JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Washington Standard / January 27, 2020

"The Standoff At Malheur National Wildlife Refuge
Indeed, the occupation was largely uneventful, save for the death of LaVoy Finicum. On January 26th, Finicum left the refuge with other leaders and supporters of the occupation in a two-truck convoy. It was here that federal authorities attempted to arrest him for the first time using a traffic stop. Ammon Bundy and Brian Cavalier were peacefully arrested at this time. "

" Why Does The Oregon Standoff Matter?
The standoff in Oregon matters for two main reasons: First, it is yet another example of how an armed population can sway the hand of government. Remember that the Hammonds eventually were pardoned. But more than this, it provides a lesson in how not to go about resistance. "

reference:
if you have some other suggested search terms to find all the related posts, please share those too. Thanks,

I understand Lavoy Finicum's death. He didn't listen to police, he reached into his jacket anyway, and they shot him dead.

What the rest of them did leading up to that shooting was unfortunate. I believe they had some good points.

Last Edited:
The important thing to note out of all that is the BLM effort to force the Hammonds into selling their land. Ostensibly because we are short on uranium, thanx Hillary, and there is some in the ground there.

I understand Lavoy Finicum's death. He didn't listen to police, he reached into his jacket anyway, and they shot him dead.

What the rest of them did leading up to that shooting was unfortunate. I believe they had some good points.
If he was reaching for a gun it was because the FBI and OSP were already shooting at him when he had his hands up. It's notable that nobody was shouting the standard LEO mantra, "Get on the ground!"

No, this was an assassination ordered by Gov. Brown and the Whitehouse.

What if, everyone ignored the take over of the public building that was not in use?

I'm thinking a whole lot of nothing but....

Guess we will never know for sure.

If the answer was nothing, then who really killed him?

If he was reaching for a gun it was because the FBI and OSP were already shooting at him when he had his hands up. It's notable that nobody was shouting the standard LEO mantra, "Get on the ground!"

No, this was an assassination ordered by Gov. Brown and the Whitehouse.

In this video from inside the truck driven by LaVoy Finicum on the day of his shooting (Warning: Graphic) you can clearly hear the officers shouting at Mr. Finicum to "get on the ground" after he exits the vehicle and moments before he is fatally shot (timestamp: 5:41). You are correct that there had already been shots fired at the vehicle, and I assume these shots were due to Mr. Finicum nearly hitting an officer with his truck while trying to avoid a road-block as seen in this aerial footage of the chase and shooting.

I think that the shots fired at the truck after it had stopped were likely unnecessary/unjustified, but the actual shooting of Mr. Finicum seems more clear cut: He was reaching into his jacket just before he was shot, while not complying with commands to lay on the ground.

The aerial footage also shows Finicum fleeing after being shot at during the initial stop, and the officer he "nearly hit" actually jumped in front of his truck.

I wasn't unaware was unaware *edit* of this, so I looked up some extended footage and found this video which shows the initial stop. It appears from the video that the officer may have opened fire (I didn't hear gunshots on the video, but the passengers remarked on being shot at) when Mr. Finicum fled from the traffic stop and not before (timestamp 4:21). I don't know if the shots were meant to kill the occupants of the vehicle or an attempt to disable the vehicle itself. I suppose that's something only the officers on the scene would know.

As for the officer jumping in front of his truck (if that was the officer's intent), I'll say that probably wasn't the smartest move considering he put himself at great risk of death by doing so, but his action appears to have had the desired effect of stopping Mr. Finicum's vehicle which I assume was the point of the road-block the officers had set up.

Last Edited:
What I never heard was answers to the questions about two small caliber bullet holes put into the truck by the FBI before the road block. A truck that held minors. That likely played into his mind. If he'd had given up at the road block he "probably' would have been fine. But I agree with the statements that he was seen reaching inside of his waistband when he had been ordered to stop. Like it or not, he pretty much committed "suicide by cop". I think that if he was intent on causing harm, he would have pulled a weapon upon exiting the vehicle.

Last Edited:

The FBI certainly wouldn't have started it right?

The FBI certainly wouldn't have started it right?

No, we all know that the FBI is above reproach. /s

A little experiment folks here can try.

For whatever reason, speeding or DUI checkpoint, the next time you have a road encounter with a police officer.

Don't pull over or stop. Speed up and try to avoid them.

When you do stop.

Immediately get out of the car.

Haphazardly walk around shouting and reach for your cellphone.

Report back here with findings.

Thanks!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews