JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes there is:

AKAGUN20-9-D.jpg
I love AKs, but the sights and safety could be improved....do like the Israelis did with the Galil, but otherwise, KISS.

I agree with everything else you've said there, but when a piece of metal is heated, every distinct point on it gets further away from every other point, whether there is a hole trough it or not. This means that the chamber should actually get a bit larger.
You might be right, I'm not a science guy. Just my experience that chambers seem tighter when hot. Might be something totally different. :)

It could be that temperature differences between the various pieces, like the locking lugs on the barrel versus the locking lugs on the bolt make it seem to be tighter.

I agree with everything else you've said there, but when a piece of metal is heated, every distinct point on it gets further away from every other point, whether there is a hole trough it or not. This means that the chamber should actually get a bit larger.

I'll chip in a bit of personal experience: When I was working repairing sawmill equipment, we often had to shrink sprockets and gears onto shafts. To do that, we would bore the sprocket smaller than the outside diameter of the shaft, then heat the sprocket enough to ship onto the shaft. My boss taught me to heat just one small arc of the sprocket, which would expand, opening up the bore. He explained that when you heated whole part, the outer part of the part kept the bore from expanding at the same rate, in effect preventing the bore from expanding.

I'm sure that this was a situation where complex factors modified the theoretical results, but I can see where the chamber of the M4 could shrink if the outside part of the barrel/receiver stayed cooler than the inner surface of the chamber. This is the sort of thing that takes the Government a couple of years and several million dollars to test, producing a report that doesn't give any decisive answers, except justifying more testing.

I'll chip in a bit of personal experience: When I was working repairing sawmill equipment, we often had to shrink sprockets and gears onto shafts. To do that, we would bore the sprocket smaller than the outside diameter of the shaft, then heat the sprocket enough to ship onto the shaft. My boss taught me to heat just one small arc of the sprocket, which would expand, opening up the bore. He explained that when you heated whole part, the outer part of the part kept the bore from expanding at the same rate, in effect preventing the bore from expanding.

I'm sure that this was a situation where complex factors modified the theoretical results, but I can see where the chamber of the M4 could shrink if the outside part of the barrel/receiver stayed cooler than the inner surface of the chamber. This is the sort of thing that takes the Government a couple of years and several million dollars to test, producing a report that doesn't give any decisive answers, except justifying more testing.

I see what you mean. I was assuming a relatively uniform temperature throughout the piece. I suppose it could be possible. This is the kind of thing my old physics professor would typically assign for a research project.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top