JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With Friends Like The NRA ... This is a must read. I posted this about a tear ago. everybody needs to read it before joining the NRA

I have to admit, the JPFO have the best positions, the best arguments. If everybody jumped-ship from all the other gun groups and joined JPFO we would be living in a better world. But that's not going to happen. Right now, like them or not, the 800lb gorilla is the NRA. Individual members of congress fear them. If we keep the pounding drum of "no compromise", we can steer them. We cannot afford to be divided. Just one man's opinion.

If you look at the political muscle the NRA has in DC considering they (we) are only 4.5 million out of a total population of over 300 million, I would say they are very effective. Now at 10% of all gun owners, how many of a "vocal minority" would it take to steer the NRA? I don't have a guess, but more is better. Maybe we should be e-mailing the NRA with "no compromise" statements just as with senators and representatives.

Any other ideas?

Because, "numbers of members" in any one org is not such a paramount issue overall.
Overall, number of members in all related pro-2A orgs is a little more significant.
The overall voice however of ALL GUN OWNERS speaks volumes.
And, that is what we are seeing today.
Add to it that the NRA and all other pro-2A orgs is growing daily, and then well.... You've got something.
So, at least I'm not looking for a fight with you, but am only pointing out that your alleged concern over the NRA membership, or lack thereof is insignificant.
Did you know that the membership of the AMA (American Medical Association) is only 23% of all doctors?

I can agree with you on most of your opinions, but when you concentrate the power of position and numbers in one group, as always, a vocal minority can steer that group. The Left has been doing this with great success since before we were born. We have to be on the tiller. Let them know where WE stand.

(edit)
No compromise or I will take my business elsewhere.

Last Edited:
I am the one saying that we ALL need to work to get that 10% higher. You all seem to be perfectly happy with 10% so I am happy for you. Apparently the reason there is only 10% is the rest are liberals...

Why are you so focused on the 10%?

Do you have the remotest idea of what you're talking about? Show me another group with 10% penetration of it's gross potential constituency that charges an annual membership fee to BE a member. You're acting like 10% is a small number. IT IS NOT. And that number has been growing like weeds for the last couple of years.

Now I actually hand people an NRA registration form about 200-300 times a year. Some become members, some don't. If you're honestly taking the position that the problem with the NRA is that it's not large enough, you can always sign up as an NRA recruiter and they'll send you registration forms to hand out.

I've been working in issue politics for 30-odd years. It's a rule of thumb that 5% do 95% of the work. People dont' get more involved with NRA specifically for lots of reasons. People don't get involved with ANY gun-rights group, mainly because they don't have the time, money or motivation and think others will carry the weight for them. That's true of ANY issue advocacy organization. The majority of members in JPFO, GOA SAF, GOAL etc are ALSO members of the NRA. In terms of raw numbers, there are relatively few who join one of the others and not the NRA.

Now I've explained it to you. Again.

Do some research on issue advocacy organizations, demographic representation, effects of charging dues, percentage of people actually working vs. merely signing a piece of paper etc and then come back and talk about how "small" 10% penetration is.

Ok then 10% is good enough for me too. I am sorry I strived for higher. I am sorry I suggested seeking ways to improve that, it is apparently good enough as it is.

At NO point did I say it was a small group. I did say it was small compared to the numbers of gun owners out there.

I don't understand why wanting to improve/increase things for pro-gun is bad but that seems to be what I keep getting back.

Apparently I am wrong so I am done with this thread.

"Draw a line in the sand... No Compromise" is the line in the sand we should send to the NRA. also if so many people are not members then join and then tell them that you will stop your membership if they do compromise, also tell tell them to take your name of the junk mail list so you will not be bombarded. no excuses now why your not a member

Well I am glad the question keeps getting dogged.

Part of the reason you have 10% membership and thats high for any form of membership when your strictly talking about donation based membership. I am not sure of any other user group that has that many users having even 10% participation.

Part of the reason is I dont think a lot of Americans ever thought that we would need to rise up to protect our rights that were granted us in the 2nd amendment.

I for one am guilty of thinking it would never reach this point. For that I apologize. I give you all my word I will never again feel secure of my civil liberties. I fight tooth and nail for my childrens future civil liberties.

NWcid said "Sounds like you are the ones that want someone else to do everything for you".

True Dat, they are liberals & that is exactly how they think. Lazy Bastages!!!

Like it or not, when the NRA wins in any situation to protect your rights. Unless you want to give up your 2A rights to spite them!!! Then carry on & move to another nation.

:s0123:Anyone saying anything bad about any pro-gun lobby or group is only hurting our cause! If one person is turned away or doesn't donate to fight our war against the anti-gunners by what you have said, you are just as bad as the ones that want to take our rights away. Fighting between our self's takes away the time we could be writing our senators or representatives. We don't have time for this bull so if you have something bad to say about any of the pro-gun groups than just know your hurting everyone here and looking like a fool at the same time! Have a nice day!:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top