JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always found sighting in to be more work than fun. My old scope served me well for many years but it was a cheaply and fogged up in the rain and cold for the last several years. I replaced it this year along with the ammo since my original supply finally dried up... I don't shoot this much its a hunting rifle.

So I wanted to see if I could move the group over and out to 200 yards so I asked my friend and he took me to the TCGC 200/300 yd range but I didn't know they don't allow you to set up a 100yd target in line. We only had a couple hours and no time to drive back and forth to ranges with setup time but I was able to see that I could put rounds on paper at 300 yards while I was there so I made no adjustments and saved ammo. I was also disappointed to learn the hard way they didn't have sandbags to borrow, although I have a Harris bi-pod witch really helps there is still a lot of human error shooting out that far with the shoulder free to move and being hot summertime out I didn't have much for any improvised padding like a heavy jacket to put down...

ug, the nuances of sighting in. I just want my group to be centered on the bulls eye. I don't think I will get a chance at the range before hunting season so I'm thinking of going back out to my spot in the woods this Sunday. I have one spot that's 0-200 yards and another in a clear cut that goes out to 400yds (but is a huge pain to walk thru).

Does anyone else find this more work than fun? (deep down inside I'm having fun but its still work...)
I thought your observance that TCGC does not provide sand bags interesting, and for the most part they don't, and definitely do not at the 200-300 yard line. However if you go down to the 100 yard line, they do usually have a few.
However, since you have a bi-pod, that should be a moot point. All you need is something to put under the but stock to keep it from going up and down and sideways when you breathe. Set up the bi-pod and whatever you are using at the rear for support. If you can pick up a bunny bag they work well.

Let me share something that has worked for me when I first start setting up and sighting in a new scope/rifle. I start with a 50 yard target. Usually plain white paper with a stick-on dot so that I can see the bullet holes more easily. I fire 2 or 3 rounds to see where the rifle will group. Next thing is prop the rifle up in a real solid rest, like on a bi-pod and get it aimed at the same point I used for shooting, i.e. the stick-on dot. Then without moving the rifle I dial the cross hairs to the group that I shot. Then I move to the 100 yard line and repeat the process.
This takes most of the work out of sighting in, and saves ammo as well.

I am also a member at TCGC and would be happy to help if you like. If I knew how to send a private message on this board, I would have, but that does not seem to be an option.:)

resurrecting this to share results of my saga...

Screenshot_2017-08-12-18-34-29.jpg

screenshot_2017-08-12-18-34-29-jpg.383669.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top