JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The guy did a good job of that. I noticed he tried to skim past the one huge problem, accuracy. He mentioned they (Ruger) have worked hard to "improve" this and claims they have but saves the test for another time. Back when these were a lot cheaper than AR's I played with them a little. The accuracy was always the big downside. Some did fine, but too many were only able to get AK accuracy. He said now they claim 2MOA. I have yet to see or handle the newer ones so who knows. The cost now is what makes me not even look at one. You can get 2 AR's for the price of one. The damn little rifles keep selling so there has got to be a following.
Traded my Mini-14 in on a new Sig M400 with a Romeo optic. Upgraded and still had the same ammo

I'll admit it, I like the Minis. I've shot a lot of them over the years and still have one (Mini-14 Ranch Rifle) in the battery. It has been a fine plinker, truck gun, and varmint carbine.

That said, in this day and age, the AR platform has advanced far beyond what it used to be. You can find, or build, an AR to do just about anything these days. Many will be as good, or demonstrably better, than the Ruger offering, and many are available at a lower cost. Unless one likes a traditionally styled carbine (we do exist), the AR is the likely better bang for the buck.

I actually don't hate Hi-Points. Yes, they are ugly, and heavy as a brick. But the .45 I owned was very accurate and fully reliable. The carbines are even better - would still have one except for the single-stack magazines. But hate them, nope.

Glocks! Surely you hate Glocks!o_O

Though I own a few ARs, Im quite drawn to the mini-14.. Not sure if I agree with all the points in the video.. But it certainly did bolster my mini 14 lust..
However the SKS is next in line for my "buy list"...So the mini 14 will have to wait.

Im also not keen on yet another proprietary magazine Ill have to stock up on. Thats whats kept my from buying one. If Ruger could get their mini 30 to accept AK mags and their mini 14 to accept AR mags Id buy both in a heartbeat.

Though I own a few ARs, Im quite drawn to the mini-14.. Not sure if I agree with all the points in the video.. But it certainly did bolster my mini 14 lust..
However the SKS is next in line for my "buy list"...So the mini 14 will have to wait.

Im also not keen on yet another proprietary magazine Ill have to stock up on. Thats whats kept my from buying one. If Ruger could get their mini 30 to accept AK mags and their mini 14 to accept AR mags Id buy both in a heartbeat.
8 reasons why the SKS is better than the Mini 14....

In about 1985 I bought a new stainless factory folder mini-14.
A lot cheaper than a AR-15. Fun plinking rifle for shooting cans.
Then in a moment of insanity I put a scope on it.:eek: Tried shooting
groups with unfavorable results. Heard the Ranch Rifle was more
accurate. Sold the folder:confused: for a Ranch Rifle. It shot a little better
but not much.o_O I have owned 3 different Minis. Later I bought a
Colt Ar-15 HBAR. Sub inch groups I could not come close to with
the Mini. Sold the Mini's years ago. My experience with Mini 14's.
Never seen any rifle throw brass like that Ranch Rifle.:eek:

I bought mine used for well under what they sell for new today. It's a stainless model. As for accuracy, I haven't put it to the hard test yet, but when I got it, the previous owner had installed the 3rd-party 'accurizer' strut. So far, I've been pleased with it, but it could use some better glass. I have to admit, one of the things that draws me to the Mini is the Garand-style action. I've gained a real fondness for the M1 and M1A/M14, so to have another gun that runs off a very similar action, I just happen to like it. The rifle also fits me really well. But if I needed to grab a 'battle' rifle, I'd choose the AR for a few simple reasons - lighter weight, lighter mags and easier to swap mags quickly. But for pure fun, I actually enjoy the Mini at the range more than the AR.

Don't know if they did anything about it but the range was another problem for these things back when I was playing with them. They would toss brass 2o yards. Great for pissing off the people on your right. :)
Even back then now and then one would come out that was quite accurate. I had heard tell Ruger several times took one that would print well and tried to figure out how to make it repeatable. Just did not seem to work well.

Don't know if they did anything about it but the range was another problem for these things back when I was playing with them. They would toss brass 2o yards. Great for pissing off the people on your right. :)
Even back then now and then one would come out that was quite accurate. I had heard tell Ruger several times took one that would print well and tried to figure out how to make it repeatable. Just did not seem to work well.

I've got a number of guns that will fling brass quite a ways - for that reason, I try to take up a position on the far right of the range, whenever it's available. Otherwise, I try to put some distance between myself and the other shooters. Never fails though, someone will plunk down 1-2 lanes away when there are 10-12 open lanes available.

I had one guy a few weeks ago show up a 1/2 hour into my shooting. I was on the far right lane. He sets up 3 lanes away. This was at DRRC, with I think 38 lanes total? There was only one other guy there and he was on the opposite end, but this guy sets up close to me. When I start packing up, he makes mention that the muzzle brake on my AR was throwing off his chronograph - said it was actually reading my muzzle blast. He didn't say it in an angry way, but it made me wonder - he saw what I was shooting, so why set up so close when there is room to spread out?? It's kind of like when a guy steps right next to you in a restroom when there are 10 other available urinals. Why do people do that?? :rolleyes:

Glocks! Surely you hate Glocks!o_O

You would think, but the presence of them in my safe would say otherwise ;)

Truthfully, not my favorite guns. I own them because they work, parts are easy to find and I love swapping calibers in a single gun, which is easy to do with them.

But perhaps your question calls for another video :rolleyes::

Part II is even funnier:

Last Edited:
I've got a number of guns that will fling brass quite a ways - for that reason, I try to take up a position on the far right of the range, whenever it's available. Otherwise, I try to put some distance between myself and the other shooters. Never fails though, someone will plunk down 1-2 lanes away when there are 10-12 open lanes available.

I had one guy a few weeks ago show up a 1/2 hour into my shooting. I was on the far right lane. He sets up 3 lanes away. This was at DRRC, with I think 38 lanes total? There was only one other guy there and he was on the opposite end, but this guy sets up close to me. When I start packing up, he makes mention that the muzzle brake on my AR was throwing off his chronograph - said it was actually reading my muzzle blast. He didn't say it in an angry way, but it made me wonder - he saw what I was shooting, so why set up so close when there is room to spread out?? It's kind of like when a guy steps right next to you in a restroom when there are 10 other available urinals. Why do people do that?? :rolleyes:
Huh? Never had that experience in a men's room?:eek::eek::eek:It must me your
irresistible aura. :confused:

When I start packing up, he makes mention that the muzzle brake on my AR was throwing off his chronograph - said it was actually reading my muzzle blast. He didn't say it in an angry way, but it made me wonder - he saw what I was shooting

What kinda muzzle device you running?

The best reason I've found to own a mini 14, cos it's not an AR15!
If your ever having accuracy problems with your mini there is an easy solution. Or come to think of it, it's best to sell it cheap and buy an AR "platform"

I have to go wash my fingers after typing that word again..you know the thing I use to stand on while I paint my house/shop..The platform :eek:

What kinda muzzle device you running?

Field Sport stainless 3-port competition muzzle brake:

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG