JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A neighbor's son , who I taught in high school , joined the Marines a few years ago.
After boot Camp and a tour over in Afghanistan he came home on leave and in the course of his visit I learned that he nor any of his fellow Marines were issued a Kabar or any knife for that matter....
They could however , carry a field knife , while he was asking my advice on a knife....
I gave him a "Karbar" of mine...A WWII Issued Robson made "Kabar" with a Navy MKII scabbard.
Problem solved....:D
Andy
Andy;

You're a Good Man Charlie Brown!!!

Mike

I worn a Ka-Bar on my Fatigue Pants Belt so it was with me whenever I had my Pants on for my entire your in SE Asia. It served me well. It seems that Ka-Bar is now making one with a bit more Blade that is also available with Serrations.

I have never been a Recon Marine, Green Beret, or any other "operator" type occupation. That said we have done a lot of camping and my fave among popularly priced Feldmessers is the Glock M81. Ugly, sturdy, takes and holds a good edge, useful saw on the back of the blade - What's not to love?
2nd fave: Camillus copy of a Ka-Bar. Bought it for about $12 back in 1976. Grind lines look like it was made after lunch on Friday, but it still works just fine. Best $12 I ever spent.

Last Edited:
The Benchmade Arvensis is a pretty good example of "general purpose" knife. With the false-edge sharpened up it would be an excellent "fighting knife".
1598286632205.png

So there I was...In the very first unit I was in while in the Army....
We had a bantam size Sergeant Major who loved to run up to troopers who were carrying a knife and ask as only a very worldly Sergeant Major with their "unique" language skills , can ask ...
"DO YOU HAVE A PLACE SETTING TO GO WITH THAT KNIFE...?"

Me being Private SmartAzz First Class at the time...gave this situation some thought....

So the next time we were qualifying with our rifles , I wore my Blackjack model 5 , proudly on my hip...
We march on in...and there he was , in all his glory our Sergeant Major...
I turn ever so slightly so my knife is in his line of sight...

Now keep in mind that I was "Brand new " to the Army...fresh from Basic , Airborne and Ranger school...
A new minted PFC with an attitude that only a cocky young Airborne Ranger can have....

So up runs our Sergeant Major....right in front of me he stops ....eyes dead on my chest 'cause that about how tall he was...
Says he to me , loudly and with words that I dare not utter here on the forum...
"DO YOU HAVE A PLACE SETTING FOR THAT KNIFE PFC_____?"

Rapidly assuming the text book position of Parade Rest...I reply :
"Yes Sergeant Major , Oddly enough I do"

At this moment every eye in the Company is on our little drama that is being played out and the Medics are about to called , 'cause PFC____Went off script....

I reach into my thigh cargo pocket of my BDU's and pull out a :
Red and white checked hankerchief...
A spoon and fork "borrowed" from the chow hall...
And a paper plate....

I then lay out my place setting with my knife and all , on the hood of a HumVee...
At this moment one could literally hear the pin drop , from the figurative grenade I just produced...

The Sergeant Major looks at my "place setting" ...looks at me...back to the place setting , fists clenched , face a reddish purple...veins I didn't even know existed popping and throbbing...beating out a rhythm , like John Bonham on the drums...

Well this is it ...I am dead , I thought...

Then our Sergeant Major about busts a gut laughing...after awhile he says to me :
"I've been pulling that stunt for 30 years and you are the only one with balls enough to call me on it."
I did get some flack for pulling my stunt...but since every time I saw the Sergeant Major , he would re-tell the tale , again as only a Sergeant Major can ...it was well worth it.

That was a fun day ....:D
Andy

The following is a true story from when I was a newly minted PFC, and one of only less than 5-6 accounts I will EVER share pertaining to my entire 8yr tour of duty, because at this stage of life I'm in I prefer to laugh instead (as most of you already know).

Reminds me of the time Gen. John Gavin (SOUTHCOM CINC) was standing in our squad's hooch (in a country that shall remain nameless) conducting an inspection and then found out we were the on duty RDF element for our AO.... he said, "let me see you do your stuff as if you just got the alert".....

My squad leader (eyes wide as dinner plates) said, "right now, sir?" "yes, SSG Shinskie show me what you got!"

(What the General DIDN'T know was that we conducted random practice drills at all hours for RDF responses CONSTANTLY)

SSG Shinskie BELLOWS, "MOVE, MOVE, MOVE!! "

BOOM!!
Instantly (and I do mean instantly) from ram-rod straight parade rest, there were M16's, M60's, LBE's with (live) ammo pouches, belts of (live) ammo, body armor, "steel" pots, and "flak" jackets" all simultaneously flying out of our wall lockers.... (Gen. Gavin stood there mouth agape and bug-eyed!) then it was a-holes and elbows flying out the screen door... I had my M60 at port arms and was the first one out, kicking the door nearly off the hinges just as a full-bird Colonel was walking up the steps into our hooch...

I bellowed, MAKE A HOLE!!!" and proceeded to drive my left shoulder into his chest and then buttstroked him with my M60 stock, shucking him off to my left-side and busting him through the wooden handrail and clean off the porch (that was 4' off the ground) flat onto his back as I didn't even touch the stairs and kept running towards our gun-jeeps... the entire spectacle from start to finish was a beautiful sight to behold... that poor bastige!

Gen. Gavin was shocked, amazed, and laughing his arse off after the dust settled... I'm just glad my name tape was covered by battle-rattle, Colonels have long memories.

;)

Last Edited:
I have never been a Recon Marine, Green Beret, or any other "operator" type occupation. That said we have done a lot of camping and my fave among popularly priced Feldmessers is the Glock M81. Ugly, sturdy, takes and hold a good edge, useful saw on the back of the blade - What's not to love?
2nd fave: Camillus copy of a Ka-Bar. Bought it for about $12 back in 1976. Grind lines look like it was made after lunch on Friday, but it still works just fine. Best $12 I ever spent.
Ditto on the Camillus "copy" of the KaBar.. Ive used both over the years and both are practical, tough knives. Camillus, alas, has gone out of business in the US and is made in some foreign country now. KaBar offers a wide selection of US-made knives, and worth checking out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top