JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
pu1.JPG pu2.JPG pu4.JPG
Well folk, just looking for some thoughts.
Got this Mosin in trade for my Mauser. I took it out of the Monte Carlo stock it came in and put it into the refinished wood stock from my other Mosin.
It is an ex-PU, 4 welded mounting holes and scope SN on the side. It is a Izhevsk with a Tula (star) bolt body. Refurb mark and firing proof on barrel shank. #s on barrel shank, bolt body, and floorplate of magazine match, butt plate is an unmatched with Izhevsk arrow in triangle.
It has not been counter bored.
My question is an honest one. Do you guys think I should use this as a project (shorten, thread barrel), or should I trade it off for a regular infantry rifle. Either 91/30, m44, or t53.
A couple differences I noticed between this and my other 91/30. Back of the receiver is angled on both sides of the cocking knob/assembly. Instead of angled on one side and semi-squared on the other. 1 piece (round bottom) front sight. Also, the back of the receiver where the mounting hole is, it is a little taller and wider. Enough so that it wouldn't fit into my Archangel stock. But that's just manufacturing tolerances?

Last Edited:
If you are like me you'll end up with nothing but modded Mosins. I sold all of my standard configurations and just kept modding the two I kept. They shoot better now as they are. In my opinion that is.

I may get another beater to refinish and hang on the wall some day.

No doubt. Like the other one, I will make any I get suit my needs and more comfortable.
I just know some guys look for the ones that are ex snipers, but not sure if it is worth more to someone else as it is or if I should go ahead and chop it. If the weather isn't bad, I am going to go shoot it tomorrow to see how it does.

Ex-PU is worth around $20-50 more than the reg ones, AFAIK. The thing is, the Mosin market is in flux right now due to the changes in the fed regs affecting Russian imports.

Given the potential increase in price, you may want to just hold on to it for a couple of months, get yourself a "grade B" type of gun with a nice bore and mod THAT, just in case the price runs up a lot in value.

Or trade it for two of them if you can sell the guy on the value. :D

OTOH, a lot of folks think the only reason to have a Mosin is to make it better. ;)

I went ahead and started working on it. Threaded the barrel for a brake and squared the sear, and put a spring on the trigger. Going to get another grade 8 bolt tomorrow that I will bend and flatten into shape for a turned down bolt handle like my other one.
I may or may not shorten it. I'm still undecided. I'll see how the 20" performs before I cut this one down. With the brake on, it is just over 30" from bolt face to end of the brake.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top