JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a conversation with a friend about the probability of other intelligent life in the universe. He thinks there is none, so I did some thinking and napkin math and sent him an email. I thought some people here might find it interesting too.

upload_2017-3-14_6-12-29.png

Speed of light: 299,792,458 meters per second. So let's round it off to 300,000,000 meters per second.

Fastest speed achieved by us in space: 252,792,000 meters per hour. So let's be generous, add 20%, and round that off to 300,000,000 meters per hour.

If we compare those two metrics then we have only achieved 1/3600th of the speed of light, or 0.03% of the speed of light.

Now, the closest stars to our solar system are Alpha Centauri A and B (a binary pair) and they are 4.22 light years from Earth.

At our current fastest speed it (with the rounding increase of 20%) would take 15,192 years to travel to Alpha Centauri A and B.

If we were able to speed up 100x then it would still take 152 years. That would require 3-5 generations of people living and dying on the space craft. That is just to get to the closest stars in our galaxy.

Now, the Milky Way. It is estimated to be 100,000 light years across, and contain 100 billion stars.

With the 100x speed up it would take us 3,600,000 years to traverse the galaxy.

Moreover, our galaxy is moving through space. It is estimated that the Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda galaxy in 3.5 billion years. This is important since it is entirely feasible that we could miss a radio signal simply because of this movement.

I believe there is other intelligent life out there. It is feasible they are less advanced or more advanced than us. Heck, it has only been 114 years since the Wright brothers flew at Kitty Hawk.

Look at Mars. It is evident there were liquid-water flows on the surface of Mars, and that perhaps due to a failure of the planet's magnetic field the solar winds gradually stripped away the atmosphere (and any life on the planet).

So even if an advanced society was able to travel at 100x our current best speed, they're probably 250+ years away from us.

Perhaps they're on the way… :)

Then after sending that email an article appeared.

Seven Earth-size planets have been discovered orbiting a tiny nearby star, and six of them appear warm enough that liquid water--necessary for life--could exist on their surfaces, European astronomers said.

Called Trappist-1, the dwarf star, located about 40 light years away from Earth in the constellation Aquarius, is so small that it is barely bigger than Jupiter, the largest planet in our own solar system. Yet it is home to the largest collection of Earth-sized planets found in the galaxy so far, the scientists said. They made their findings public in the journal Nature Wednesday.

Per my previous posting, if we were able to go 100x faster than today it would take 14,400 years to get to Trappist-1.

Astronomy is a hobby of mine and the discussion of life elsewhere is always interesting.
My favorite theory as to why we have not been contacted by other advanced life forms
is that they did come to our planet and observed; and then left.
It seems they found no intelligent life here.
It sounds valid to me. I mean, if you saw our planet and observed us for a period of time
would you let yourself be known? I'd run like the wind back to where I came from......:)

As for my opinion, it is impossible for there not to be life out there.
It may not be carbon based or even recognizable to us but in a universe that we can't even
imagine the expanse of and say there is no life there is not reasonable.

I also do not believe the speed of light is an insurmountable barrier.
Once we believed 60mph was impossible. Then it was the sound barrier.
The speed of light should be no different. Yes, science says it is impossible....now.
20 years ago I would have been blind and yet here I am seeing quite well tyvm.............
Science will find a way........unless we blow ourselves up first of course........with science......:eek:

Just my opinion of course.

Personally I think it's pretty arrogant to think we are alone in the universe. Chances are there are millions of civilizations more intelligent, interesting and advanced than us, after all we have really only been capable of getting off the ground for a generation.

I have a running argument with an old friend of mine about his mis-belief that there's no gravity in space.
Try as I might in educating him about celestial bodies and Newtonian laws of physics he always refers to astronauts floating in space as they circle the earth as his proof.

Check out some of Neil deGrasse Tyson's stuff. But don't bother if your a closed minded christian,as he's not a believer by any means.
Anyway he says the universe is fairly rich with everything to make humans and life so he's pretty sure it's out there.

We are a greater "animals" than many other species we use as food sources. My wish is than when we do find extra terrestrial life they do not determine that we humans are a resource for them. Be careful who you invite to your house for dinner they may not want to be friends.

We are a greater "animals" than many other species we use as food sources. My wish is than when we do find extra terrestrial life they do not determine that we humans are a resource for them. Be careful who you invite to your house for dinner they may not want to be friends.
Maybe they have been here and are waiting for the harvest?

Maybe they have been here and are waiting for the harvest?
If that is true and that assumes they are significantly advanced the only control we have is wether we choose to accept our fate or to fight regardless of the odds of success. I personally will choose to fight for at that point i will have nothing to lose. It is like any other invader that chooses to disrupt my live

I have a running argument with an old friend of mine about his mis-belief that there's no gravity in space.
Try as I might in educating him about celestial bodies and Newtonian laws of physics he always refers to astronauts floating in space as they circle the earth as his proof.

Well, I suspect there are plenty of places in space with no perceptible gravity, and if you can't feel it is it really there?

Of course it is :D

He doesn't take into account that the astronauts living aboard the international space station are falling around the earth at around 17,500 mph, hence the floating in space effect.

I had a conversation with a friend about the probability of other intelligent life in the universe. He thinks there is none, so I did some thinking and napkin math and sent him an email. I thought some people here might find it interesting too.

View attachment 349538

Speed of light: 299,792,458 meters per second. So let's round it off to 300,000,000 meters per second.

Fastest speed achieved by us in space: 252,792,000 meters per hour. So let's be generous, add 20%, and round that off to 300,000,000 meters per hour.

If we compare those two metrics then we have only achieved 1/3600th of the speed of light, or 0.03% of the speed of light.

Now, the closest stars to our solar system are Alpha Centauri A and B (a binary pair) and they are 4.22 light years from Earth.

At our current fastest speed it (with the rounding increase of 20%) would take 15,192 years to travel to Alpha Centauri A and B.

If we were able to speed up 100x then it would still take 152 years. That would require 3-5 generations of people living and dying on the space craft. That is just to get to the closest stars in our galaxy.

Now, the Milky Way. It is estimated to be 100,000 light years across, and contain 100 billion stars.

With the 100x speed up it would take us 3,600,000 years to traverse the galaxy.

Moreover, our galaxy is moving through space. It is estimated that the Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda galaxy in 3.5 billion years. This is important since it is entirely feasible that we could miss a radio signal simply because of this movement.

I believe there is other intelligent life out there. It is feasible they are less advanced or more advanced than us. Heck, it has only been 114 years since the Wright brothers flew at Kitty Hawk.

Look at Mars. It is evident there were liquid-water flows on the surface of Mars, and that perhaps due to a failure of the planet's magnetic field the solar winds gradually stripped away the atmosphere (and any life on the planet).

So even if an advanced society was able to travel at 100x our current best speed, they're probably 250+ years away from us.

Perhaps they're on the way… :)

Then after sending that email an article appeared.

Seven Earth-size planets have been discovered orbiting a tiny nearby star, and six of them appear warm enough that liquid water--necessary for life--could exist on their surfaces, European astronomers said.

Called Trappist-1, the dwarf star, located about 40 light years away from Earth in the constellation Aquarius, is so small that it is barely bigger than Jupiter, the largest planet in our own solar system. Yet it is home to the largest collection of Earth-sized planets found in the galaxy so far, the scientists said. They made their findings public in the journal Nature Wednesday.

Per my previous posting, if we were able to go 100x faster than today it would take 14,400 years to get to Trappist-1.
Cool! And with the discovery of the new planet system life could very well exist! We are launching a probe to land on the planets and test for water, oxygen/air level, and bacterial life.

Looking back at the history of man is becoming more interesting every year. If this old earth could only speak of the influences historic man applied to the ancient monolithic stone or other devices like the Antikythera Mechanism.

There is quite a bit of genius involved but as it the case of machined blocks of Puma Punku for instance who was it that rented them the tools?
Silver Hand

Just contemplating the "magnitude of space" that exists between the likes of Pelosi's/Schumer's ears is mind boggling enough for me...the "gravity" of that is very concerning.
Especially considering it's not the only source of endless vacuum trying to control our lives in DC. While there may be life in that space, it isn't intelligent, benevolent, or nearly as superior as it may think it is.
Kind of feel the same about the current white house administration. At least say what you mean.

back in my teens, my buddies and i had many "enlightened:rolleyes:" conversations about space and the universe. the conclusions we came up with led me to believe that i think there are others out there but im not willing to find out. im perfectly fine without(that we know of) space aliens roaming around planet earth.

i dont do much "enlightening" any more LOL:D

Check out some of Neil deGrasse Tyson's stuff. But don't bother if your a closed minded christian,as he's not a believer by any means.
Anyway he says the universe is fairly rich with everything to make humans and life so he's pretty sure it's out there.

Ehhh come on now. We don't judge gun owners by how inner city gangs act. That's quite the blanket being tossed.

Besides, everyone has a theory or idea based upon mathematical computations derived by squiggles on a chalkboard.

There are a lot of planets orbiting a lot of stars. Mathematically speaking there could be some capable of supporting life but does that mean there is life? That's the question.

Ehhh come on now. We don't judge gun owners by how inner city gangs act. That's quite the blanket being tossed.

Besides, everyone has a theory or idea based upon mathematical computations derived by squiggles on a chalkboard.

There are a lot of planets orbiting a lot of stars. Mathematically speaking there could be some capable of supporting life but does that mean there is life? That's the question.
Not sure what you're saying but I know there are many christians on here and he is very much not christian.
I wasn't calling all christians 'closed minded' so cool your little jets. I simply said IF you are a CLOSED MINDED christian. I was in no way insinuating or saying all christians are closed minded
Again calm down,you closed minded kid you:cool: :D
Cool?o_O

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top