JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
teepee.. you just start with tinder though and then lay incrementally larger fuel on (after the tinder is lit) til you have a freaking bonfire that'll burn huge logs tossed on there.

The correct way? .... whichever way works for you I suppose

I use a modified teepee/log cabin - log cabin on the bottom with teepee on top. The log cabin lower perimeter and some small cross members with smaller stuff underneath or even a fire puck to get it going allows for nice bed of hot coals as the smaller stuff falls into itself and adding incrementally larger pieces of wood without snuffing out the fire by laying across the larger (not huge) perimeter pieces. Those perimeter pieces do burn up obviously, but by then everything is going well.

Mike

Got an interesting lesson on fire building while up in Canada a few summers ago. We were at a wedding reception at a remote location and someone decided a fire would be a good idea. There was plenty of wood and kindling around but it had rained the night before so most of it was still damp. After a few failed attempts, someone asked the native Indian if he would start the fire. Really nice guy. He gave instructions on how to set up the tinder, kindling, and wood. He says, looks good, be right back. He walked over to his pickup, comes back with a can of gas, pours some on the wood, and then starts the danged fire. He just laughed and said "you white guys make things wayyy too complicated!"

When I was in an explorer post in middle school for SAR I would carry small road flares and a small bottle of gasoline in my camp pack. Started fire everytime.
More important to keep it under control and make sure you have something to put it out near by.

When I was in an explorer post in middle school for SAR I would carry small road flares and a small bottle of gasoline in my camp pack. Started fire everytime.
More important to keep it under control and make sure you have something to put it out near by.
Yup. Nothing like a 7-1/2 minute fusee when you need to start a fire.
They've been a requirement in my packs since forever.

Got an interesting lesson on fire building while up in Canada a few summers ago. We were at a wedding reception at a remote location and someone decided a fire would be a good idea. There was plenty of wood and kindling around but it had rained the night before so most of it was still damp. After a few failed attempts, someone asked the native Indian if he would start the fire. Really nice guy. He gave instructions on how to set up the tinder, kindling, and wood. He says, looks good, be right back. He walked over to his pickup, comes back with a can of gas, pours some on the wood, and then starts the danged fire. He just laughed and said "you white guys make things wayyy too complicated!"
Thats sounds like my Father in law. A cherokee indian, he believes in copious quantities of gas for fire building.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top