JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Andrew Jackson was a colorful and irascible character. He, however, has never been in good historical graces with me because of what he did to my Cherokee ancestors. Many old Cherokee Elders would never carry a $20 bill because of his picture. I have been fortunate to have driven the Trail of Tears east to west. Cannot imagine walking all that way in winter with everything I had left hand carried or packed on my back. BTW- the US Army under Jackson's orders completely disarmed the People long before that walk.

image.jpeg

I wish our currency had more of a standard look , size , shape , and feel.
I teach in a Special Needs class.
When our money changes faces or design , especially the coins , it is difficult to teach what is what and what it is worth to some of my students.
The bills aren't too bad , at least it has a monetary value on it , but still some of my students do better with faces than with numbers.
Many of my students just memorize who or what is on a bill or coin and have a tough time understanding that a $5.00 bill is worth more than a $1.00 bill , if they are presented with both as a single bill.
Memorizing who or what is on each coin or bill , gets tougher for them with each change.

Just throwing my thought out there.
It really dosen't make a difference to me , as I never get to keep twenties around in my wallet for very long anyway . LOL
Andy

I wish our currency had more of a standard look , size , shape , and feel.
I teach in a Special Needs class.
When our money changes faces or design , especially the coins , it is difficult to teach what is what and what it is worth to some of my students.
The bills aren't too bad , at least it has a monetary value on it , but still some of my students do better with faces than with numbers.
Many of my students just memorize who or what is on a bill or coin and have a tough time understanding that a $5.00 bill is worth more than a $1.00 bill , if they are presented with both as a single bill.
Memorizing who or what is on each coin or bill , gets tougher for them with each change.

Just throwing my thought out there.
It really dosen't make a difference to me , as I never get to keep twenties around in my wallet for very long anyway . LOL
Andy

This is a good point. Didn't Ray Charles always want to be paid in ones so he could count the cash and not be cheated?

Interesting phenomenon these days is most of my students (I work in elementary ed) either know money REALLY WELL or have zero concept. The kids who tend to know cash well are the ones who parents work blue-collar jobs (construction, landscape, restaurant staff, etc.) or who help out at their family business (one of my 5th graders helps run a register at his family's laundromat on the weekends!). The kids who seem to have zero concept of cash ironically come from the middle to upper income. They're just used to seeing their parents whip out a plastic credit card or pay with their phone.

Oh, and US cash is counterfeited worldwide. It's gotten very sophisticated.

Check out this master counterfeiter at work in this video in Lima, Peru... jump to 16:30.

It's pretty impressive... too bad he doesn't apply those skills to a legit industry!

Andrew Jackson was a colorful and irascible character. He, however, has never been in good historical graces with me because of what he did to my Cherokee ancestors. Many old Cherokee Elders would never carry a $20 bill because of his picture. I have been fortunate to have driven the Trail of Tears east to west. Cannot imagine walking all that way in winter with everything I had left hand carried or packed on my back. BTW- the US Army under Jackson's orders completely disarmed the People long before that walk.
So, how do you feel about the fact that they took their black slaves with them?

I hate identity politics :( and that's all this really is - placating "groups" of people based on gender and race. What a load of crap. I have nothing against Harriet Tubman, in fact I greatly respect her accomplishments, but really, is that why she's being put there? I'd say no, it's to placate the "groups" who feel disenfranchised.

Perhaps it's time to take people's faces off our currency altogether. Maybe replace them with things like the damn Bill of Rights - so maybe a few more Americans would read the thing and get to know what it's all about.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top