JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The one true way I have seen to permanently change someone's mind about guns is to demystify them. Seems obvious, right? Please, indulge me for a moment.

We all know people who have been programmed their entire lives by unrealistic, sensationalized, Hollywood imagery are every bit as programmed as any Bolshevik, NAZI or Communist ever was. It's why they speak so passionately about guns being unsafe.
How can we change this?

The biggest impact I have ever seen on programmed people -that yielded the most powerful results- was inviting these folks to the range.

In order to change someone's mindset, you must first understand it. Understand that the midset is artificially created and the only thing that will ever change the perceptions is to bring them to reality. Real life experiences always trump what someone has been taught to believe. Reality cannot be easily denied.

To many people, guns are the stuff of action movies. They are programmed to believe a certain way because they have been taught (programmed) by decades of Hollywood imagery that guns are fully automatic killing machines that shoot fireballs out the barrel and are typically wielded by Cuban drug dealers in shootouts with easy access to grenade launchers. Nobody needs a gun like that. A gun designed to shoot through schools. It's madness!

It is our responsibility to change these perceptions. To grow the acceptance and access to firearms that we wish to become reality. It isn't the NRA. It isn't this message board. It is literally your personal responsibility (and mine) to be a responsible advocate and evangelist for firearms ownership.
there is no gun-culture without us.

I have noticed that a lot of people think they are doing their part when they pay a surrogate like the NRA to do their bidding for them. They feel like their vote and membership in an advocacy group is enough.
It isn't enough, as we have seen recently. The NRA are not miracle workers. You can not pay them so that you may abdicate your own responsibility to educate your fellow man.
That is what progressives do with welfare. Instead of helping their neighbor, the homeless guy down the street or the drug-addled prostitute, they abdicate their responsibility to their fellow man by promoting social "programs" that accomplish very little, if anything at all. Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing the NRA to a welfare program, I am using it as an object lesson in how easy it is to fall into a trap we ALL do at some point. We are human. It is natural to be lazy and complacent. It is natural to do the easy thing. Send money and someone else will take care of it. It is natural to act surprised when it didn't solve the problem.

I have been actively getting people into firearms for about ten years now and have introduced between 10-15 people to them successfully. The people I have worked on are now my friends. All of them. The beauty of this approach is that it's effect is exponential. These folks have gone out and each introduced one or two more people apiece(at a minimum, some much more than that).
The reason this approach works is simple. Once someone shoots for the first time, a switch goes off in their little noggin. They have taken the Red Pill. I believe you can see it in their eyes. It is an empowering and edifying experience. I also firmly believe that the years of indoctrination that are washed away by reality actually contribute to this awakening being so powerful. the lies are exposed.
This new reality opens up many more questions to the average person. What else have I been told that is false?
This is precisely why firearms ownership is so anathema to the progressives. Their progressive movement cannot survive in reality. Only the mechanisms of fantasy and wishful thinking can keep it alive.

Shooting and learning about the reality of firearms is a gateway drug to complete, thorough and independent thinking. It is the only thing I have seen that works almost all the time. It really is amazing.

Get out there and expose a blue-pill progressive to the real world. Tell us about your experience here. I always love reading about it.

I find myself in total agreement. While the NRA does its thing in the halls of Congress, we as gun enthusiasts have the opportunity to demystify our sport to those unfamiliar, one person at a time. Whether it is taking a non-shooter to the range, or putting a young person on the stool at my reloading bench and have them create the ammo they then go out and fire, its all about ambassadorship, and the impression we make on others. Not to mention, I love to be there when a novice makes a headshot on an IDPA target. The smile on their face is priceless!

I concur.

JoeLink I'm sure would agree to a point and that's why the site was started.

We need to make and take a personal vested interest in securing the future of firearms in this nation. It starts one person at a time and debunking the myths.

Just recently:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...r-had-the-most-fun-ive-had-in-a-while.189681/

I'm waiting for more people to target (no pun intended) to take them to the range.

I believe that even those who aren't active shooters (no pun intended) but have a small amount of experience in their last still should be brought along as well. That's where we get those moderate supporters who say "I'm a gun owner and I like extensive background checks". That idea and Notion must be resolved by showing that even a "here use my gun" would require a check because you are being handed a gun.

Facts pale in comparison to a relationship.

Great thread! My buddies often call me an ambassador for firearms. I jump at the chance to get new people involved in the shooting sport, constantly remind our elected officials that stripping our rights is not one of the duties of office (for whatever good it does), and am very vocal with friends and family about facts and falsehoods about 2A issues.

I recently changed the opinion of a couple of my female in-laws by inviting a vanload of family members out shooting. Their whole outlook was changed once they saw firsthand that guns are a tool that when used safely, can be a whole lot of fun. They seemed very impressed once they realized gun owners aren't all knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, inbred, morons. One of them is a kindergarten teacher, and had such a change of heart, she allowed her husband to buy a 9mm a short time later. She was also impressed when he called me to ask for assistance picking one out, that I only agreed to help, if he purchased a gunvault at the same time, since they have children.
Not trying to pat myself on the back, just trying to give some examples others may be able to use to help our cause.

Last Edited:
This has been my experience as well. This gal comes from an extremely privileged background, has need for nothing and implied no one needed guns. But after dumping mag after mag, she seemed to have a different perspective.

I made her wear the As Seen on TV Ov-Glove for safety reasons :D

161846-5d830d79da1f991ff5a4b5e482eca716.jpg

There is a special feeling in seeing someone shoot for the first time. :)
I have been reading a lot of comments online stating "where is the NRA?"....WE are the NRA!
Good to see people taking action.

There is a special feeling in seeing someone shoot for the first time. :)
I have been reading a lot of comments online stating "where is the NRA?"....WE are the NRA!
Good to see people taking action.
Exactly.

My favorite are women (of course) because in my experience when they are introduced to the sport correctly, they realize how well they can actually shoot, and it is empowering. A Ruger 10/22 and something like a Walther P22 or Ruger 22/45 Lite are game changers due to minimal noise and low recoil.

Guys just need to leave the 12ga and 30-06 home sometimes :eek:

Good thread, good OP. This same discussion is happening in a few threads, and perhaps that's a really good thing. The comments about change starting one on one are spot on in my opinion. I've introduced a couple to guns and take every possible opportunity with those who have an open mind and are willing to listen, to make a reasoned case for the rights of Americans to unabated gun ownership. I have to admit I've been guilty in the past of letting others do it for me, but in the last year or two, that has been changing.

Remember, tonight, 6pm, Clackamas County Commissioners - be there if you can to stand up for a pro-gun resolution! I'll be there. Maybe I'll even invite Martha Schrader out to the range :D

The other reality that changes a mind....:(:eek:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/brutal-home-invasion-scars-heal/story?id=24588314

Not nearly so pleasant as a day at the range, though...;):)

I have seen that one before, and your right! The harsh reality is what will strike deep to the truth!

The other thing that truly works is numbers, all your friends, family and co-patriots that show up at town hall meetings, speaking truth, in a very even tone, without too much decorum.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top