JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was considering retiring my 1973 Walther PPK/s with a new stainless version. Two things stopped me. The first was price. At around $700 -$800, it doesn't fit the $ to value matrix. I would still buy it at $700 just because I like them and have had one for around 35 years.

The one thing that is the real stopper is the milled sights. I don't know why Walther milled the rear sight. When I tried Federal HST's in my PPK/s it suddenly started shooting a little high and to the left. The height I can deal with and I can drift the rear sight on mine - the HST is snappier than my old Federal HP's. What happens if the same thing happens with the new one with no way to adjust the sights?

Last Edited:
Great little guns.
They had a staggered magazine long before the High Power came out.

View attachment 718643
I have one too, that dates to 1914. I had one 25+ years ago that I really liked but foolishly sold. The one I have now I bought as a replacement a few years ago.

There is an interesting data mining study regarding stopping ill-intended people with firearms. Pretty interesting: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association
Thank you. That's the one I had in mind when I first posted. If you look closely at all the stats, it seems to indicate that there's not very much difference in actual effectiveness between the .380 on up to the .45 acp. The .357 mag and up look clearly more effective, and the .32 acp and down clearly less so.

I just thought it was interesting, but I would still feel better with a bigger gun. Statistics tell part of the story, and not every self-defense incident fits into the statistics. Mostly what I found interesting was how some people use these studies to say 9mm is king, and there is no need for anything bigger, but don't mention that the little .380 stacks up pretty well too, statistically, even though it's significantly less powerful than the 9mm.

I don't carry all the time, but I have a Shield 9mm, and a LCPII .380, and like them both. I have an old FN Browning .25acp too, but don't carry it. Looking at the statistics, it's definitely better than nothing, but the failure rate on pipsqueak calibers is a lot higher.

Last Edited:
Thank you. That's the one I had in mind when I first posted. If you look closely at all the stats, it seems to indicate that there's not very much difference in actual effectiveness between the .380 on up to the .45 acp. The .357 mag and up look clearly more effective, and the .32 acp and down clearly less so.
I liked the discussion below the tables, particularly this part:

"Some people will look at this data and say "He's telling us all to carry .22s". That's not true. Although this study showed that the percentages of people stopped with one shot are similar between almost all handgun cartridges, there's more to the story. Take a look at two numbers: the percentage of people who did not stop (no matter how many rounds were fired into them) and the one-shot-stop percentage. The lower caliber rounds (.22, .25, .32) had a failure rate that was roughly double that of the higher caliber rounds. The one-shot-stop percentage (where I considered all hits, anywhere on the body) trended generally higher as the round gets more powerful. This tells us a couple of things...

In a certain (fairly high) percentage of shootings, people stop their aggressive actions after being hit with one round regardless of caliber or shot placement. These people are likely NOT physically incapacitated by the bullet. They just don't want to be shot anymore ..."

There is strong anecdotal evidence that the sharp muzzle blast from rounds like the 357 Magnum have a 'shock and awe' psychological effect as well, not entirely unlike a flash-bang device. I'm still using a silencer equipped firearm for HD; I don't want my kid or wife to end up as deaf as I am.

James Bond's PPK:

"7.65 mil, with a delivery like a brick through a plate glass window"
I guess that .32acp is quite the hand cannon? :)

The shrink-wrapping of 9s into .380 sized packages has tended to push .380 to the back burner. The Mossberg MC1 lacks only a double-stack magazine to be a truly confidence inspiring carry piece. The MC2 solves that, but in a substantially larger and thus, harder to conceal weapon. Ah, we can always hope.

Big jump, though, between a Bodyguard in 380 and a G19. Between those two sizes I've got several in incremental sizes:

Kahr P380
Kahr CM9
S&W Shield
Sig P365XL
Glock 27

and THEN a Glock 19

I like me some options

I'd like to find a medium-size 380 auto that is a recoil operated, locked breech design. The blowback pistols are surprisingly "snappy".
Back in the 80s, shot a Sig P230 at a demo day. You are right. More recoil than one would expect. Might look for a Star or Llama 380, as they were locked breech, being a mini-1911. Colt Pony maybe.

Back in the 80s, shot a Sig P230 at a demo day. You are right. More recoil than one would expect. Might look for a Star or Llama 380, as they were locked breech, being a mini-1911. Colt Pony maybe.

Yes, I have a P232 and it's a beautiful gun, but it feels like a small 9mm due to it being blowback and lightweight. Especially with hot loads.. Had a SL previously which is much heavier, but then that defeated the purpose of a slim carry piece. Supposedly the new Walther CCP M2 380 has quite low recoil due to its gas buffering system.

Do any of you own a GLOCK - G42 in .380?

How do you like it for a small conceal carry pistol?

What factory ammunition do you like the best for this Glock model?

Two or three top favorite brands and in what grain? FMJ or HP?

I am thinking about this for my husband.

He usually carries a Glock in 45acp 95% of the time or his Beretta Bobcat Inox in 22lr at his gym.

Thank you.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews