JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Eight, No Nine Reasons Why the Hi Point is Better Than the Mini-14 (as promised)

1. Can find it on any street corner and only costs a dime bag
  2. Can stuff it in my tracksuit waistband or my drop down prison style jeans
  3. Can shoot it gangsta style so it hits harder than an AK
  4. Can disassemble for cleaning by firing it
  5. Street cred, baby. Nothing says you the man like a Hi Point.
  6. A Mini-14 won't let you check your white privilege
  7. Can have it jeweled just like my grill
  8. Easier to chuck out the passenger window just before the PIT stop.
  9. The chicks dig it
So now the Hi Point better than a Mini, and the mini better than the AR.

Eight, No Nine Reasons Why the Hi Point is Better Than the Mini-14 (as promised)

9. The chicks dig it

What's a "Dime Bag?"

9. The chicks dig it

That's good stuff right there! You definitely need to do a video now!

Oh?!.. Id actually really like to see a video on that!
Truthfully Id pick an SKS over a mini 14 any day.
I'd pick my old trusty SKS over any of my other rifles if I had to have one mid powered cartridge. 10 rounds of 7.62 that go exactly where I want them, and a stock that feels like an old friend. Me, I'd pick my SKS over an AR any day. Heresy on here? Likely so. But I can also strip and detail an SKS in my sleep practically. Having owned one since age 13, it would be my choice. It was my first real gun outside of a .22. I have a number of rounds through them that I don't even want to consider.

All of you who are hating on the Mini 14, have you actually ever fired the newer 580-581 series Mini 14?

I have a Mini 14 model 5819 stainless tactical model and it is a great gun! It is extremely accurate and extremely reliable.

IMG_0216.JPG

All of you who are hating on the Mini 14, have you actually ever fired the newer 580-581 series Mini 14?

I have a Mini 14 model 5819 stainless tactical model and it is a great gun! It is extremely accurate and extremely reliable.

View attachment 373326

First off, no hate here, just calling BS when I hear BS and stand behind my comments, but to answer your question...no mine have all been in the 180-185 range.

Being me, a contrarian by nature, I take this "Mini 14s suck" talk as a challenge. I have in mind to get one and see just how accurate I can make it. Why buy a "1MOA out of the box" AR when you can have a Project! Besides, it's based on my beloved Garand action, so it can't be all bad.

Being me, a contrarian by nature, I take this "Mini 14s suck" talk as a challenge. I have in mind to get one and see just how accurate I can make it. Why buy a "1MOA out of the box" AR when you can have a Project! Besides, it's based on my beloved Garand action, so it can't be all bad.

I'd take @01rednavigator 's advice above. Ruger did really make a lot of advancements in accuracy compared to the earlier rifles. I don't think they will ever get to AR accuracy levels, but plenty good for defense and critters within a reasonable range.

I would much prefer an AR over a Mini-14. Overall the AR is the better gun. Easier to make accurate, and much easier to keep accurate. Optics are easier, magazines are cheaper. There's also a lot of triggers available to improve what it came with, unless it already came with a match grade trigger (does any of them do that? o_O). Plus you could always do a retro build with an AR if you're into that sort of thing.

Only reason I'd get a Mini-14 is to put an accu-strut on it to make it look like a mini version of the M14.

8 reasons why the SKS is better than the Mini 14....
Do we really need 8 reasons to get a SKS instead though?
5. Still not buying into the whole DI vs piston argument.
Can't really compare to the two. ARs vs other designs, the designs are different and can't say its the piston that makes the difference. I fail to see a point whenever people bring up "its a piston" when comparing two different designs. :confused:

Well, if you want a challenging project. I dare you to get a FAL and try to bring it down to as close to 1 MOA as possible. :rolleyes:

Jokes aside, a really accurate AR is also a project. If you want to squeeze as much accuracy as possible out of the design, you have to build it up yourself instead of getting it out of box. For the most part anyways.

My best buddy (recently departed, RIP, Bob) had a stainless Mini 14 that he brought along when we would travel down to a friends ranch to shoot ground squirrels. His favorite part of the trips were when he would watch me shoot at the squirrels with his Mini 14, which frequently turned into a mag dump with dirt, rocks, gravel flying everywhere as the squirrel would bob and weave before scooting back down his hole. Best part about it, we would get to shoot at the same squirrels next trip because the only way we could hit one with the Mini was if the poor critter randomly ran into one of the bullets! The bolt actions were generally one and done and boring in comparison. (Although the aerial displays were sometimes breathtaking :D)