JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Right now Im eating a salsa heavily flavored with Dave's Insanity Sauce which made heavy use of pure Capsaicin extract. My nose is running, my eyes are watering and if it wasn't for some releif with a brief sip of milk in my house I don't think I could handle it.

However I heard you NWer's have access to even hotter stuff than my Dave's Insanity Sauce which is Dixie's BBQ which serve's a special hot sauce known as "The Man". My Dave's Insanity Sauce is 180,000 scoville units, which is 36x hotter than Tobasco Sauce. "The Man" is rumored to have as many as 500,000 scoville units!

Has any of you been to Dixie's BBQ? I think I MIGHT like to visit it sometime, but I'm not quite sure Im ready to handle "The Man". Who here has tried it, what was it like, and do you recommend it for tourists such as myself who might be in the area?

edit: Video link so people know what I am talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGq5c6CqK4

I haven't been to Dixie's in years, but it was good last time I went. Gene was a great guy - always had something unusual out on the BBQ. He ran an auto repair place in the back and the restaurant out front. He'd run around trying to bait people into trying "The Man" - I've seen a few people try it, but I always passed. I'm not sure it would be the same experience without him around anymore.

I have heard rumors about the stuff and know a few friends that have met "The Man". Never knew the name of the place though.

The line would go out the door and almost around the building some days. "The Man" would walk up and down the line chatting with people. He once walked past me, stopped, then turned around to tell me "Man, you look like a bad dude". Then asked how my overweight friend was doing using the following phrase: "How you doin', big bad mamma-jamma".

Going to Dixie's was great, but the last time I went, I was disappointed. It's just not the same without the big guy.

I've met the man at Dixies a few times. A dime sized dollop on your meal is enough to bring tears. Its ridiculously hot and ruins the food. All you can taste is heat and pain.

Last couple of times I went there, I remembered how bad it is and said "no thanks" to the man. It really is the hottest hot sauce out there.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

I agree with edogg.

I ate there twice when I lived in Seattle 10 years ago. I tried their hottest sauce and it was so hot it must have temporarily shorted out my taste buds because I couldn't taste the meat. The next time I tried their next cooler sauce and it was good...but I've had better.

I met the man a few times between 2004 and 2007. It's for real. If you're in Seattle area and looking for HOT also check out a place in Kirkland called the Wing Dome, if it's still there. They have a pretty insane hot sauce too. if I remember right, the only way to get the full-on HOT wing was to order your way up to it, passing the various "tests" along the way.

Last time I met the man was back in 03 or 04. I was working for a gun shop, and the gunsmith and I kept encouraging each other to kill more of it. Probably put away at least 2 teaspoons worth of it. No joke, it's the hottest thing I've ever tried. Makes the #7 wings at Wingdome seem like Tabasco.

Right now Im eating a salsa heavily flavored with Dave's Insanity Sauce which made heavy use of pure Capsaicin extract. My nose is running, my eyes are watering and if it wasn't for some releif with a brief sip of milk in my house I don't think I could handle it.

However I heard you NWer's have access to even hotter stuff than my Dave's Insanity Sauce which is Dixie's BBQ which serve's a special hot sauce known as "The Man". My Dave's Insanity Sauce is 180,000 scoville units, which is 36x hotter than Tobasco Sauce. "The Man" is rumored to have as many as 500,000 scoville units!

Has any of you been to Dixie's BBQ? I think I MIGHT like to visit it sometime, but I'm not quite sure Im ready to handle "The Man". Who here has tried it, what was it like, and do you recommend it for tourists such as myself who might be in the area?

edit: Video link so people know what I am talking about
Ive had the man sauce before. i had just a toothpick-tip full of it, and lemme tell you. i was running around, sweating, crying, stuffing bread into my mouth, chugging milk, and heavily breathing. Its DEFINITELY a good tourist attractions, but only for die-hard spice lovers. unfortunately, since Dixie's has shut down, there is no more Man Sauce. Luckily my dad was good friends with the owner, so he got a bunch of it before he died

In the dim reaches of the past, when I was in College, I had a roommate whose mother was a public health doctor based in the Panama Canal Zone. "Canal Zone" may tell you how long ago that was, and it was quite some time before it was given away!

At any rate, his Mom had a hobby of raising hot peppers. She sent him a packet of dried pepper flakes, which we used when we made Best Seasons Italian Dressing. We would put one flake in the cruet when we mixed the batch. We avoided consuming the flake when using the dressing, since such consumption would result in a "near-death" experience. It was a mistake made only once! :eek:

I stopped by Dixie's once with the GF du jour waaaay back in the early 90s when Dixie's was getting a lotta press in the Seattle PI (Post-Intelligencer).
We waited in the line around the building for about an hour, and when we finally got our BBQ, Gene came around trying to get us to take some of The Man.
I knew enough not to be taken in by his "gentle goading", and I'm glad I didn't, once I saw how it affected others who were not so wise as me...

Yes I had a chance try, "The Man" hot sauce years ago. I just took a toothpick of it and wow it was super hot. I know the guy past away some time ago now.

Met The Man once (in Tacoma). People kept telling me how great it was. Wasn't impressed. At all. The hot sauce was just a gimmick to cover up the fact that the food was tasteless. Even the hot sauce was boring, just a chemical taste, no flavor. Yeah, it was hot. So? Is that all you've got?

People kept telling me how great Warthog BBQ in Fife was. They were wrong.

They said the same thing about Caveman kitchen in Kent. Wrong again, but at least their Dragon Wheels had some flavor to them.

Branks BBQ in Sumner gave me food poisoning, so F*(# them, too.

I'm of the opinion that they just don't know how to do BBQ in the Tacoma area.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top