing and don't read all of them to the end.
I think what @VinnieBoomBah was trying to say in this post was that bad cops have been around for quite a long while, and that their bad superiors have been shielding those bad cops from prosecution for their bad acts for a long while. Regarding his statement that it might be considered "woke" to prosecute these bad actors now is only new/"woke" in that those bad cops skated in the past when they never should have, and they're not getting away with doing it as much now as they did in the past. Vinnie, if that's not what you were trying to say, then please accept my sincere apology for mischaracterizing your intention.
Nice tip on logging out if someone blocks you! I don't know if anyone has me blocked, but if the post numbers start to have gaps, I'll log out and find out why. 🤪
That only works as long as the blocked/missing posts are not in The Den. Posts in that forum are "reserved viewing" for paid members (read: paid memberships with qualifying time-on-board and minimum post counts) and will not appear to the general membership of the board, nor to the public-at-large, and so will be unreadable even to paid membership holders when they are logged off. To the site, you'd appear as just another random Joe Schmoe from the public-at-large.

Just an FYI, since this thread is not in The Den, that is why you can see posts from ignored/ignoring users when logged out.

Last Edited:
I think what @VinnieBoomBah was trying to say was that bad cops have been around quite a long while, and that bad superiors in departments have been shielding those bad cops from prosecution, such that the new "wokeness" of prosecuting them is only new in that the bad cops skated in the past where they should not have, and aren't doing that so much now as in the past. If that's not what Vinnie was trying to say, then I apologize to him for misunderstanding his post.
No need to apologies, that is pretty spot on :s0090:

Id also like to know how the system covers it up when theyve been charged with murder and we have brutality laws and other laws against police corruption?
I am "guessing" here what he was trying to get at is sadly there were times those with a badge acted like criminals and then lied? Not sure since his posts are so damn vague its hard to tell what they are trying to say.
Police Departments being staffed by humans do end up with bad ones at times. Some departments have been found to be really bad for this in past times. Have not seen anyone here pretending this is not the case so again whatever point he was trying to make escapes me. Being VERY pro Cop I have also LONG been VERY pro punishing any Cop who blatantly acts like a criminal. Those bad ones make the job many fold harder for the rest and cost the tax payers a ton of money. One great thing about camera's everywhere is people who act like these fools did are often dealt with harshly. I am all for that. Send a message to others who took that job for the wrong reasons to maybe think about a new line of work.
For the "we hate all cops" crowd, who scream to get rid of them? They are finding out a hard lesson in be careful what you ask for. Many big cities now are seeing first hand what happens when you tell the scum they are free to do as they please. The people screaming for no Cops are soon screaming where are the Cops. They are getting just what they begged for. They made their bed, they can lie in it.

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you comment about film and literature for the last 100 years, but I'm not sure I would have tied it to Alexx1401's comments. Maybe other posts were more on the mark, but I find this thread somewhat depressing and don't read all of them to the end.

Nice tip on logging out if someone blocks you! I don't know if anyone has me blocked, but if the post numbers start to have gaps, I'll log out and find out why. 🤪
It can be fun at times. Now and then when I see gaps in a thread I have logged out to see what was said by someone who does not want to see me. Hey if it makes their life better to not see me? Works for me :s0140:

I heard yesterday that "the only reason conservatives aren't defending the cops is because they're black". :( Some people just have to try to make political hay no matter what.
I noticed that too. Many of the places who were wetting their pants when this news first hit were desperately trying to find some way to stir up race hate even after they found out all the cops were the same race. They want to again stand in front of a city on fire and say its peaceful protests. Then they wonder why almost no one believes them? :confused:

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads